Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:26 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
How are you doing today. You definitely took the post the wrong way. I was just curious about where black people resided at, plain and simple.
Have been better and have been worse. Can't complain, but probably will anyway. Your question for Orange County just sounded like it was taken from a time capsule from 40 years ago. You'll find most of Orange County is pretty diverse and mixed. In fact, most of the counties in the central part of FL are. That goes for Osceola, Lake, Polk and Orange. Those are the counties I am most familiar with. If you are interested in an area or interested in a specific house or apartment, go for it.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:52 AM

33 posts, read 147,691 times
Default Black Population of Orange County

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
Where are the black areas of Orange County? Is the black population concentrated in a few areas of the county (Like north, south, etc.), or is it more spread out?

Thanks for any info.
I lived in Orange County Florida for a year, and let me tell you, the cultural depravity is ultimately depressing. I have never felt so alone and unaccepted in my life. I could care less if people are black, white, pink, or blue. (I am black). What I did find so unacceptable, was the lack of respect I encountered, the rudeness of the societyas a whole, the inability to interact with people that shared my ideas of fun, worship, and conversation. I worked with Hispanics, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, and Cubans. I was the only black person in my office, and while it was not a problem for me, the racial divide was evident. When it all boiled down to it, they all basically spoke the same language. As much as I tried to integrate myself into their likes and dislikes, and be a part of the whole, it was apparent that the only relationship we had, was one that was work related. Anything outside of work, was not welcomed. If it had not been for the private lake at my complex, where I could find some kind of tranquility and peace, I would have lost it. I welcomed what I thought would have been diversity, but it was not willing to accept me. I was unable to find a hairdresser that could satisfactorily style my hair. I have since moved away, and don't know if I will return there to live. I wish you better success and happiness.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:15 AM

732 posts, read 4,157,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Wow, that's a really strange question and I'm not sure what to make of it. There are all kinds of people in Orange County and if you are looking for a typical, segregated city like those of the 60's and 70's, you'll be disappointed. By the way, you are also way behind the times. People don't have different skin colors unless your life is ruled by the term "prejudice" or "racial" or something along those lines.

Move to Orlando for the activities, the conventions, the gardens, the tanning, the lack of snow or cold weather and kiss your snow tires good-bye. Please don't tarnish Orange County with any more "social issues" because Orange County is so over it and has moved on.
Would you move into Pine Hills or Paramoore if you were white?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:17 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
Would you move into Pine Hills or Paramoore if you were white?
I wouldn't move there if I was black either.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:23 AM

732 posts, read 4,157,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I wouldn't move there if I was black either.
Exactly

Old 11-01-2008, 01:49 PM

58 posts, read 182,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdiffy View Post
I lived in Orange County Florida for a year, and let me tell you, the cultural depravity is ultimately depressing. I have never felt so alone and unaccepted in my life. I could care less if people are black, white, pink, or blue. (I am black). What I did find so unacceptable, was the lack of respect I encountered, the rudeness of the societyas a whole, the inability to interact with people that shared my ideas of fun, worship, and conversation. I worked with Hispanics, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, and Cubans. I was the only black person in my office, and while it was not a problem for me, the racial divide was evident. When it all boiled down to it, they all basically spoke the same language. As much as I tried to integrate myself into their likes and dislikes, and be a part of the whole, it was apparent that the only relationship we had, was one that was work related. Anything outside of work, was not welcomed. If it had not been for the private lake at my complex, where I could find some kind of tranquility and peace, I would have lost it. I welcomed what I thought would have been diversity, but it was not willing to accept me. I was unable to find a hairdresser that could satisfactorily style my hair. I have since moved away, and don't know if I will return there to live. I wish you better success and happiness.
Ms. Diffy, I have SOME of the same feelings you do. This is why in another post on Language barriers in Orlando, I stated that I have very mixed feelings about Latinos, thanks to Orlando and Florida. I find Latin men to be my men of choice and are VERY attracted to them (95% sure I will wind up marrying one). I also appreciate their culture. HOWEVER, I do not appreciate the language barrier I have experienced at several jobs and in the daily community and the alienation and outcasting that it causes. If you go to my local Wal-Mart (by Alafaya Trail on East edge of town) around the corner on the weekends, nearly everyone, even all the employees, speak Spanish. It got to a point where I actually started to become hateful and racist towards Latinos. Being a person who doesn't believe in racism, I stopped for a moment, examined my actions one day, and realized I WAS becoming hateful because of the barrier. Since then, I took it upon myself to learn the language and remove that alienation factor from the Latino community. After all, chances are I will probably spend my life with a Latino. I have become about maybe 75% fluent in Spanish, understand about 75% of it when spoken, and my hate has almost disappeared since then. HOWEVER, I still find it backwards and humbling, that as a U.S. citizen, now I'm treated as the foreigner and have to learn another people's language. Any situation where I feel Spanish is keeping me isolated still at times makes me cringe. For the most part though, I've learned to be more tolerant.

But, definitely know what you're talking about Ms. Diffy. What I find even more ironic and hilarious is the minute they detect you being aloof from the group or wanting to not be a part of the group due to the barrier, then they start to get offended, disappointed, and ask questions about your demeanor.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:54 PM

58 posts, read 182,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Wow, that's a really strange question and I'm not sure what to make of it. There are all kinds of people in Orange County and if you are looking for a typical, segregated city like those of the 60's and 70's, you'll be disappointed. By the way, you are also way behind the times. People don't have different skin colors unless your life is ruled by the term "prejudice" or "racial" or something along those lines.

Move to Orlando for the activities, the conventions, the gardens, the tanning, the lack of snow or cold weather and kiss your snow tires good-bye. Please don't tarnish Orange County with any more "social issues" because Orange County is so over it and has moved on.
AliceT, I have asked this very same question about Latinos in the Philadelphia and New Jersey forums. There ws no racism behind the question, as I'm sure mdiggs1 didn't intend. It's more of a cultural questions. Some gay people want to know where they will be tolerated more. Some interracial couples would like to know where they would be tolerated more. You were a bit sensitive and snappish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando