Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 05:01 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poobears View Post
I'm not worried about being in a high end subdivision surrounded by "elite renters", makes no difference to me who's living next door or whether it's a $50,000 car in the drive or a $5,000 one as long a the house I'm in is in a safe area. The only reason I was wanting Dp was for the safety and proximity to the parks, not because of the name or the status it carries. In my life growing up I've lived in high end houses with every bell and whistle and I've lived in houses without indoor plumbing or electric. I can make any house comfortable but I can't make every neighborhood safe or in a location I want. That's what matters.
I understand, unfortunately safety and price usually go hand in hand, although this can vary and there are exceptions.

I just did a search and found these which are safe and in/by Dr Phillips.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...87884890_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...89653271_zpid/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 05:48 PM

38 posts, read 29,127 times
We actually found the first one a little bit ago and looked at it. But it goes through a realty that requires the 3x's rent and right now I'm not making that since we are getting ready to move down, even afterwards I probably won't be making 3x's that. Paying rent will be easy enough but I doubt I'll be making 3x's rent every month. My business is shut down to a lower level and has been for a while, since we've been going through the divorce and move. I have plenty in the bank to live on for quite some time but it messes up the application. I haven't run it full time for the last couple of years either, since I was home schooling the girls through high school and we didn't need the income. I'll go back to full time on it once I get down there but I don't have anything to prove income, going to have to go through a private party for renting unless they will let me pay more up front and waive that requirement. Some will, most won't. The last 2 realtors I contacted and asked wouldn't even consider it.

Last edited by poobears; 09-08-2018 at 05:56 PM..

Old 09-08-2018, 06:41 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
I think Conway is fine, it’s a lot of working class folk who have been there for decades.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:22 PM

What about Windhover around Peregrine Ave? Seems a bit higher crime than some other areas but most looks like petty crime, I didn't see anything too major but only did a quick scan. I saw a nicely upgraded tiny house there, which would be a massive downgrade in size for us (the whole place is smaller than our houses living room LOL) but we could make it work, especially for the price. There's plenty of things to do if we get stir crazy and need to get out of the house and that would be close enough to do it.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poobears View Post
What about Windhover around Peregrine Ave? Seems a bit higher crime than some other areas but most looks like petty crime, I didn't see anything too major but only did a quick scan. I saw a nicely upgraded tiny house there, which would be a massive downgrade in size for us (the whole place is smaller than our houses living room LOL) but we could make it work, especially for the price. There's plenty of things to do if we get stir crazy and need to get out of the house and that would be close enough to do it.
The apartments there are really run down, I don’t know if it’s safe or not, but they look sketchy.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:12 AM

82 posts, read 154,687 times
Hi there....I live in the Conway area. It's perfectly fine here. It isn't one of the more "elite" areas but we all make do There are a lot of new businesses opening up on Curry Ford, and also around the SODO area off of S. Orange Avenue. Unfortunately the rental prices have gone way up here too, but it is still lower than DP. Other nice areas include Colonialtown/Audubon Park (can be pricey and smaller houses) and Maitland (mixed prices). I lived in Casselberry for a few years too and I liked it more than the Conway area. Not fancy either, but closer to Winter Park and Altamonte, and also more affordable. The one downside is the traffic isn't great, but that's pretty much all of Orlando now...

If you're looking for safe on a budget you should stop looking around the theme parks, International Drive, Metrowest, Pine Hils, etc. The "cheap" areas around there are not great/safe places to be. Dr. Phillips and Windermere are the nice areas of that part of town but, as you know, also higher priced.

I've always found Hotpads to be a good rental site.

Also, just to comment on a previous post, I lived in Gainesville for 5 years or so. It is really nice up there, lots of trees, not particularly crime-ridden (I don't know where you got that info from, but I felt safer up there than here in Orlando). It's a lot of college students and medical professionals. Very small town feels...

Last edited by Iris14; 09-09-2018 at 03:24 AM..

Old 09-09-2018, 06:38 AM

66 posts, read 41,900 times
Conway is just too close to bad neighborhoods for me. I wouldn't feel right.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris14 View Post
Hi there....I live in the Conway area. It's perfectly fine here. It isn't one of the more "elite" areas but we all make do There are a lot of new businesses opening up on Curry Ford, and also around the SODO area off of S. Orange Avenue. Unfortunately the rental prices have gone way up here too, but it is still lower than DP. Other nice areas include Colonialtown/Audubon Park (can be pricey and smaller houses) and Maitland (mixed prices). I lived in Casselberry for a few years too and I liked it more than the Conway area. Not fancy either, but closer to Winter Park and Altamonte, and also more affordable. The one downside is the traffic isn't great, but that's pretty much all of Orlando now...

If you're looking for safe on a budget you should stop looking around the theme parks, International Drive, Metrowest, Pine Hils, etc. The "cheap" areas around there are not great/safe places to be. Dr. Phillips and Windermere are the nice areas of that part of town but, as you know, also higher priced.

I've always found Hotpads to be a good rental site.

Also, just to comment on a previous post, I lived in Gainesville for 5 years or so. It is really nice up there, lots of trees, not particularly crime-ridden (I don't know where you got that info from, but I felt safer up there than here in Orlando). It's a lot of college students and medical professionals. Very small town feels...
I agree with you

Old 09-09-2018, 09:06 AM

@poobear

Check out “The Registry” they usually have 2-3 bedrooms around $1100-1200. It’s a good part of Conway. Nice amenities too.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:21 PM

Thanks, I'll check them out.

I know most people don't recommend living close in but we have lived rural for 20+ years. We drive about 10 minutes to the nearest grocery store and WM super center which isn't bad but that's all that's within that distance (other than little things like the PO, bank etc). We have to drive 35-45 minutes to get to the nearest movie theater, Aldis, Sams or Goodwill and doctors. Our local hospital changed to just a triage ER so now they just stabilize you and send you on, not that I ever wanted to go there anyways but being so far from everything is a major pain. Then add another 10-15+ minutes to get to the mall and hospitals. The nearest theme park is around an hour away on horrible roads. Basically whatever we want to do involves a long trip in the car. So we spend hours in the car every week.

I'm so over that, other people may love the whole rural living, outdoorsy thing and spending their days walking trails, fishing and hiking but that is not for us. Sure I enjoyed it as a kid but that isn't what I want to do now and my kids have zero interest in it, except occasional trips. I want to be within minutes of where I want to go, even if that means dealing with bumper to bumper traffic every day. Traffic doesn't bother me, even crazy holiday rush hour like we got stuck in GA last year, took us 3 hours to get across town. No big deal, I have the patience of a Saint when it comes to traffic. I just don't want to deal with long commutes for every little thing. I'm not going to move over 1200 miles, and pay high rent, to wind up in the same situation I'm in now where I have to drive 20-30 minutes to do anything more than walk and look at trees LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando