Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:01 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckHereinFL View Post
Yes, my general disdain for my situation has caused me to exaggerate slightly on the shortcomings of Orlando and the downtown area. It (downtown) is not as bad as I have said. It is probably one of the better things about the area, but that's not saying a whole lot.

It is decent, but not exceptionally beautiful or accommodated.
I think the Lake Eola is quite nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 10:23 PM

49 posts, read 99,568 times
For the original poster- It sounds like you've found a lot to like about the Orlando area. And you also have some genuine discontent- however, the areas you are not content in are ones where you have the ability to change. Working in restaurants? You have thousands to apply to. Don't like working in restaurants? Then find something else. Do what you love, be smart about it, create the life you want. Friends- what are you interested in? Get involved in your interests and you'll meet people with similar ones. The less attention you give to the phonies, the thugs, the people whose energy you don't enjoy- the less of your energy you give them. Focus your energy on the things and people that feel more energizing. Your energy is within your control and no one else's.

Ultimately, circumstances don't create your life. Your thoughts and attitude create it- the circumstances fall into place to match what you're focused on. Not in any magical way, simply that we do different things when we think different things- spend all your work time mentally agonizing over what's wrong with living here and you're not likely to be seen as an enthusiastic, upbeat employee- it will show in how you do your job and the options available to you for employment. See yourself as moving on from here? Your actions and words will connect you with those who plan to move on.

Anyway, tell me where I'm wrong, but this is more about you and finding yourself and how you fit into the world wherever you are than about Orlando.

Or not. But hey, you got some free life coaching anyway

Old 10-14-2011, 05:15 AM

81 posts, read 154,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextBigAdventure View Post
For the original poster- It sounds like you've found a lot to like about the Orlando area. And you also have some genuine discontent- however, the areas you are not content in are ones where you have the ability to change. Working in restaurants? You have thousands to apply to. Don't like working in restaurants? Then find something else. Do what you love, be smart about it, create the life you want. Friends- what are you interested in? Get involved in your interests and you'll meet people with similar ones. The less attention you give to the phonies, the thugs, the people whose energy you don't enjoy- the less of your energy you give them. Focus your energy on the things and people that feel more energizing. Your energy is within your control and no one else's.

Ultimately, circumstances don't create your life. Your thoughts and attitude create it- the circumstances fall into place to match what you're focused on. Not in any magical way, simply that we do different things when we think different things- spend all your work time mentally agonizing over what's wrong with living here and you're not likely to be seen as an enthusiastic, upbeat employee- it will show in how you do your job and the options available to you for employment. See yourself as moving on from here? Your actions and words will connect you with those who plan to move on.

Anyway, tell me where I'm wrong, but this is more about you and finding yourself and how you fit into the world wherever you are than about Orlando.

Or not. But hey, you got some free life coaching anyway
good point. and this is true for everyone, but we don't always know it. thanks.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:30 AM

812 posts, read 1,676,010 times
Quote:
Oh no I'm sorry did I hurt your feelings by bashing Orlando? Excuse me. Boohoo.

You know nothing about my background or personal story. Some people are stuck in places for different reasons. I'm actually out of work because the job market in Orlando is horrid, one of the worst in the country. My wife is pregnant. After the baby is born we'll be out of this hellhole faster than you can get through downtown using the 408 during rush hour.

As for downtown being something great, please. You must like the look of a downtown divided by an elevated interstate highway with generic, half-empty "high"rises without a decent hotel in sight. Good for you. Many people don't, they prefer more character.
Good luck!

Old 10-14-2011, 07:31 AM

78 posts, read 117,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Downtown Orlando is quite nice. Nicer than rustbelt places like Buffalo, Syracuse, Detroit or Cleveland.

Pitt is probably the only city, next to chicago that's nice in the midwest
I don't know much about Buffalo or Syracuse. Cleveland downtown actually does have a lot to offer. It's not without it's bad areas. But there is a lot there.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:32 AM

78 posts, read 117,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
Good luck!
My family is most important to me. This area is not a good area to raise kids. Another reason I do not like it.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
This area is not a good area to raise kids.
Yeah it's horrible. Absolutely horrible!! Nothing for kids to do on the weekends all year round, every single school in the district is failing, No culture, no animals to see that you can't see about anywhere else, no fishing in either fresh or salt water, no beaches, no choice of watching the sunrise on the ocean, then watching it set on the gulf. Just absolutely horrible... it's disgusting that I even think about raising my kids here. I am such a horrible parent!!

Old 10-15-2011, 09:47 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
Yeah it's horrible. Absolutely horrible!! Nothing for kids to do on the weekends all year round, every single school in the district is failing, No culture, no animals to see that you can't see about anywhere else, no fishing in either fresh or salt water, no beaches, no choice of watching the sunrise on the ocean, then watching it set on the gulf. Just absolutely horrible... it's disgusting that I even think about raising my kids here. I am such a horrible parent!!
So you and the kids drive to the east coast for the sunrise and then over to the west coast for the sunset - bullcarp ! And what do your kids do for 5 months (especially their summer school vacation) when the temps are 95 and humidity at 100 ? Out fishing on the lake are ya ? Looking for animals in the woods that no other state has ? Heading for the latest impressionist exhibit in Orlando ? Swatting sand flies at the beach ?

Rah-rah-cis-boom-BLAH ...

Old 10-15-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
So you and the kids drive to the east coast for the sunrise and then over to the west coast for the sunset - bullcarp !
Why not?

Old 10-15-2011, 11:28 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
It's 95 degrees in FL in the summer but what about the 5 months it's freezing in the winter in other states? What about the states where it's freezing 5 months out of teh yr, and also hot and unbearable in the summers too? TX in the summer? Alabama/Mississippi in the summer? Louisiana in the summer? Those aren't just as bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando