Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:34 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I guess sophisticated means going to "world-class" museums every single weekend? Have fun with that. I'm 36 and still love theme parks so I guess I am low class. Orlando is a polarizing city. Clearly there are a lot of people that love it and a lot of people who hate it.
Yup, thank god I have my Chicago family, and my good friends in New York, who are truly World Class and spend their time living in suburbs, sometimes eat at chain restaurants, watch football instead of ballet or Broadway, and drink beer at small hole-in-the-wall bars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 05:19 AM

812 posts, read 1,675,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Grossly indefensible ... hardly Theodore.
Really? If that the case why did you reply:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
If I have to tell you and King Spring what sophisticated folk do, that tells me on what side of the spectrum you both lie.
Instead of defending yourself?

You wouldn't know a world class event from a buffalo chip contest.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:06 AM

629 posts, read 1,721,560 times
A smart person once told me that you can have everything you want in life, you just can't have them all at the same time.

Some people get it and they understand that there will always be tradeoffs in life (i.e. living where wifey wants to live among us 'hicks') and they'll grin and bear it knowing that their decision to get married is going to limit their other options. Others will spend their lives complaining about their situation, but never bothering to put in the effort required to change it. C-D tends to attract a lot of the latter.

If Orlando doesn't have the activities that someone enjoys they should find somewhere else that does and go there. We only get one go-around at life so we might as well find a way to enjoy it. There are no bonus points at the end for spending much of your life a miserable complainer.

I find plenty to do in the central Florida area. It doesn't have all that I want so I live the snowbird type of lifestyle. If I was to get married that would probably have to stop. Fortunately, getting married, having kids, where we live, the type of job we have are all CHOICES we get to make. Complaining about the choices that we made is pretty much akin to saying "I screwed up but I'm too lazy to change it". I choose not to be one of those people and I'm grateful for the many C-D posters who are the same way.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:09 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I guess sophisticated means going to "world-class" museums every single weekend? Have fun with that. I'm 36 and still love theme parks so I guess I am low class. Orlando is a polarizing city. Clearly there are a lot of people that love it and a lot of people who hate it.
Wrong! Repeating a singular event over and over (meaning either museums or amusement parks) does not define the term sophisticated which instead relates to intellectually complex, and is probably why many who identify in any form as sophisticated have issue with living here. Orlando is not an intellectually complex city.

Definition of SOPHISTICATED

: deprived of native or original simplicity: as
a : highly complicated or developed : complex <sophisticated electronic devices>
b : having a refined knowledge of the ways of the world cultivated especially through wide experience <a sophisticated lady>
: devoid of grossness: as
a : finely experienced and aware <a sophisticated columnist>
b : intellectually appealing <a sophisticated novel>

Old 11-18-2011, 06:14 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Default All in the attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
People sometimes complain (or mis-characterize would be the better term) that there is nothing to do in Orlando other than theme parks. Well this past weekend I faced another common and growing problem...too many things to do. Friday night caught up with old friends at numerous happy hours throughout downtown. Saw a huge crowd outside the Beacham for what I later found out was a rare club concert by the Killers. Happy Hour was not a good idea because I was unable to attend the 5K in the morning my cousin invited me to run in. Immediately after that was the Veterans day parade which my office mate invited me too. At the same time just down the street was the huge "Orlando Calling" music festival that featured multiple headliners including Bob Seger, Kid Rock, The Killers, The Roots, Kid Cudi, Blake Shelton. On Sunday I headed into work for hours but get caught in traffic for the "Come out With Pride" festival that basically shut down all of Lake Eola. Finished up some work just in time to get to the Dwight Howard Magic All Star game at UCF arena. The event was a defenseless dunkfest with the Old School Magic Players v. New School Magic Players. Their were multiple entertainment acts and the teams were coached by Boxing World Champion Floyd Money Mayweather and rap/pop icon Lil Wayne. The whole event ended up being an Orlando love-fest with Penny Hardaway getting the largest ovation of the night. Immediately after came out and enjoyed a little time at Light Up UCF and finally ended the weekend. What a boring place to live? Maybe one of these weekends I'll just go to the themeparks.
Love your post and I love when people go out and enjoy their surroundings instead of complaining that there's nothing to do!! Hope you have another great weekend coming up!

Old 11-18-2011, 06:26 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2MT View Post
A smart person once told me that you can have everything you want in life, you just can't have them all at the same time.

Some people get it and they understand that there will always be tradeoffs in life (i.e. living where wifey wants to live among us 'hicks') and they'll grin and bear it knowing that their decision to get married is going to limit their other options. Others will spend their lives complaining about their situation, but never bothering to put in the effort required to change it. C-D tends to attract a lot of the latter.

If Orlando doesn't have the activities that someone enjoys they should find somewhere else that does and go there. We only get one go-around at life so we might as well find a way to enjoy it. There are no bonus points at the end for spending much of your life a miserable complainer.

I find plenty to do in the central Florida area. It doesn't have all that I want so I live the snowbird type of lifestyle. If I was to get married that would probably have to stop. Fortunately, getting married, having kids, where we live, the type of job we have are all CHOICES we get to make. Complaining about the choices that we made is pretty much akin to saying "I screwed up but I'm too lazy to change it". I choose not to be one of those people and I'm grateful for the many C-D posters who are the same way.
I agree.

However I find your post overly simplistic in that you suggest people who are disenchanted with Orlando simply move. I'm not sure of your economic standing obviously but for most the concept of selling a home that you might be upside down in, finding a job in another city and the dollars involved in the physical move are at best daunting in this economy.

So the concept of "choices" by definition is not so much and not a by-product of "I screwed up" for many rather a result of job transfer, family health issues or other extinuating circumstances perhaps.

Not everyone comes skipping to Florida with wide-eyed wonder because they heard it was a great place to live, though it makes it more neat and tidy to blame it on the person who ultimately complains about it.

Lastly this forum isn't labeled as a meet and greet for those who extol the virtues of living here, and I am grateful for the varying viewpoints when in fact many utilize this forum to decide whether or not to move to a particular city or area. Representing Orlando as a mecca for all is irresponsible and does nothing to further any agendas other than those who feel insecure in their ultimate choice of place to live.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:35 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree.

However I find your post overly simplistic in that you suggest people who are disenchanted with Orlando simply move. I'm not sure of your economic standing obviously but for most the concept of selling a home that you might be upside down in, finding a job in another city and the dollars involved in the physical move are at best daunting in this economy.

So the concept of "choices" by definition is not so much and not a by-product of "I screwed up" for many rather a result of job transfer, family health issues or other extinuating circumstances perhaps.

Not everyone comes skipping to Florida with wide-eyed wonder because they heard it was a great place to live, though it makes it more neat and tidy to blame it on the person who ultimately complains about it.

Lastly this forum isn't labeled as a meet and greet for those who extol the virtues of living here, and I am grateful for the varying viewpoints when in fact many utilize this forum to decide whether or not to move to a particular city or area. Representing Orlando as a mecca for all is irresponsible and does nothing to further any agendas other than those who feel insecure in their ultimate choice of place to live.
I hope my response is high class enough...you are doing the exact same thing...in reverse.
People who love it here like to talk about how much there is to do.
People who hate it here like to talk about how much they hate it.

Both paint it with a broad brush.

That being said, you can to to a Country Bar or a Symphony. You can go to Krystals or La Cordon Blue.
You can go to a stock car race or the Morse Museum. A dirty little flea market or Tiffany's.
And the list goes on................
The point is, just because the haters can't find something to do, doesn't mean the place is boring. It's just boring to you. An you know what? That's not our fault.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:56 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Wrong! Repeating a singular event over and over (meaning either museums or amusement parks) does not define the term sophisticated which instead relates to intellectually complex, and is probably why many who identify in any form as sophisticated have issue with living here. Orlando is not an intellectually complex city.
Right on Kyle, Orlando is an intellectually challenged city.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:39 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
I wonder why some people expect Orlando to be a sophisticated and intellectual city in the first place.

Did someone bill it as such?

Old 11-18-2011, 02:47 PM

72 posts, read 177,475 times
Your definition of sophisticated sounds more like stuck up and snobby. If that's what we have to have to be a "sophisticated and intellectual" city then I hope it never comes. Also by reading the last post that leftee has blessed us with I hope that you don't call yourself sophisticated after telling someone to "go dump your bedpan" you may be in a different strata but it sure as hell isn't sophisticated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando