Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 01:53 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I remember that baseball bat incedent....I was living in Deltona at that time....i delivered pizzas down that street sometimes......soem girl that lived across the street from me on Littlefarms ct....worked at the Burger King that those victims worked at and she knew them from work
I love living in Florida, however when the day comes that I feel like I have to get a license to carry a concealed weapon in order to protect myself and my daughter then I think its time to move to another location here in Florida.

My body can't handle the cold weather so unless I hit the lottery California is out of the question.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,975 times
positives

1. the weather, it gets hot everywhere in the summer, except in places that have artic winters. try Kansas City when it hits triple digits w 80% humidity. It rains everyday in the afternoon in the summer, and it doesn't rain in the winter, very predictable. and i haven't experienced a huricane since i moved here.

2. lots of places to eat

3. lots of things to do for a city this size.

4. crime is really low east of I-4, and despite the crime boom of the last few yrs. O-town is on par w other major cities that haven't experienced the gentrification effect yet.

5. 2 coasts can be reached in about an hour

6. Old FL can be reached in about an hour. drive south on something other than the turnpike or I-95

7. the drivers are safer than most places. yes i said it, where else is it nearly impossible to get a speeding ticket bc everyone is driving 10 mph below the speed limit. the road rage here isn't exceptional, everyone everywhere complains about the traffic where they live. but you do have to watch out for the bus drivers.

negatives

1. salaries are low

2. the suburb wo a city feel that everyplace in FL has

3. the places to eat tend to be chains,
sidenote-this isn't "the south" anymore, nobody knows the difference between Carolina and KC BBQ

4. the things to do tend to be more expensive, tourism effect

5. too many people asking me for $, one time, I had 7 people in 10 mins. ask me for $. it has been better recently, maybe bc of new laws.

6. it takes an hour and a half to get to the beach, and i live in FL

7. the toll roads are ****ty, i don't mind paying, but this place has the worst toll road setup of any place i have been

8. there is no place for the buses to pull over when they stop, and there is a bus stop on EVERY block

Overall i like FL, and Orlando is average

Old 11-14-2007, 03:17 PM

I live near a man who works for the Highway Department and he confirmed that its not just our IMPRESSION, the road system here is sub standard. He actually gave me stats on how far under par it is. The road system hasn't caught up with the influx of people into Florida. They are trying to catch up but widening roads take alot of time.

In Texas we have access roads, they run parallel to the highway AND if there is a major problem on the highway you can jump off and get where you are going. If there is anything this place needs its access roads. The highway pile up is outrageous here. I make an effort to not even get on them because the pile ups are so unpredictable.

I was shocked when I first moved here at all the undeveloped land around where I live. Near the Mall in Sanford for instance, there were pastures with animals in them. Now they are starting to build things up. In Texas there are NO empty fields near malls like that, it was unusual to see. I guess Florida just grows differently then what I am used to.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:51 PM

98 posts, read 287,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I love living in Florida, however when the day comes that I feel like I have to get a license to carry a concealed weapon in order to protect myself and my daughter then I think its time to move to another location here in Florida.

My body can't handle the cold weather so unless I hit the lottery California is out of the question.

Where do you live that you feel this way?

Old 11-14-2007, 09:06 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper1casper View Post
positives

1. the weather, it gets hot everywhere in the summer, except in places that have artic winters. try Kansas City when it hits triple digits w 80% humidity. It rains everyday in the afternoon in the summer, and it doesn't rain in the winter, very predictable. and i haven't experienced a huricane since i moved here.

2. lots of places to eat

3. lots of things to do for a city this size.

4. crime is really low east of I-4, and despite the crime boom of the last few yrs. O-town is on par w other major cities that haven't experienced the gentrification effect yet.

5. 2 coasts can be reached in about an hour

6. Old FL can be reached in about an hour. drive south on something other than the turnpike or I-95

7. the drivers are safer than most places. yes i said it, where else is it nearly impossible to get a speeding ticket bc everyone is driving 10 mph below the speed limit. the road rage here isn't exceptional, everyone everywhere complains about the traffic where they live. but you do have to watch out for the bus drivers.

negatives

1. salaries are low

2. the suburb wo a city feel that everyplace in FL has

3. the places to eat tend to be chains,
sidenote-this isn't "the south" anymore, nobody knows the difference between Carolina and KC BBQ

4. the things to do tend to be more expensive, tourism effect

5. too many people asking me for $, one time, I had 7 people in 10 mins. ask me for $. it has been better recently, maybe bc of new laws.

6. it takes an hour and a half to get to the beach, and i live in FL

7. the toll roads are ****ty, i don't mind paying, but this place has the worst toll road setup of any place i have been

8. there is no place for the buses to pull over when they stop, and there is a bus stop on EVERY block

Overall i like FL, and Orlando is average

Nice post....i respect your opinions...mine vary a little from what you said but thanx for your point of view

Old 11-14-2007, 09:14 PM

I definitely disagree with your "positives" #7. Driving 10mph below the speed limit? Our road rage isnt that bad? Different opinions definitely.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:18 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I live near a man who works for the Highway Department and he confirmed that its not just our IMPRESSION, the road system here is sub standard. He actually gave me stats on how far under par it is. The road system hasn't caught up with the influx of people into Florida. They are trying to catch up but widening roads take alot of time.

This is true for the Orlando area...not so much Tampa or Miami though......Orlando is terrible as far as the planning goes for the road system here...I lived in Nashville and thier main freeways have 5 lanes and Orlando only has 3 ...and in Orlando most of the main arteries are toll roads ...in nashville there are no toll roads that i remember....both cities are about the same size and have the same kind of road system as far as not having a grid but Nashville is far above the progression that Orlando is ....

In Texas we have access roads, they run parallel to the highway AND if there is a major problem on the highway you can jump off and get where you are going. If there is anything this place needs its access roads. The highway pile up is outrageous here. I make an effort to not even get on them because the pile ups are so unpredictable.

That sounds a little like South Florida there is a grid system down there and alot of roads run parallel to the freeways down there

I was shocked when I first moved here at all the undeveloped land around where I live. Near the Mall in Sanford for instance, there were pastures with animals in them. Now they are starting to build things up. In Texas there are NO empty fields near malls like that, it was unusual to see. I guess Florida just grows differently then what I am used to.

The Orlando area is one of the fastest growing areas and is really big considering when the city started being a destination for people to live after Disney got here so i think Texas has a longer history in thier bigger cities and thier neighborhoods are more established than Orlando so that's why you probably see things like that here in Orlando...Orlando is still growing up

Old 11-14-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the9thwonder View Post
Where do you live that you feel this way?
I live in Volusia county, half way between Daytona and Orlando.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:37 PM

It is bad there too? I mean, obviously Daytona Beach and Orlando have rough spots for sure, but in between? Do you live in Deltona?

Old 11-15-2007, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the9thwonder View Post
It is bad there too? I mean, obviously Daytona Beach and Orlando have rough spots for sure, but in between? Do you live in Deltona?
NO, not Deltona, across the highway in Debary. It seems to be happening all around us. This is a nice town and its growing and we love living here but with all the things that go on around us, I worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando