Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 05:24 PM

9 posts, read 17,675 times

Advertisements

Over the last few years I visited nine Florida 55+ communities and chose to purchase in Solivita in 2015. I liked AV’s reputation, the concrete building styles, the ambiance and activities of the community. With this style of building, residents can evacuate in place during hurricanes. Basic cable and landscape maintenance are included in the HOA fee. The HOA requires homes to be painted every 5-7 years. There are limitations on the number and size of pets. Flood insurance is not required. We pay a separate CDD fee to maintain the mosquito and midge and aquatic weed control, the ponds, and canal. There are over 4,000 homes sold with up to 2,000 more new homes possible depending on the market. Solivita winds through a nature preserve. Many wild animals and birds are our neighbors.

Solivita HOA offers 2 fitness centers – one in the town center, the other in the western section. Each has a gym, additional exercise room, outdoor pool and meeting area. There is 1 indoor pool with a walking court above it, 2 saunas, 11 more heated outdoor neighborhood pools, some pools have community rooms attached. There are pickleball, tennis, horse shoe, bocce ball courts, and a softball field. There are 2 art studios, lots of club meeting rooms, a ballroom, a library, 2 computer rooms, billiard room, 150 clubs, and several support groups. I liked that the card room had real poker tables. There are lots of social, fitness, and educational classes. Solivita has a large veteran contingent and monuments to veterans. Many clubs offer group trips to locations of interest. The attitude is if you don’t find a club of your interest, start one. But there is no pressure of any kind. You can be a busy or not as you choose. The residents I have met are very friendly and call Solivita a Paradise.

The Golf Club is a separate entity with separate fees. Of interest to me there are LOTS of bathrooms throughout the public areas. There are 3 entrances to the main community and two outlaying neighborhoods have their own gates plus golf cart tunnels to join the main area. Some other communities I looked at had only one entrance/exit.

The Stonegate Grill is adequate, but open daily. It’s management supplies staff and food for the Bistro (pizza/sandwiches) and the Mosaics Restaurant, which is open three evenings a week and for special events. There are some stores, restaurants, and medical offices within a 10 minute drive, but lots more within a 40 minute drive.

Residents who purchased at the top of the market now have homes worth considerably less. Although prices are rising, Solivita home values have not returned to the top of the market prices. This made the current prices attractive to me as a purchaser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 03:54 PM

113 posts, read 182,432 times
If you are even thinking about living there definitely stay there as part of the Discovery program. First off it is a fantastic deal. Secondly, there is literally no pressure to buy. They try and win you over simply by exposing you to Solivita. We are at least a year away from buying and they were wonderful to us even though they knew they were not going to make a sale while we were there. Now - the people are genuinely VERY friendly and appear happy. Everybody says hi as you go by. The homes are stunning. The landscaping is stunning. The golf courses are fantastic (I did not have time to play so I don't know how they play but their condition is obviously very very good). What used to be a drawback is now a very strong feature. Literally at the entrance is a brand new hospital and medical center. It is a 45 min trek to Disney mostly on one road. Shopping is a bit clunky still because the surrounding town is crowded and slow to get through. So .. if you are a daily mall-goer you may not like it. I could live there in a heartbeat. My wife is not quite ready to admit we belong in a 55 and over development but give it a few years and it may fit better. This is an A++++++ place to retire.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,342 times
Default Traffic still bad?

I saw some reviews from 2014 saying that the traffic in the area is terrible. Is that still an issue? My parents are thinking of moving to the community and are New Yorkers, so we know traffic! I don't want them to avoid leaving their house from 3pm to 7pm. Is that still the case?? Thanks for your help!

Old 06-08-2016, 05:57 PM

536 posts, read 853,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombhood View Post
I saw some reviews from 2014 saying that the traffic in the area is terrible. Is that still an issue? My parents are thinking of moving to the community and are New Yorkers, so we know traffic! I don't want them to avoid leaving their house from 3pm to 7pm. Is that still the case?? Thanks for your help!
Traffic is heavy going northbound towards Kissimmee & Orlando in the morning rush hour. It's not impossible, but you definitely have to allow yourself an extra 15-20 minutes in travel time.

It's equally heavy coming southbound towards Poinciana in the afternoon rush hour. But it's still do-able.

But most people living in Solivita are retirees, & not many are forced to commute to work. It's not that hard to wait out the rush hour congestion before venturing out on errands.

At 66 & semi retired, I live in nearby Bellalago, the more family oriented, waterfront sister community to Solivita, by the same builder, AV.

I drive all over Osceola & Polk counties performing dozens of BPOs on distressed properties all month long, visiting Solivita, Lake Marion, Lake Wales, Kissimmee, Davenport, Reunion, Four Corners, Celebration, Kissimmee, & St Cloud on a daily basis.

I have no problem working around the more congested traffic periods, & I see no reason why your parents would not feel perfectly comfortable dealing with the Poinciana traffic, given that they're New Yorkers.

Those of us who don't have to punch a clock simply turn on the radio, relax, & enjoy the ride.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:18 PM

50 posts, read 130,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombhood View Post
Traffic is what you make of it. It's no better or worse than most places.

We have been Solivita residents a short time but we have been traveling around to find shopping and getting things done like Florida driver's license, cars registered in Florida and voting registration. We had heard all the traffic stories before we purchased. We are learning different routes to get were we want to go. Google Maps app on the phone has been a big help.

You learn two things very quickly when driving here -
1. Traffic lights stay red a lot longer than in Connecticut causing backups
2. Some Florida drivers are very aggressive in their driving habits.

And always expect construction delays and accidents. But that's no different than we had in CT.

Our bank is in Solivita so that's easy. Grocery shopping is about 15 minutes away as is Lowe's. No big deal. As for anything else, figure around 45 minutes to get there.

You adapt to you surroundings, that's all. Too many posters make a big deal/ big negative out of a small situation. There is no reason to avoid leaving the house or the community - especially for New Yorkers.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:04 PM

9 posts, read 79,098 times
Does anyone know what the CDD rates are in Solivita now?

Old 09-12-2017, 10:45 PM

9 posts, read 17,675 times
Solivita survived Hurricane Irma with minor damage. It passed right over us with winds of up to 90 mph. Some trees fell, a few birdcage screens were damaged, and some homed lost roof tiles. I have not heard of any reports of homes flooding. The flood control system worked very well. Our power lines are buried. We had no interruption of water, electric, or cable services.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,049 times
Hi, I have been looking high and low for a place like this! I am a 60 year old RN with 2 dogs, and I think Solvita looks fabulous. I may go and look at it this week. However, my dogs need either a fenced in back yard, or an invisible fence ( trained in both) If I can only take them out on a leash, I may as well rent an apt. Also, is there a dog park? Thanks!

Old 02-21-2018, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizmentzoni View Post
Hi, I have been looking high and low for a place like this! I am a 60 year old RN with 2 dogs, and I think Solvita looks fabulous. I may go and look at it this week. However, my dogs need either a fenced in back yard, or an invisible fence ( trained in both) If I can only take them out on a leash, I may as well rent an apt. Also, is there a dog park? Thanks!

We have visited Solivita twice and are seriously considering moving there this year after my husband officially retires. There is indeed a dog park. And you can fence in your backyard with the prescribed fence allowed. I do not know if they allow invisible fences. We have a dog and so need both the dog park and fence, too. Solivita is really a nice place and is on the top of our list right now. Definitely you should visit and see what you think!

Old 05-12-2018, 02:51 PM

70 posts, read 101,005 times
My wife & i visited Solivita about 2 years ago & liked it.We are almost ready to make a move from up north from NJ.Has the community of Solivita been taken over by the property owners now & not AV ? What does the mean to the property owners concerning fees & taxes etc.?
Thank You
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando