Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:10 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times

Advertisements

Smh...I can't believe I ever thought I would say this...but I think I hate living in Orlando now, some reasons are not the city's fault, some are my fault (which those reasons are no real valid reasons to hate this city in that case) and some are just things I cannot change

1) I've accepted that the really is no money making opportunities in this town and the COL is too out of whack with wages....how the hell is somebody supposed to afford $950 PLUS utilities every month for a one bedroom apartment when they cant find a job that pays more than $9 an hour? I've begun searching for better paying work and have come up with nothing that will afford me the lifestyle I want (which isnt even all that extravagant, just enough to pay my rent, utilties, car, etc, enough to go out on fridays and saturdays and save some as well) I honestly believe if you're a single person or co-habit with an S/O you need to be earning at least $50,000 a year in order to live comfortably, if you have kids, you have to be making 6 figures or you'll seriously struggle. I had to practically kill myself working 2 jobs last year working 65 hours a week and still barely broke $25,000. You cannot support yourself on $25,000 a year

2) The people in this city are showing their true colors more and more everyday. Everybody has just become so rotten lately, my car broke down December 26 right the middle of Sand Lake and John Young and did anybody help me push? Hell no! I got honked at, flipped the bird and cussed out, even my own mom who was in the passenger seat, wouldnt even bother as much to help me steer the car off the road to wait for the tow truck. I say hello to my customers at work, "Hello Sir (or Miss) how are you today?" if I'm lucky enough to get a response its something like "Busy" or "Well I was fine until you disturbed me" which I said I was sorry and this woman's response was "Yeah you should be" This city also seems to have a much higher population of people who smile in your face and gossip about you behind your back. And in other settings it seems like nobody is in a good mood ever, so much negativity its depressing. And for what its worth, because my pay is so low I cant afford to fix my car at this moment

3) Traffic just gets worse and worse everyday, that the only time I-4 or any other main road isnt jam packed is after midnight....this big construction project theyre about to start on I-4 is probably going to take ten years and will be millions if not hundreds of millions over budget...and the population will have grown so much by then that it wont make any different in traffic. Who can afford to spend $18 a day round trip using these future "Lexus Lanes" on $9-$10 an hour anyway?

4) The dating pool here has to be THE WORST in the whole country, I've never been in a city where so many women claim to be in relationships, and still act like hoes when they go out with their girlfriends at night...its despicable. And in my age group, good luck finding a single women who isnt crazy, a single mom with kids from multiple men (ever use a condom?) unemployed, etc. This is a city where good girls and hoes are getting wifed up, the good die young, and the ungrateful have everything

I'll try to end this post on a positive note, there are certain things about Orlando that I love. Mainly downtown with all its restaurants and bars, particularly Panino's Pizza, I-Bar, Finnhenry's, Lake Eola

The weather this time of year is amazing and has been perfect as of late

Unfortunately, these positives are greatly out weighed by negatives listed above. There's simply nothing here for my anymore, and I will be moving back to Las Vegas this summer, a city where I can earn a decent wage and spend $700 a month realisticially on a good apartment in a safe neighborhood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 12:14 PM

782 posts, read 1,368,743 times
Out of curiosity, what's your educational/experience background that you're seeking employment in?

Old 01-23-2015, 12:17 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
As far as your job situation, have you thought about learning a trade or getting a degree ? If you improve yourself, your wages will likely go up ..

Old 01-23-2015, 12:18 PM

605 posts, read 711,907 times
I'm sorry you're so unhappy. I must tell you though that the things you are unhappy about (COL, rude people, traffic, girls that act like hoes) are true about most other places. It's very, very expensive here where I live too, and the traffic is beyond horrific.

I don't really have any answers for you other than perhaps think about moving to a small town where COL is lower and/or going back to school to educate yourself so you will be qualified for higher paying positions.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:22 PM

35,700 posts, read 21,054,375 times
OK Ok, you got it out- you need a support system someone you can call to come help you out- need to extend the hand of friendship at church or club work- that's how it works - Too many bogus break downs occur to stop then they shoot you- or rob you take your car- people fear that- 2nd- spend $100 a year n hook up with AAA or some other motorclub- we use Chevrons because they tow like 100 miles. some places are COLD but I don't find Orlando that way- get involved- make a support group for yourself instead of complaining

Old 01-23-2015, 12:28 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
have u considered going gay and getting a boyfriend?

if the girls are all wifed up and or hoes, perhaps a nice man will suit u well?

Old 01-23-2015, 12:28 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
1) May I ask what work experience and education you have? I currently live in San Francisco, which has a very strong job market, but those without the proper work experience and education, will still be stuck with low wage jobs. However, I do agree with you that Orlando doesn't have the best job market.

2) May I ask what area do you live/work? My experience in Orlando has been quite different. I actually find locals to be more friendly than the national average. However, I did live in a nice part of the city.

3) Most cities with strong job markets will make Orlando's traffic seem like child's play. Here in San Francisco, rush hour is almost the entire day lol.

4) I never had issues in Orlando when it came to dating. I also been helping my friend find a new date because his GF of 4 years left him and he isn't the most outgoing person. I got him on okcupid and he found a lot of wholesome women.

Have you spent much time in Las Vegas lately? People who move to Las Vegas have the same complaints about Orlando. The only jobs available are low wage restaurant or hospitality jobs etc, which has some truth to it as well. The dynamics of both cities are actually quite similar. They both are tourism driven towns. It's so easy to move these days, so if you aren't happy in Orlando, you should move. You can always move back if the grass doesn't end up being greener. However, I think you will find all the same problems in Las Vegas. You should consider cities such as Seattle, San Francisco, Boston, or NYC because they have plenty of opportunities. You will need to work hard and be willing to share a room to make ends meet, but you have the potential to one day be earning six figures. Once again, it depends on your work and education experience.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Old 01-23-2015, 12:30 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
As far as your job situation, have you thought about learning a trade or getting a degree ? If you improve yourself, your wages will likely go up ..
Not always the case, not the case usually in the case in 2015 sadly.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:38 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Honestly, most of what I read in your post indicates you don't like Orlando because of your personal struggles, and has nothing to do with Orlando itself.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:41 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,009 times
Not everyone can make it in Orlando on that note I have found it is a good place to make money. From your post I cannot see why dating would be a problem. Remember the best place to live is where you can make a good living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando