Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 10:22 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,199,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
They might be the Big Least but do realize the teams are still better than the CUSA teams that show up each week. Some of the additional rumored teams are #5 Boise St and #18 Houston, both who have looked better than the Big Least teams. If you look outside football, they are still a power basketball conference. They still have UConn, Georgetown, Nova, Notre Dame, etc. If you don't think they will bring in fans to see those games vs seeing Rice or UAB show up, you are really kidding yourself. With WVU now leaving, I would say the UCF thing is very close to a done deal.
I'd be surprised if Boise State joins the Big East, seeing where they are geographically located or maybe that doesn't matter any more when travel costs are considered. Think of all of those cross-country trips for hoops ...

As far as bringing in fans for football, I would think the rematch against UAB would sell out, considering this year's outcome. How can you compete with teams like Boise State when you can't even beat FIU or SMU ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 08:23 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,453,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
I'd be surprised if Boise State joins the Big East, seeing where they are geographically located or maybe that doesn't matter any more when travel costs are considered. Think of all of those cross-country trips for hoops ...
You could ask West Virginia the same thing. Closest school in their new conference is 850+ miles. Farthest is over 25 hours away. We are in a new age of college sports where regional ties are all but gone.

Quote:
As far as bringing in fans for football, I would think the rematch against UAB would sell out, considering this year's outcome. How can you compete with teams like Boise State when you can't even beat FIU or SMU ?
Remember the opening of the new stadium and how excited people were for them playing Texas, a game they were completely outmatched.

You bring in those big teams and if those teams fall everyone wants to say I was there. This is why fans show up more for those games.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:37 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,343,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Remember the opening of the new stadium and how excited people were for them playing Texas, a game they were completely outmatched.

You bring in those big teams and if those teams fall everyone wants to say I was there. This is why fans show up more for those games.
Agreed, I am not a UCF alumni but follow and cheer for the hometown team (As long they don't play my Gators, however I've more to cheer for with UCF this year). If they joined a AQ conference I would probably buy season tickets to watch them play better caliber teams. Even the ravaged Big East would be an improvement as they could rekindle the rivalry with USF and play teams like Louisville who I would pay to see. And than basketball, forget about it, they would be playing the best in teams in the country. No reason they shouldn't bring in a great crowd every night at the arena.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:30 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,056,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Agreed, I am not a UCF alumni but follow and cheer for the hometown team (As long they don't play my Gators, however I've more to cheer for with UCF this year). If they joined a AQ conference I would probably buy season tickets to watch them play better caliber teams. Even the ravaged Big East would be an improvement as they could rekindle the rivalry with USF and play teams like Louisville who I would pay to see. And than basketball, forget about it, they would be playing the best in teams in the country. No reason they shouldn't bring in a great crowd every night at the arena.
Yeah, no kidding. I am also a Gator alum with the same view towards UCF as you. Not enough people are talking about the impact of UCF playing against those teams every year. They would get better recruits and have far more fans in the seats. Of course you'd have a lot of fans of the competition in the house, much like a Lakers game in Orlando, but the atmosphere would be competitive and good for basketball in Orlando.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:01 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,343,504 times
I would defenitley pay to see a Big East powerhouse play basketball but I wouldn't be cheering for anyone other than UCF (unless of course that other is UF). My thing is I have not motivation to watch UCF play UAB. I would love to see UCF play Louisville, Cincinatii or Rutgers in either football or basketball. Unfortunatly it seems the Big East is a sinking ship, even Louisville is rumored to be leaving. At this point UCF may be better off staying in the conference USA/Mountain West Superconference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando