Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 03:59 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,752,988 times

Advertisements

Here are two things that Publix (and other grocery stores) do in other states:

-Doubles coupons $0.50 or less.
-Publix Penny Item: Find the coupon in the Wednesday paper, and you get that item for $0.01 with a $10 purchase.

Guess they really don't have to do that in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 06:59 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,337,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree with all of your points and it seems that most people who live here don't get how it is elsewhere in terms of choice/competition. Other areas have Walmarts and Targets yet still manage to support an array of traditional style grocers also. Like it or not Publix is becoming a monopoly with Albertsons dying off and Winn-Dixie on life support and I don't get those who are eager to support and embrace a one grocer monopoly. Competition lowers prices, improves quality and makes the companies work for innovative ideas to get the customer through the door. If you all suppose Publix is going to maintain lower prices and try harder once the only competition left are the big box-discount markets you're in for a major awakening.
This really is no different than markets in the OH/PA region (dominated mostly by Giant Eagle), or in upstate NY (dominated mostly by Wegmans). There really isn't competition in Pittsburgh against Giant Eagle outside of specialty stores like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. In upstate NY, Wegmans is king. P&C grocers were dying off when I left there (much like Albertsons is now)

53 P&C grocery stores to close, lay off 4,000 | NBC-WKTV News Channel 2 - Utica News, Weather, Sports - | Local News

Of course, like everywhere else, you have the wal-mart or target option

Old 04-16-2012, 08:56 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,583,818 times
Had no idea Publix took over Kroger as the no. 1 grocery store in Atlanta. Thats awesome

One thing I will say about Kroger is that their "Fresh Fare" format derived from their Ralph's Banner in Los Angeles are definitely very nice stores with a beautiful upscale layout.

I dont see why people are are bagging on Kroger, they dont seem like a bad company to be honest. In Las Vegas I shopped at their stores named "Smith's" and I thought they were great stores. About as close to the the level of service I'd get if I went to Publix. Their Angus ground beef which was always on sale for $2.99 a lb was delicious too. Their beer prices were the best too And Smith's consistently gets voted number one grocery store in Las Vegas every year. They had two Fresh Fare stores out there too, one of which was just 2 miles from my house. I loved shopping there. Their prices and the quality of all their fresh meats and seafoods were great in my opinion. And Smith's also carried Boar's Head meats and their BH prices were lower than Publix

I wouldnt mind frequenting a Fresh Fare store if they had one here in Orlando. Although Publix would still probably be my primary grocery store

Old 04-17-2012, 06:43 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
This really is no different than markets in the OH/PA region (dominated mostly by Giant Eagle), or in upstate NY (dominated mostly by Wegmans). There really isn't competition in Pittsburgh against Giant Eagle outside of specialty stores like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. In upstate NY, Wegmans is king. P&C grocers were dying off when I left there (much like Albertsons is now)

53 P&C grocery stores to close, lay off 4,000 | NBC-WKTV News Channel 2 - Utica News, Weather, Sports - | Local News

Of course, like everywhere else, you have the wal-mart or target option
Oh I agree there are areas like that, but they're the exception versus the rule. Just pointing out in general that we're among the exceptions here.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:49 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
We already had a discussion about this in the tread "Publix monopoly."

In Columbia, SC, they have Publix, Kroger, Piggly Wiggly, Food Lion, and Bi-Lo. All are in the same tier of grocery stores. In addition that, they have Super Walmart, a Save-a-Lot or two, and Aldi. They also have a Fresh Market and is building its first Whole Foods.

In Orlando, we have Publix and Winn-Dixie with Sedano's very far behind as far as the same tier is concerned.
Exactly....an excellent point regarding Columbia which besides Whole Foods is also getting Trader Joe's. Also spot on regarding tiers, one cannot compare Publix to Walmart or Target.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Exactly....an excellent point regarding Columbia which besides Whole Foods is also getting Trader Joe's. Also spot on regarding tiers, one cannot compare Publix to Walmart or Target.
Target and WalMart are still considered competitors to Publix. And wouldnt Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market be considered a grocery store on the same tier as Publix?

Even if they are not Super Targets or Super Wal Marts they are STILL considered competition becuase they still sell some groceries, h&b products, as well as having pharmacies

And for what its worth, the Albertson's banner is marketed under 2 different companies. Depending on which state you live in, Albertson's is marketed either under CVS, or under SuperValu

I cant speak for the rest of the west, but in Nevada Albertson's is marketed by SuperValu, that is not the case here in Florida. I do know Albertsons in AZ is under CVS, and they are closing lots of stores there too

Last edited by DavieJ89; 04-17-2012 at 09:57 AM..

Old 04-17-2012, 02:58 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,337,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Target and WalMart are still considered competitors to Publix. And wouldnt Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market be considered a grocery store on the same tier as Publix?
I think it would. That concept was created by Wal-mart to directly compete against grocery stores like Publix or Albertsons. It essentially creates a similar feel without the crowds of a wal-mart supercenter, but the benefit of having Wal-mart prices.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Even if they are not Super Targets or Super Wal Marts they are STILL considered competition becuase they still sell some groceries, h&b products, as well as having pharmacies

And for what its worth, the Albertson's banner is marketed under 2 different companies. Depending on which state you live in, Albertson's is marketed either under CVS, or under SuperValu

I cant speak for the rest of the west, but in Nevada Albertson's is marketed by SuperValu, that is not the case here in Florida. I do know Albertsons in AZ is under CVS, and they are closing lots of stores there too

Although all stores compete against each other (yes, even Whole Foods vs Walmart), the "tiers" concept is important.

Tier 1: Whole Foods, Fresh Market, and I guess Trader Joes focus on organic stuff. It's more about quality than price. Their customers are shopping for a cause.

Tier 2: Publix, Winn-Dixie, Kroger, Bi-Lo, etc. focus on selling a variety of national brand products with a selection of some organics and a cheaper private label items as well. Their everyday prices will be lower than the Tier 1 stores, but higher than the Tier 3 stores. Their sale item prices, which if you shop correctly, will destroy your "discount" Tier 3 store everyday prices.

Tier 3: Walmart, Target, Aldi and Save-A-Lot save you the hassle of chasing sales for the convenience of a low everyday price. Albeit, your typical sale price at Publix will be better than these stores' everyday prices, but it's about the convenience of those who don't want to be a slave to the sales.

This is not an exhaustive definition, but that's how I think about grocery stores. I'm a Tier 2 shopper, and the only options in Orlando are Publix, Winn-Dixie, and Sedano's (but with only 3 locations, does it count?). In Columbia, SC, you have Publix, Bi-Lo, Food Lion, Piggly Wiggly, and Kroger. A few years ago, you had Harris Teeter and Winn-Dixie on TOP of that.

Columbia can also handle CVS, Walgreens, AND Rite-Aid drugstores. I do understand that CVS snagged Florida's Ekcerd's, so I'm not mad about that....

Old 04-17-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Although all stores compete against each other (yes, even Whole Foods vs Walmart), the "tiers" concept is important.

Tier 1: Whole Foods, Fresh Market, and I guess Trader Joes focus on organic stuff. It's more about quality than price. Their customers are shopping for a cause.

Tier 2: Publix, Winn-Dixie, Kroger, Bi-Lo, etc. focus on selling a variety of national brand products with a selection of some organics and a cheaper private label items as well. Their everyday prices will be lower than the Tier 1 stores, but higher than the Tier 3 stores. Their sale item prices, which if you shop correctly, will destroy your "discount" Tier 3 store everyday prices.

Tier 3: Walmart, Target, Aldi and Save-A-Lot save you the hassle of chasing sales for the convenience of a low everyday price. Albeit, your typical sale price at Publix will be better than these stores' everyday prices, but it's about the convenience of those who don't want to be a slave to the sales.

This is not an exhaustive definition, but that's how I think about grocery stores. I'm a Tier 2 shopper, and the only options in Orlando are Publix, Winn-Dixie, and Sedano's (but with only 3 locations, does it count?). In Columbia, SC, you have Publix, Bi-Lo, Food Lion, Piggly Wiggly, and Kroger. A few years ago, you had Harris Teeter and Winn-Dixie on TOP of that.

Columbia can also handle CVS, Walgreens, AND Rite-Aid drugstores. I do understand that CVS snagged Florida's Ekcerd's, so I'm not mad about that....
What you stated about Publix's sale prices is the exact reason I encourage people to shop there as opposed to Wal-Mart

Old 04-18-2012, 04:22 AM

Quote:
What you stated about Publix's sale prices is the exact reason I encourage people to shop there as opposed to Wal-Mart
Yep. If you really want to save money on everyday items, follow a coupon blog and shop traditional grocery stores and drug stores. Even Alberston's, whose everyday prices were outrageous, has great sale prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando