Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 01:49 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times

Advertisements

Ok..now that I know there are REAL Philly people around, I'll ask you...
Now I've never been to Philly so have never had a Philly Cheesesteak from there so I have nothing to compare it to....
A friend took my to Famous Philly's over in Port Orange and told me that's the best to be had. It's on the corner of 5a(Nova) and Ridgewood.
It was great btw.

Have any of you been there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 02:11 PM

640 posts, read 3,075,417 times
I've only been to a few Philly cheesesteak places over on the east side of Orlando and while they try hard... but they aren't the real deal. There are a few things that make them real Philly cheesesteaks and that is the roll. Amoroso rolls are made right in Philly and that is what everyone uses there for hoagies and cheesesteaks. The other thing is offering "sauce" which is pizza sauce or cheese wiz as part of your steak sandwich topping. The place in Avalon Park is authentic because they have both! It's great!

Side note - Most people prefer american cheese over cheese wiz but it's nice to know you can have both there. Cheesesteak with sauce and fried onions... the best!

Old 11-15-2007, 03:59 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
krock67 - You can get Tasty Kakes at most Publix Supermarkets
yes, but who has the chocolate juniors? i miss those the most. our publix does have butterscotch krimpets so that is some consolation.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:55 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
I like my cheesesteak with mozzerella.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:38 PM

299 posts, read 1,333,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
I like my cheesesteak with mozzerella.
Mozzerella & double on the fried onions

Old 11-15-2007, 08:46 PM

Anyone hear about Niccoli's in Orlando? I read about it but have never tried it, also don't know where in Oralndo it is.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:55 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
There is a Niccoli's New York Pizza on Old Winter Garden Road. From the address I think it's in a strip mall on the corner of Old Winter Garden and Hawassee.
I haven't eaten there but I'm rarely in that area.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:06 PM

19 posts, read 49,051 times
I spent 29 years of my life living in Feltonville area on that side of the Boulevard (rt 1) across from Charlie's Pizza and Sears. I live in Daytona Beach now and really enjoy the steaks at Famous Phillys-- lotsa fun on game days... place was NUTS when the Eagles were in the Superbowl LOL. It's fun to see everyone out in their Philly gear. Not a whole lot going on during Flyers games though . They also bring in Amoroso's. We drive to St Aug for Rita's and by quarts to freeze. (Love the wudder ice) Pizza is another big issue.. luckily we live near Pete's on Nova Rd and they have what we call "boardwalk pie." (Haven't found anything like Taconelli's or even my old neighborhood Charlie's here though-- they tell me it's because the water's different here in the south.)
Now if only Pete would open a Chickie and Pete's here in FL. I'd kill for some crab fries with cheese.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:34 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
If Orlando had more of their own professional sports teams, other than just basketball, maybe there would be more people out there supporting the local teams. The Bucs are from the Tampa area, the Jags are from Jacksonville and the Dolphins are from Miami, not Orlando. You don't see people from Philly supporting teams from Pittsburgh, just because they are in the same state.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbeach View Post
I spent 29 years of my life living in Feltonville area on that side of the Boulevard (rt 1) across from Charlie's Pizza and Sears. I live in Daytona Beach now and really enjoy the steaks at Famous Phillys-- lotsa fun on game days... place was NUTS when the Eagles were in the Superbowl LOL. It's fun to see everyone out in their Philly gear. Not a whole lot going on during Flyers games though . They also bring in Amoroso's. We drive to St Aug for Rita's and by quarts to freeze. (Love the wudder ice) Pizza is another big issue.. luckily we live near Pete's on Nova Rd and they have what we call "boardwalk pie." (Haven't found anything like Taconelli's or even my old neighborhood Charlie's here though-- they tell me it's because the water's different here in the south.)
Now if only Pete would open a Chickie and Pete's here in FL. I'd kill for some crab fries with cheese.
Didn't know you could buy "wudder" ice in quarts Thanks for that info. I heard the same thing about the pizza not being the same because of the water. I don't want to know what's in the water down here that would make a difference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando