Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 07:42 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

For your budget, I think the Registry will meet your needs of location. Let me know how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 07:59 PM

78 posts, read 164,552 times
I lived in Metrowest from 2008 - 2012 at Vista Verde Apartments. The quality of neighbors got worse every year I was there. Cops called a few times. The apartment next to me was broken into around 9pm while we were in our apartment watching television and never even heard a thing. I was more than ready to get out of there when I relocated back to my home town. I'm going to move back to the Orlando area and probably going to work at Disney again. This time around I want to buy a house with a pool and I'm looking at the Lake Nona area but I want to live closer to the airport this time as I plan to travel more and I want to be closer to the beach. A friend lived in Lake Nona right when it was getting more built up and it's really nice but probably farther than you want to be. My other choices would be Dr. Phillips and Windermere. I would drive through Dr. Phillips almost everyday to and from work between Metrowest and Disney and I just loved that area. I agree, the houses over there are pretty old and not very nice looking. Especially the ones in the neighborhood near the Barnes and Noble. I lived in Davenport for a few months and it wasn't bad but people would drive crazy through there on the main road. A few bad accidents. Good luck with your move. I hope I will be back there as soon as I can find a job.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:08 AM

66 posts, read 41,890 times
Metrowest if you want to be robbed and left for dead.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:28 PM

38 posts, read 29,121 times
There's a few areas we aren't even looking, like anything near Pine Hills or the surrounding area, anything around Millenia Mall and that area we've marked off. Even though you can find cheap places, it's just not worth the risk to us.

Like I mentioned earlier if we need to, we can move to another town this year and move into Orlando next year, think we decided against Tallahassee, though it was a contender for a while. Might try to find something between Orlando and Lakeland. Don't think I want in Lakeland since I've heard there's a ton of drug related crime there but maybe something in between. Would definitely need to be on the low end of the budget if I move down that far though. We'd be putting a lot of miles in and spending a lot on gas.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:24 AM

82 posts, read 154,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poobears View Post
Thanks, I'll check them out.

I know most people don't recommend living close in but we have lived rural for 20+ years. We drive about 10 minutes to the nearest grocery store and WM super center which isn't bad but that's all that's within that distance (other than little things like the PO, bank etc). We have to drive 35-45 minutes to get to the nearest movie theater, Aldis, Sams or Goodwill and doctors. Our local hospital changed to just a triage ER so now they just stabilize you and send you on, not that I ever wanted to go there anyways but being so far from everything is a major pain. Then add another 10-15+ minutes to get to the mall and hospitals. The nearest theme park is around an hour away on horrible roads. Basically whatever we want to do involves a long trip in the car. So we spend hours in the car every week.

I'm so over that, other people may love the whole rural living, outdoorsy thing and spending their days walking trails, fishing and hiking but that is not for us. Sure I enjoyed it as a kid but that isn't what I want to do now and my kids have zero interest in it, except occasional trips. I want to be within minutes of where I want to go, even if that means dealing with bumper to bumper traffic every day. Traffic doesn't bother me, even crazy holiday rush hour like we got stuck in GA last year, took us 3 hours to get across town. No big deal, I have the patience of a Saint when it comes to traffic. I just don't want to deal with long commutes for every little thing. I'm not going to move over 1200 miles, and pay high rent, to wind up in the same situation I'm in now where I have to drive 20-30 minutes to do anything more than walk and look at trees LOL
I don't know if you've ever been down here to check out the area, but the majority of the Orlando "area" is not rural. Not At All. Getting further out from the Universal/International Drive area doesn't change that. I'm probably about 30 minutes out from Universal (depending on traffic of course) but within around 5 miles of my house there are - counting - 4 Publix, a Winn-Dixie, 2 Targets (one Super), a Walmart, 2 Walmart supermarkets, several Spanish groceries, 2 hospitals (1 a major trauma center), 2 movie theaters, 2 library branches, 1 (admittedly failing) mall, 6 Starbucks, tons of restaurants (chain and not), and plenty of other stores and whatnots. We don't have a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, but they are currently building 2 Lucky's nearby. So Orlando is decidedly not lacking in retail or modern amenities! Most of Orlando is actually kind of a giant strip mall, to be honest....

For anything else, most people here just get used to driving a little. I regularly go up to Winter Park for movies and food and Trader Joe's. I hit up the Florida Mall, just a bit south of here. I went for brunch down near DP a few weekends ago. I attended UCF a few years ago and drove out there several times a week. I know lots of people who have Universal passes, and none of them live near there.

So, I'm not trying to convince you to move here or not. I ultimately don't know if Central Florida is right for you and your family. But I think it might be very different than you are imagining. From what you are describing as your current location, it is the complete opposite here. There are outdoor activities in Florida, but that's what you have to travel to. There are a number of lakes, but it's not a hiking area, that's for sure. I'm not outdoorsy either; the only outdoor activity I like here is the beach Maybe you should try to take a trip down here and explore a little before making such a big move?

Last edited by Iris14; 09-11-2018 at 11:36 AM..

Old 09-11-2018, 11:37 AM

113 posts, read 141,868 times
Check out Titusville, stay away from Harrision Ave area (higher crime area), south of Country Club Drive is good or North of Garden St. Drive time to Universal is about 45 minutes.

Why do you want to live near the attractions? Traffic is horrendous to live close to something that you may visit once a month.

Look at an area that has everything else your looking for and make the 45 minute drive when you want to do to the attractions.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpafr012 View Post
Check out Titusville, stay away from Harrision Ave area (higher crime area), south of Country Club Drive is good or North of Garden St. Drive time to Universal is about 45 minutes.

Why do you want to live near the attractions? Traffic is horrendous to live close to something that you may visit once a month.

Look at an area that has everything else your looking for and make the 45 minute drive when you want to do to the attractions.

Traffic is only bad during peak times in the morning and evening. If you are an annual pass holder, there is no reason to drive during rush hour, so really you could live anywhere in Orlando and still enjoy the parks. However, Dr. Phillips, even during peak hours is still 10 minutes. However, it's out of the OP's budget, but like I said even in other parts of Orlando, just avoid peak hours and you'll be fine. I go to Universal and Disney often, but usually just for 2-3 hours each time, that's the beauty of having annual passes.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:59 PM

38 posts, read 29,121 times
We are not all day park kinds of people. Even when we are down on vacation we only stay at the park a few hours and head back to the condo or house we are renting near by. That's why I don't want to be a long ways from the park. Like BMW stated, it's nice to just hop over to the parks during a slow time of day, enjoy it and then do something else. We like to go, get some fun in and then head off and do other activities. Spending a full day in the park is exhausting and just not our thing and if you drive a long ways to get there, you feel like you have to stay, just to make it worth while.

My problem with DP is right now there's basically nothing coming up that isn't crazy expensive. The few that are reasonable, require 3x's rent verification. Can't prove that right now since we are moving. Any rental with that requirement is off the table. If one opens up without that requirement DP would be an option.

We can take theme parks out of the equation for a while if we need to, it's not the end of the world. It would be nice if we could find something close enough to shopping that the girls could pick up some PT retail jobs that I didn't have to drive them to since we only have 1 car, so walkable or on a bus line would be a big bonus. Found one little apt. by one of the malls (FL mall maybe) the other day and crime didn't look too bad, can't remember exactly where it was, have it saved. Will have to go back and look at it again. Even right by Publix or Trader Joes for PT jobs would work, although I'm not sure how hard it is to get on at them, I know some places take forever to get PT jobs at.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:45 PM

Don’t live by FL mall, it’s high crime even if thr crime map didn’t show much. OBT (Orange Blossom Trail, is a poverty area and where people go to buy heroin or have nasty car fun with an addict.

Orlando has a million retail jobs. I have a lot of friends who work retail from manager to stock room attendant. Try looking for places around Vineland Premium Outlets. You can also look around Storey Lake, which is in Kissimmee, but it’s quite nice. I don’t know what rent is there. You’d still be pretty close to Universal and things to do.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:06 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Don’t live by FL mall, it’s high crime even if thr crime map didn’t show much. OBT (Orange Blossom Trail, is a poverty area and where people go to buy heroin or have nasty car fun with an addict.

Orlando has a million retail jobs. I have a lot of friends who work retail from manager to stock room attendant. Try looking for places around Vineland Premium Outlets. You can also look around Storey Lake, which is in Kissimmee, but it’s quite nice. I don’t know what rent is there. You’d still be pretty close to Universal and things to do.
I agree.

Further South would be better if going that direction. Closer to Hunter's Creek also has some good options, and is close to major retail (as is virtually ALL of Orlando really) and to the attractions.

Near FL Mall is drug-ridden, prostitution, guns, strip clubs, etc. Avoid living around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando