Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:47 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
Out of curiosity, what's your educational/experience background that you're seeking employment in?
You stole my question.

What Davy sees is the result of packing 100's of thousands of people into a small area in a short time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 12:49 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
1) May I ask what work experience and education you have? I currently live in San Francisco, which has a very strong job market, but those without the proper work experience and education, will still be stuck with low wage jobs. However, I do agree with you that Orlando doesn't have the best job market.

2) May I ask what area do you live/work? My experience in Orlando has been quite different. I actually find locals to be more friendly than the national average. However, I did live in a nice part of the city.

3) Most cities with strong job markets will make Orlando's traffic seem like child's play. Here in San Francisco, rush hour is almost the entire day lol.

4) I never had issues in Orlando when it came to dating. I also been helping my friend find a new date because his GF of 4 years left him and he isn't the most outgoing person. I got him on okcupid and he found a lot of wholesome women.

Have you spent much time in Las Vegas lately? People who move to Las Vegas have the same complaints about Orlando. The only jobs available are low wage restaurant or hospitality jobs etc, which has some truth to it as well. The dynamics of both cities are actually quite similar. They both are tourism driven towns. It's so easy to move these days, so if you aren't happy in Orlando, you should move. You can always move back if the grass doesn't end up being greener. However, I think you will find all the same problems in Las Vegas. You should consider cities such as Seattle, San Francisco, Boston, or NYC because they have plenty of opportunities. You will need to work hard and be willing to share a room to make ends meet, but you have the potential to one day be earning six figures. Once again, it depends on your work and education experience.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
If he couldnt earn a decent living in Orlando, NYC will mow him right down.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:53 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Not everyone can make it in Orlando on that note I have found it is a good place to make money. From your post I cannot see why dating would be a problem. Remember the best place to live is where you can make a good living.
Best honest advice I have seen on here so far, thats why so many citizens leave NY and California its expensive to make a living based on the cost of living. Great post man.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:58 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
Sorry you're unhappy Davie. It seems ironic to leave Orlando to go to Vegas, which seems like it'd be a similar economy and demographics, except sleazier. Weren't you unhappy there before?

Why not try someplace in North Carolina or Texas or something? Dallas, Austin, Houston.. or even Charlotte or Raleigh.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:11 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Sorry you're unhappy Davie. It seems ironic to leave Orlando to go to Vegas, which seems like it'd be a similar economy and demographics, except sleazier. Weren't you unhappy there before?

Why not try someplace in North Carolina or Texas or something? Dallas, Austin, Houston.. or even Charlotte or Raleigh.
There were certain things that made me happy there brink but also, I felt I had more independence than I do here, I didnt feel compelled to ask my (toxic) family permission for every little thing

I made it in Vegas for 2 years and the only reason I came back was because I was laid off. I'll never make it as long as I am here, for somebody who has mostly experience in hospitality, retail, bar and restaurants, there's simply ZERO opportunities here to make enough money to live on and support myself.

I'm over living with family, I'm over living with roommates. I can be sociable at work, or any setting outside the home...but honestly I find myself wanting to live a quiet solitary life

As far as Vegas being sleazier, you're right to an extent. Granted a majority of women there are involved in adult entertainment in some form or another, at least I know things would be over and done with before any feelings on either side develop thus causing somebody (usually me) to get hurt.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:26 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Not always the case, not the case usually in the case in 2015 sadly.
I believe he's young - the military is always an option.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:30 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Davie it sounds to me like you just need some space from your family and roommate. It sounds to me that's a big part of the problem. But for you to gain the financial independence to get away from them you need to develop that skill or education as you've always talked about. The women....leave them aside until you get yourself together first. If someone comes into your life at this time maybe it's meant to be, but I wouldn't keep looking for someone, seems like you have enough on your plate.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:42 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Davie it sounds to me like you just need some space from your family and roommate. It sounds to me that's a big part of the problem. But for you to gain the financial independence to get away from them you need to develop that skill or education as you've always talked about. The women....leave them aside until you get yourself together first. If someone comes into your life at this time maybe it's meant to be, but I wouldn't keep looking for someone, seems like you have enough on your plate.
I wish it were that easily but I cannot simply get "some space" from these specific family members as long as I am local...no matter where I go, they will hunt me down until they find me and make my life miserable once more, their issues are ones that can be solved but nobody is willing to and would rather just dump the problem on me

As far as women go I havent even been really looking. My last one was an LDR, she lived in NYC and I flew up there last March for a week to see her, and 6 days and $1800 later she told me at the end of the trip she was leaving me...smh...they've been approaching me as of late...I want to drop the whole dating thing after this but this is one reason besides my family I want to live a more solitary life, I'm simply too damaged at this point and I'm not even interested in dating anybody anymore

Old 01-23-2015, 01:45 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
i'm sorry Davie.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:53 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
There were certain things that made me happy there brink but also, I felt I had more independence than I do here, I didnt feel compelled to ask my (toxic) family permission for every little thing

I made it in Vegas for 2 years and the only reason I came back was because I was laid off. I'll never make it as long as I am here, for somebody who has mostly experience in hospitality, retail, bar and restaurants, there's simply ZERO opportunities here to make enough money to live on and support myself.

I'm over living with family, I'm over living with roommates. I can be sociable at work, or any setting outside the home...but honestly I find myself wanting to live a quiet solitary life

As far as Vegas being sleazier, you're right to an extent. Granted a majority of women there are involved in adult entertainment in some form or another, at least I know things would be over and done with before any feelings on either side develop thus causing somebody (usually me) to get hurt.
You should move to a state where there is no separate minimum wage for tipped employees since you work in that field. Have you thought about Alaska? It might fit your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando