Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:15 AM

812 posts, read 1,676,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree, particularly since they've made it as far south as Georgia (Atlanta area). Their new concept stores like Krogers Signature and Fresh Fare would do really well here in my opinion.
I disagree... I had Krogers for a few years while I was in Knoxville, and they lost me to Wal mart all the time. The only thing they had that I would go to them for was sushi, and it wasn't usually that good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 11:41 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
When you really stop and take a close look at whats around you, Publix really does NOT have a monopoly (and this is coming from a Publix associate )

Publix still has to compete with

Super Wal Mart
Wal Mart Neighborhood Market
Super Target
Sedano's
Bravo
Save A Lot
Winn-Dixie
Whole Food's
Chamberlin's (for our DP and Winter Park residents)

And even with all this competition, Publix stores all over town are slammed with customers because we have the best deals and service in town

And for those who think Publix is expensive? Puh-leeeez. It could be so much worse. Really it could. Thats why Gooding's went out of business, their prices were astronomically high, so bad that they went from over 20 stores in Orlando to just 1 (is it even still open) And besides that, if you shop according to Publix's sales, and with coupons you'll spend much less than you would at Wal-Mart. Even at full price, Publix's prices are fair

And since we're talking about grocery chains that will never be down here (like Wegman's) anybody here ever been to Stop and Shop in CT, RI, or MA? They're as expensive as Whole Foods and they're not even an organic store like Whole Foods

As far as Albertson's closing? Truly Im sad to see them go. My dad and I used to shop at their former location (now a Ross) at Osceola Pkwy and Landstar Blvd in Kissimmee, that was where he and I would always go and buy meats for our bbq's. Their meats are pretty good

Albertson's is still alive and well in Las Vegas, but their service and layout of their stores is awful. And after shopping there just one time, I quickly remembered why they were dying in FL. I shopped at Smith's (subsidiary of Kroger) and they were about as close to Publix as I could get in terms of quality and service. I'd say if Kroger were in FL, then maybe Publix would have something to worry about.

Just my two cents. But IMO Publix does NOT have a monopoly, you still have many other choices if you choose not to shop there, if you do shop at Publix however, I'll be happy to take care of you on register 5
Now that you mention they put a Ross at a previous Albertson's, I thought that is what they may put in Lake Mary. The only choices we have for grocery stores are going to be Publix in Lake Mary and Winn Dixie in Heathrow. Both are overpriced IMHO. Other than that, we will have to go to Sanford. In Sanford, we have Super Walmart, Super, Tarrget, Save-A-Lot and Aldi. We won't have much of a selection on this side of town.

Albertson's isn't cheap either but when you get the meats on sale, it's reasonable. I buy a few other things on sale at Albertson's and that's about it. I need a place that sells meats at affordable prices. I don't mind shopping at the stores in Sanford for other things. I'd like a Walmart Neighborhood Market closer in Lake Mary. I know we are spoiled with everything being to so close in the area.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:04 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,689,188 times
Albertsons were really good when I lived in San Diego. I assume they are not good here?

Old 04-16-2012, 12:11 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,056,134 times
Kroger would never bother to enter Florida. Publix already took over the #1 spot away from Kroger in Atlanta where it used to dominate. While it's true that Publix is super-aggressive in opening stores...if the service, product, or price was off with respect to their competition they would not be successful. Consumers are usually right in choosing which stores sink or swim.

Publix takes No. 1 spot in Atlanta’s grocery wars *| ajc.com

Old 04-16-2012, 02:32 PM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idealism View Post
I feel like a struck a nerve with you or something. Do you own stock in the company?

To your points. I did NOT grow up with Wegmans. I was just fortunate to be able to shop there for 3 years while living in NOVA. They're products by and far were cheaper than Publix. The bakery and specialty goods are expensive but of high quality, and that's where they get you. Conventional Chicken Breast was $2/lb at Wegmans and is $4/lb here. Dried pastas were under $1 and are more at Publix. That rings true with most of their products, but if you don't believe me, take a look at some flyers online. I didn't go to Wegmans to shop for items like I would at Whole Foods, but it was nice having the option and a huge array of products, which Publix does NOT have.

To your surprise you might also find out that Whole Foods actually has a much larger variety, quality, and is even CHEAPER than Publix when it comes to produce. Why would I spend $2 for a small package of Dill for example when I can get a huge bundle for $1.69 and it's organic?

Do yourself a favor on the Buy one get one items and check the expiration dates as well. I've found that most the products are expired or nearing expiration.

I shop for certain things at Publix. I live right next to one. It's convenient for me. Now, did they have to build one 3miles down the road from the other one in Windermere? I think it was unnecessary and would have much rather seen a new supermarket, but people like you seem to love the place, and that's fine. I just don't get it is all.

I grew up with A&P, Shoprite, Acme, Pathmark, Kings, etc and it wasn't until years later that we saw a whole foods or wegmans. They were all evenly dispersed and all competed with each other for business. That just doesn't seem to happen here, and hence my poetic license of using the word monopoly.
I agree with all of your points and it seems that most people who live here don't get how it is elsewhere in terms of choice/competition. Other areas have Walmarts and Targets yet still manage to support an array of traditional style grocers also. Like it or not Publix is becoming a monopoly with Albertsons dying off and Winn-Dixie on life support and I don't get those who are eager to support and embrace a one grocer monopoly. Competition lowers prices, improves quality and makes the companies work for innovative ideas to get the customer through the door. If you all suppose Publix is going to maintain lower prices and try harder once the only competition left are the big box-discount markets you're in for a major awakening.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:36 PM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Kroger would never bother to enter Florida. Publix already took over the #1 spot away from Kroger in Atlanta where it used to dominate. While it's true that Publix is super-aggressive in opening stores...if the service, product, or price was off with respect to their competition they would not be successful. Consumers are usually right in choosing which stores sink or swim.

Publix takes No. 1 spot in Atlanta’s grocery wars *| ajc.com
If you bothered to read all of the article you would see where Kroger is diversifying their look with new upscale stores which will probably impact on Publix's market share. One has to also think that Publix is vulnerable in Florida without direct competition. Not everyone drinks the Publix kool-aid and many would love to see some competition.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:08 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I'd say if Kroger were in FL, then maybe Publix would have something to worry about.

Publix beat out Kroger in the Altanta market as the number 1 grocer.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idealism View Post

Do yourself a favor on the Buy one get one items and check the expiration dates as well. I've found that most the products are expired or nearing expiration.
Not true....

Some of the best sales (that you combine with coupons) are on some of the newest items.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:13 PM

We already had a discussion about this in the tread "Publix monopoly."

In Columbia, SC, they have Publix, Kroger, Piggly Wiggly, Food Lion, and Bi-Lo. All are in the same tier of grocery stores. In addition that, they have Super Walmart, a Save-a-Lot or two, and Aldi. They also have a Fresh Market and is building its first Whole Foods.

In Orlando, we have Publix and Winn-Dixie with Sedano's very far behind as far as the same tier is concerned.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:36 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
We already had a discussion about this in the tread "Publix monopoly."

In Columbia, SC, they have Publix, Kroger, Piggly Wiggly, Food Lion, and Bi-Lo. All are in the same tier of grocery stores. In addition that, they have Super Walmart, a Save-a-Lot or two, and Aldi. They also have a Fresh Market and is building its first Whole Foods.

In Orlando, we have Publix and Winn-Dixie with Sedano's very far behind as far as the same tier is concerned.
Seems odd that a bigger city like Orlando has so few choices. As I mentioned earlier in the thread there are a HUGE # of grocery places to shop here in the Sarasota/Manatee area, and this is a small region. I won't repeat the list, (although I did forget Fresh Market and a couple others) .Of course I know that just to the north, St. Pete is about 5 times the population of Sarasota but doesn't have near the choices we have here. I guess it comes down to demographics and what people demand/want. When we lived in Lakeland there was practically no choices there, either, Publix was virtually the only decent grocery in town; and even then did not carry the variety of items I see here. Seems like places with a ton of stores get MORE stores, and others languish. We will be the second city in Florida to get Trader Joe's, too (opening fall, I think) I am really spoiled! Besides the chains there are all kinds of independent markets here, too.

By the way, Kyle you are definitely correct about competition fostering better prices, I see that here. Publix has definitely added more organics to help compete with Whole Foods, and a large independent health store is making big changes to compete with Trader Joe's. My biggest problem is shopping too much and adding to my waistline!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando