Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2011, 08:05 PM

49 posts, read 99,493 times

Advertisements

We're here and somewhat settled (if there is such a thing) and are going to Legoland with a group on Monday. We need to be there by 9:30 am, google maps estimates about an hour and a half drive time. The unknown factor is rush hour through Orlando. I could leave early and simply take I-4, come what may. How early would I want to leave? (Let's just say I'd be getting on I-4 at 46A at that time....) Should I be okay simply leaving by 7? (ugh... but if I have to...)

Or do I hop on 417 and pay the tolls all the way down to where it rejoins I-4? Seems to go fairly out of the way and I keep reading about tourists "gettting lost" on 417. Seems odd to me, as it looks as if it would be pretty straightforward. Are there generally backups on 417 as well?

Thanks to anyone who can help out with this- all the local traffic info I can find is aimed at tourists who don't seem to be flying into Sanford at 7am...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 08:57 PM

27,186 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextBigAdventure View Post
We're here and somewhat settled (if there is such a thing) and are going to Legoland with a group on Monday. We need to be there by 9:30 am, google maps estimates about an hour and a half drive time. The unknown factor is rush hour through Orlando. I could leave early and simply take I-4, come what may. How early would I want to leave? (Let's just say I'd be getting on I-4 at 46A at that time....) Should I be okay simply leaving by 7? (ugh... but if I have to...)

Or do I hop on 417 and pay the tolls all the way down to where it rejoins I-4? Seems to go fairly out of the way and I keep reading about tourists "gettting lost" on 417. Seems odd to me, as it looks as if it would be pretty straightforward. Are there generally backups on 417 as well?

Thanks to anyone who can help out with this- all the local traffic info I can find is aimed at tourists who don't seem to be flying into Sanford at 7am...
I-4 rush hour through Orlando is an unknown factor and something as simple as a distressed motorist with a flat tire can upset the whole apple cart in terms of commute time through town. Though longer, I would recommend using the 417 as there is never a back up and traffic flows at a quite respectable 70-75 mph. In terms of getting lost on the 417 I have a hard time figuring out how, as it's one direction (north) or the other (south)
I usually can make it to the Haines City (US27) exit on I-4 via the 417 in about an hour flat from 46-A in Lake Mary, so I would imagine 90 minutes to Legoland is a safe bet without pushing too hard.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:43 PM

49 posts, read 99,493 times
Yeah, all I can think as far as getting lost is how confusing and poorly marked the roads have been at times around Boggy Creek near the airport....but that's when you're not on the highway. But I have gotten turned around, in the dark, in that area when picking up my parents at the airport from Disney. Looks like I'll basically be taking it from one end to the other... how hard can that be?

Normally we do take I-4 through Orlando to head that direction, but doing it during morning rush hour just seems like a bad idea when we have to be there at a set time.

Looks like we'll be good as long as we're on the road by 7:45. Now the challenge of getting everyone up and out that early!

Thanks for the input!

Old 11-26-2011, 05:42 AM

27,186 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextBigAdventure View Post
Looks like I'll basically be taking it from one end to the other... how hard can that be?
It's awesome once you've used it once at rush hour and will tell you it's hard to use I-4 again. The 417 obviously doesn't work for downtown Orlando from here but if you're ever headed to the SE/SW side of Orlando, Brevard county (or points south) or headed toward the west coast (Tampa/St Pete)....it's a godsend.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:40 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,856,133 times
The 417 is a pretty safe bet and easy to navigate. a 7 am departure should have you there with some time to spare. have a great time.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:54 AM

812 posts, read 1,674,932 times
I know I'm late for the OP, but for anyone else:

Another option is take the 414 to the 429, sure there are a lot of tolls (made easier by sunpass) but no real traffic. The other thing besides avoiding downtown all together, is you do get some nice views looking to the east as you head down. There is a certain joy I know I get doing 80 getting south of the turnpike, and looking east and thinking of the suckers stuck in traffic in the city.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:55 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,317,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
I know I'm late for the OP, but for anyone else:

Another option is take the 414 to the 429, sure there are a lot of tolls (made easier by sunpass) but no real traffic. The other thing besides avoiding downtown all together, is you do get some nice views looking to the east as you head down. There is a certain joy I know I get doing 80 getting south of the turnpike, and looking east and thinking of the suckers stuck in traffic in the city.
Yeah that's not a bad idea.

Honestly I-4 to US-27 is the most direct route. I think if the OP leaves before 7:30, he/she should be fine to get there by 9:30. I've driven it from Sand Lake Rd before at 7 AM and can generally get near that area in an hour coming from Exit 74/75
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando