Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 08:56 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times

Advertisements

Sad to hear that all Albertson's but the one at 436 across from the mall we be closing their doors by June. I know I shop there for all my meats when they are on sale. Now, the only other options I have are Winn Dixie or Publix. I think they are both expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 09:20 AM

388 posts, read 790,774 times
Publix basically has a monopoly, and until people stop holding them in such high regard, they will continue that way. I don't understand why everyone thinks they're that good. They're prices are through the roof and anyone that has lived elsewhere with better supermarkets like Wegmans, knows Publix is second rate. I had a friend that moved to NOVA from the Orlando area and she used to speak about Publix as if it were some long lost friend or family member. She even went as far as to have a Publix wedding cake. People talk about their subs as if they're the holy grail. Do people here really not know any better? Does it only take a clean store and somewhat friendly staff to woe you? If you've ever shopped at Wegmans you know that the quality is first rate, the selection is huge, and the prices are awesome. I just don't get the unabashed love for Publix, and they'll continue to raise their prices so long as they have no competition.

Last edited by Mr Idealism; 04-13-2012 at 09:40 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 10:26 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idealism View Post
Publix basically has a monopoly, and until people stop holding them in such high regard, they will continue that way. I don't understand why everyone thinks they're that good. They're prices are through the roof and anyone that has lived elsewhere with better supermarkets like Wegmans, knows Publix is second rate. I had a friend that moved to NOVA from the Orlando area and she used to speak about Publix as if it were some long lost friend or family member. She even went as far as to have a Publix wedding cake. People talk about their subs as if they're the holy grail. Do people here really not know any better? Does it only take a clean store and somewhat friendly staff to woe you? If you've ever shopped at Wegmans you know that the quality is first rate, the selection is huge, and the prices are awesome. I just don't get the unabashed love for Publix, and they'll continue to raise their prices so long as they have no competition.
I agree with Wegmans. It would be nice if they came down south.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:58 PM

511 posts, read 854,799 times
I though that Winn Dixie and Walmart were both competition for Publix? Who Knew?? Anyway haven't been to Publix for years but having shopped there quite a bit over my lifetime and worked there for some years in my younger years always found them to be quite good and reasonably priced.

There is definitely something to be said about nice staff and clean stores too, after all it reflects what's underneath as well..

Anyway I remember we shopped mostly at A&P when I was young, too bad they packed up left too..

Old 04-13-2012, 01:30 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Oh man that is bad news. Truly. I enjoyed having Albertsons in Lake Mary by my job for grabbing a quick deli lunch or some groceries on the way home. Actually that plaza in Lake Mary will have 2 very large empty spaces as the K-Mart is also closing soon. Good thing I'll still have an Albertsons in Altamonte where I live though.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:40 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idealism View Post
I spent a few years in upstate NY, and I definitely appreciated Wegmans as a nice grocery store; however, I don't understand how you can give criticize Publix for high prices and give a free pass to Wegmans. In many cases, Wegmans offered products and prices that were more akin to what you find at Whole Foods (aka Whole "paycheck"). The Wegmans bakery was the worst. They would sell their "little specialty cakes" for $8. It was literally the same volume as a slice of cheesecake factory cake that you could buy in a restaurant at essentially the same or higher price. I could find other examples if I really tried.

I've found Publix to be fairly competitive in price with Winn-Dixie or Albertsons, and often cheaper for certain things, especially with their B1G1 specials. Winn-Dixie has had a reputation for less than stellar cleanliness in their stores, and not always being in the best locations. While I've heard they're changing, I have been happy with sticking to publix.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:38 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I spent a few years in upstate NY, and I definitely appreciated Wegmans as a nice grocery store; however, I don't understand how you can give criticize Publix for high prices and give a free pass to Wegmans. In many cases, Wegmans offered products and prices that were more akin to what you find at Whole Foods (aka Whole "paycheck"). The Wegmans bakery was the worst. They would sell their "little specialty cakes" for $8. It was literally the same volume as a slice of cheesecake factory cake that you could buy in a restaurant at essentially the same or higher price. I could find other examples if I really tried.

I've found Publix to be fairly competitive in price with Winn-Dixie or Albertsons, and often cheaper for certain things, especially with their B1G1 specials. Winn-Dixie has had a reputation for less than stellar cleanliness in their stores, and not always being in the best locations. While I've heard they're changing, I have been happy with sticking to publix.
I agree regarding Wegman's, which I always found to be on the expensive side. However the dig against Whole Foods isn't warranted given the supply chain difference. If they were getting their food off the same truck from the same factory farm I would agree, but to lump them together isn't a fair comparison if one pays attention at all to where our food comes from. Anyone who knows how non-factory farm food is produced (particularly beef, chicken, pork) would know that it's going to cost significantly more and why.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:28 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree regarding Wegman's, which I always found to be on the expensive side. However the dig against Whole Foods isn't warranted given the supply chain difference. If they were getting their food off the same truck from the same factory farm I would agree, but to lump them together isn't a fair comparison if one pays attention at all to where our food comes from. Anyone who knows how non-factory farm food is produced (particularly beef, chicken, pork) would know that it's going to cost significantly more and why.
Whole foods sells conventional meat and produce. And often, it's more expensive than what you'll find at publix.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:09 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Whole foods sells conventional meat and produce. And often, it's more expensive than what you'll find at publix.
Perhaps with out of season/not locally available produce but not with their meats. 5-Step Animal Welfare Rating | WholeFoodsMarket.com

In terms of Whole Foods being more expensive than Publix when dealing with conventional produce, perhaps but not always. One would expect a company like Publix which has more frequent buying power to land better wholesale prices.

The end game for the consumer shouldn't always be about price, especially if one has any inkling as to where their food comes from and how it is produced. Of course being Florida where everything cheaper is better, it's an uphill battle to enlighten. I always swear if anyone has read Fast Food Nation or seen the movie Food Inc. we would be having far fewer of these conversations.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:26 AM

812 posts, read 1,675,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr idealism View Post
publix basically has a monopoly,
So does Winn-Dixie, that is if by "Basically" you mean "not at all"

Quote:
and until people stop holding them in such high regard,
Pricing aside, why SHOULDN'T They?

Quote:
they will continue that way. I don't understand why everyone thinks they're that good. They're prices are through the roof
Through the roof? You last shopped Whole Foods when?

Quote:
and anyone that has lived elsewhere with better supermarkets like wegmans
Ok, who are they?

Quote:
knows publix is second rate
Really? Compared to what in this market? Whole Foods? Yeah, ok, that's fair.

Quote:
i had a friend that moved to nova from the orlando area and she used to speak about publix as if it were some long lost friend or family member. She even went as far as to have a publix wedding cake.
Let me ask you this: did she get the cake in one piece? Did the guests and most importantly the bride enjoy the cake?

Quote:
people talk about their subs as if they're the holy grail. Do people here really not know any better?
Depends. Yeah, if I'm bebopping around town at lunch time I'd sure as hell rather hit a Firehouse than a Publix. That being said, if I'm trying to save a buck and know I'll be no where near a resturant come lunch time, that Boars Head meat is the best thing since sliced effing bread... especially if that 'no where near a resturant' is 5-10+ miles offshore.

Quote:
does it only take a clean store and somewhat friendly staff to woe you?
Those are bad things why?

Quote:
if you've ever shopped at wegmans you know that the quality is first rate, the selection is huge, and the prices are awesome.
And they are located where? Oh yeah, the North East... Figures... They have how many stores here why? Sounds that, like Publix, the 'advantage' they have in their market is because of the relationships with the local farmers.

Quote:
i just don't get the unabashed love for publix, and they'll continue to raise their prices so long as they have no competition.
Once again with the 'no competition' thing. I don't get how you see Publix without competition, unless of course you'd be willing to admit that there is no other store in this market that fits exactly where Publix does and is in a class by itself.

So in closing, it appears that you (like your friend you ridiculed for getting a cake) are merely pinning for what you grew up with and are comfortable with. Nothing wrong with that, just need to lay off the blatantly false allegations of monopolistic practices. Honestly, if you were "so right" why isn't Wegmans expanding as successfully as Publix? Why isn't Wegmans here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando