Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 03:13 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times

Advertisements

It is in a teacher best interest to have the child learn, if there is a problem it could be medical, as ADHD or some other reason, ( needs glasses or cant hear well) they should send them to be further evaluated or tested. Go the extra mile, sure - why? Because it is the LAW!

The No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB), which passed Congress with overwhelming bipartisan support in 2001 and was signed into law by President George W. Bush on Jan. 8, 2002, is the name for the most recent update to the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965. The NCLB law*—which grew out of concern that the American education system was no longer internationally competitive**—significantly increased the federal role in holding schools responsible for the academic progress of all students. And it put a special focus on ensuring that states and schools boost the performance of certain groups of students, such as English-language learners, students in special education, and poor and minority children, whose achievement, on average, trails their peers. States did not have to comply with the new requirements, but if they didn’t, they risked losing federal Title I money.

I imagine the Gestapos only accepted the elite learners and sent the rest of the children to clean up smoke stacks and coal mines holes... some still want it to be that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 03:36 PM

Why not read about their theories? We are not failing across the nation because we are doing all things right, at all levels. Parent involvement absolutely. But as long as mommas too busy doing selfies of their butts- to match the kardashians,,, what of their kids? We are creating the future- and the few who think they only need the few super kids to make this world better- got another thing coming. The mass is what will rule, look at the rest of the world.

Maslow & Piaget

How do Piaget's Theory of Developmental Needs and Maslow's Theory of Hierarchy of needs each help you understand student needs and aid you in skillfully guiding learning experiences?

Teaching, Learning and Me: Maslow & Piaget

Old 09-06-2015, 05:26 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
It is in a teacher best interest to have the child learn, if there is a problem it could be medical, as ADHD or some other reason, ( needs glasses or cant hear well) they should send them to be further evaluated or tested. Go the extra mile, sure - why? Because it is the LAW!

The No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB), which passed Congress with overwhelming bipartisan support in 2001 and was signed into law by President George W. Bush on Jan. 8, 2002, is the name for the most recent update to the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965. The NCLB law*—which grew out of concern that the American education system was no longer internationally competitive**—significantly increased the federal role in holding schools responsible for the academic progress of all students. And it put a special focus on ensuring that states and schools boost the performance of certain groups of students, such as English-language learners, students in special education, and poor and minority children, whose achievement, on average, trails their peers. States did not have to comply with the new requirements, but if they didn’t, they risked losing federal Title I money.

I imagine the Gestapos only accepted the elite learners and sent the rest of the children to clean up smoke stacks and coal mines holes... some still want it to be that way.
Of course helping the lower performing students is critical. However, I think some of the posters here are saying that they believe that this is being done at the expense of the good to above average performers.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:23 PM

Bad kids if they are terrible-are put on ISP or are expelled - sent to special schools--but sometimes the more intelligent kids are paired up with the slower learners. If a teacher breeds a negative attitude towards that child, as mentioned in the posts, do not expect much from that child later, especially if it was in their younger years. You are doing great harm. In our troubled society do not go into teaching if you expect only prodigies will show up in class.
I know when my kids where in school, they had "advanced" classes in math and the rest stayed in general math so don't get bit of anyone being set back because of slower learners.

Last edited by tinytrump; 09-06-2015 at 06:32 PM..

Old 09-07-2015, 08:22 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Actually it is NOT up to the teacher to do those things. The teacher can tell the parents that the kid is having whatever issue. It is then up to the PARENTS to correct it. A teacher--and even a school--CAN NOT prescribe drugs or glasses or anything else for a kid. They can only suggest the parents take the kid to a doctor. if the parents don't, then the school needs to give the kid the boot until the parents clean up their act.

It should be no different than a kid coming to school with head lice. Send them home until the problem is corrected.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:

Why not read about their theories? We are not failing across the nation because we are doing all things right, at all levels. Parent involvement absolutely. But as long as mommas too busy doing selfies of their butts- to match the kardashians,,, what of their kids? We are creating the future- and the few who think they only need the few super kids to make this world better- got another thing coming. The mass is what will rule, look at the rest of the world.

Maslow & Piaget

How do Piaget's Theory of Developmental Needs and Maslow's Theory of Hierarchy of needs each help you understand student needs and aid you in skillfully guiding learning experiences?

Teaching, Learning and Me: Maslow & Piaget
Actually the majority of kids are average. They come to school, they learn, they do their homework. Those kids aren't the problem. It's the bottom 10-20% who are disruptive. This should not be tolerated and those kids should be sent home until the parents address whatever issue is causing the child to create the disruption.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Of course helping the lower performing students is critical. However, I think some of the posters here are saying that they believe that this is being done at the expense of the good to above average performers.
It is absolutely being done at the expense of the entire class. Talk to a teacher and ask about how much time they spend dealing with the one or two disciplinary problems in their class which takes away from teaching the others. On average it's an hour a day!

Children who are motivated to learn but have diagnosed learning disabilities of course should be given extra help--but this shouldn't happen to the detriment of the entire class.

Kids who are behavior problems need to be sent home until the parents can address the issue. I'm not talking about the generally good student who has an off day one time during the year. I'm speaking of the chronic behavioral issues of one or two students who constantly cause disruption. They should not be allowed to remain in the classroom.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Bad kids if they are terrible-are put on ISP or are expelled - sent to special schools--but sometimes the more intelligent kids are paired up with the slower learners. If a teacher breeds a negative attitude towards that child, as mentioned in the posts, do not expect much from that child later, especially if it was in their younger years. You are doing great harm. In our troubled society do not go into teaching if you expect only prodigies will show up in class.
I know when my kids where in school, they had "advanced" classes in math and the rest stayed in general math so don't get bit of anyone being set back because of slower learners.
I would be angry if my high performing child was expected to tutor a poor performing child. That is taking away from my child's learning time. Send the kid who needs some extra help to a resource room for one-on-one professional instruction. Don't use the high performing students as "free help."

This type of nonsense is why parents who can afford to do so send their kids to private schools.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:15 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Milwaukee has had vouchers for 20 years. There's no significant progress.

DPI: Students in Milwaukee voucher program didn't perform better in state tests | Local Education | host.madison.com

Hurricane Katrina opened the doors for New Orleans to turn their district into a charter school district. The "Recovery School District" isn't the miracle that reformers envisioned it would be.

When it comes to private schools (or even public postsecondary), it's a two way street. The school also chooses you. A parent sending their child to Lake Highland or wherever with a $15,000 check doesn't mean that the school will allow them entry. That child has to meet the school's standards for behavior and academics. Public schools don't have that option. They have to accept everyone.

Who got the vouchers? Poor kids...how about expanding it to the middle class? or better yet, everyone, since everyone should be treated the same...then lets see the results.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:26 PM

the vouchers are for those kids who went to a bad performing school- not based on the parents income..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando