Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 PM

17 posts, read 46,591 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to a small town in Central Florida in the next couple of years. We are staying in Mt. Dora this summer and looking around. He works from home, and I can pretty much do marketing, admin work, sales, etc. Our max price for a house is $120,000. We are looking for a place where there are lots of outside activities, good schools (starting a family in about 5 yrs), a farmer's market, festivals, etc. We've been in Columbus, OH for the last 10 years, but we are both from small towns and looking to get back to that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 09:49 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,659 times
Mt. Dora and Winter Park seem to have the largest festivals. Winter Park is much closer to Orlando and is very expensive, however the schools are some of the best in the metro area. Mt. Dora is further from Orlando, doesn't have very good schools, but is charming and will have more homes in your budget. Personally I would not subject a child to being raised in Mt. Dora.. I lived there during weekends from ages 11-18 and constantly thanked my lucky stars I did not have to go to school there and live there full time.

You could look into Clermont, Winter Garden, Windermere, and Lake Mary/Sanford as well... although I'm not sure that each location will have everything you want. I've noticed that in Central Florida, small town rarely equals good schools. The best schools tend to be in the more affluent suburbs of Orlando.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:30 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Mt. Dora and Winter Park seem to have the largest festivals. Winter Park is much closer to Orlando and is very expensive, however the schools are some of the best in the metro area. Mt. Dora is further from Orlando, doesn't have very good schools, but is charming and will have more homes in your budget. Personally I would not subject a child to being raised in Mt. Dora.. I lived there during weekends from ages 11-18 and constantly thanked my lucky stars I did not have to go to school there and live there full time.

You could look into Clermont, Winter Garden, Windermere, and Lake Mary/Sanford as well... although I'm not sure that each location will have everything you want. I've noticed that in Central Florida, small town rarely equals good schools. The best schools tend to be in the more affluent suburbs of Orlando.
Melbourne might also be worth a look. They have a lot of festivals and farmers market downtown. Their arts festival is at the end of this month and draws thousands and rivals what you'll find in mt dora or winter park. Brevard county also outranks Orange county and lake county when it comes to schools overall

Old 04-10-2013, 07:24 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,892,341 times
I would look into staying out there in lake/Sumter county, Deland/Orange city, and Brevard county. Winter park in actual size is pretty small but it is surrounded by so much development that it could basically be an extension of Orlando, But i do feel like I am in a small cozy town there, Even though everything a big city has is right there.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:55 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
I was going to mention Deland as well. Mt Dora is a good choice and has what you're looking for. You might want to consider New Smyrna, although it's on the beach. They have lots of festivals/events and a small town feel. New Smyrna Beach Visitors Bureau

Old 04-10-2013, 02:25 PM

27,176 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Melbourne might also be worth a look. They have a lot of festivals and farmers market downtown. Their arts festival is at the end of this month and draws thousands and rivals what you'll find in mt dora or winter park. Brevard county also outranks Orange county and lake county when it comes to schools overall
I agree and you'll find more house for the money in Brevard County as well. The school district is among the top 10 in the state.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 14,137 times
This information is really helpful! Thank you!

Old 04-17-2013, 12:19 PM

72 posts, read 82,936 times
Very helpful! We're looking for the same sort of thing, without the worry of schools since we don't have and aren't planning on children.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:08 PM

27,176 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKin1977 View Post
Very helpful! We're looking for the same sort of thing, without the worry of schools since we don't have and aren't planning on children.
You might add Citrus County to your list as well. There are a lot of nice, affordable communities with more value for the dollar. Check out Inverness, Beverly Hills, Citrus Springs and Homosassa Springs.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:40 AM

2 posts, read 9,389 times
Suggestions or help. Currently living in Stone Mountain Ga( lived in Naples Fl for 10 years, moved here temporarily for medical treatment and subsequent transplant). Husband has been cleared to move back to Florida if we still want too YES!.
Here is our dilemma, we have family in Mt Dora and tgey want us to move tgere. Secondary schools aren't an issue( kids are 18/27 and wint be living with us but for a few months). My husband and I like Leesburg,Eustis and Mt Dora but we also like Lakeland and Almonte Springs.
We want a long term home to rent and have small dogs so a small yard for them and a garden would be great. We want to be close to every day shopping, water( lake,ocean) and a downtown to browse and walk, library. Public transportation would be a plus.
I work part time in the restraunt industry and my hubby wants to work at Disney or a local truck job.

Our budget is 900.00 month for 2/2 or 3/2. We do have a car. We want small town area but conveniences nearby and things to do (walking, stroll, park, ) locally.

We know the plus and minuses of Florida life bugs,gators,heat and are so excited to be going home even though a new area from our last in Florida.

The one tbing I forgot to mention is we will not be able to visit before we relocate so its all sight unseen although we do have a family member that can go view a place if we find a place we like.

Basically Im looking for any suggestions, info etc on the towns listen. Pros Cons pointers, tips

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando