Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida: Orlando, neighborhood, downtown, traffic, cost of living.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:05 PM

28 posts, read 154,961 times

Advertisements

Well I guess we're about as outsider as you can get at this point. We're relocating to Orlando the end of next week. We just returned from a relo trip last week where we rented a condo (short-term) and registered for school. Our perceptions from our first trip (Dec) and this trip were similar. The first trip we fell in love with Lake Mary / Heathrow area. We never hit Oviedo or Winter Park at that time. This trip we visited both areas as well as Baldwin Park. There are parts of Winter Park we very much like - the expensive ones. LOL We loved WP Village, Lake Susan (by the lake) and some of the Interlachen areas. There were others, but don't ask me what - it's all a blur. Oviedo was okay - we loved the school and that's likely where we'll live, but we're not sure where yet. Twin Lakes area seemed nicer and newer, but we're not enthused about it being further East - we're more interested in Aloma/Tuscawilla area - closer to Winter Park. We still LOVE Heathrow and frankly that's our preference, but it's just too far from school and work.

Perceptions on the houses - honestly they weren't positive. They look like a bunch of matchbox houses - i.e. thrown together as cheaply as possible - the exterior finishes look so CHEAP. There were some homes that looked better, but they were pretty high end. I was disappointed - the homes look much better in photos IMHO. I don't mean to offend - just giving you the outside perspective you asked for. I've been around - lived in every area of the US at this point other than the extreme NE - S. CA, N. CA, OR, WA, MN, MO, NE, MD, DC, GA. I may be forgetting someplace... LOL

So, that being said I also know traffic - frankly I wasn't the least perturbed or intimidated by traffic on I-4 and yes we hit it at rush hour on Thurs and Fri. We also drove 417 during am rush hour - absolute BREEZE. I-4 was congested, but let me tell ya I was just in Atlanta Mon and Tues of this week driving during am rush hour and there is NO COMPARISON - none. I've also driven in LA, Orange County and DC during and even not during rush hour and again I-4 doesn't compare to the congestion those areas serve up on a daily basis. Sure it's busy, but it's moving. Still, if I can avoid it I will - I'm no fan of traffic.

The stuff - that's what I love. We're in Columbus GA right now - not much stuff. I was in HEAVEN - so much to do in Orlando - it feels like HOME to me. Actually, Heathrow area reminds me a bit of Irvine area in CA - not sure exactly why...

At any rate I'm ecstatic to be moving to Orlando. I am SO glad to be back in civilization! LOL I'm not sure I'll like the humidity or the bugs, but we'll see how it goes. That's a big reason we're not buying right away - we want to be sure FL is a keeper for us. If not then we just don't want to be tied down. I'm also not at all interested in taking the loss with a market correction and I feel that's more likely than not. Regardless, there's no fire for us to buy - just one for us to find the right long-term rental!

Oh and about the people - i.e. rude etc... You know I've found people to be very pleasant. I even commented on it again this trip. I'm hoping the transient society will be easier for meeting people. I know that's the case in CA - people are a bit wary - they aren't going to run up and chat with you in the grocery store, but they have more room for including you in their life once they do meet you. The thing with Columbus is people will talk your ear off in the store or the parking lot, but it's entirely superficial - anything deeper is darn near impossible. It takes two years for people to even notice you. I don't mean to sound negative - there are good things too, but I'm hoping we find forming friendships easier in Orlando. I guess I'm hoping it's more similar to CA than GA and I like GA just fine overall...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 01:31 AM

181 posts, read 453,563 times
Default An answer from an outsider from South Africa

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I often travel to Europe and the USA. I live in one of the most stunning places on earth, Cape Town. I spend nights on end studying cities and collecting stats of the US. I read forums, ask questions watch CNN, and view real estate on the internet and in person when I travel to the USA and Europe. Why? For more than 20 years I have had this intense desire to own an overseas property, and I have finally decided on Orlando! My next one will be in Groningen, The Netherlands.[/font]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']There is one common phenomenon that I've noticed on almost all forums similar to this one: you almost always get a hand full of residents from that state or town that are so extremely negative, it immediately scares any person wanting to visit or relocate off immediately, unless you understand how to read between the lines of these forums, especially as an outsider.[/font]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I'm not saying this to sound derogative, but many times those negative people are in a place where they are stuck with their circumstances. I know, because with the weak South African currency, the high crime rate (highest rape in the world, second largest murder rate, first with murder with fire arms, highest number of people living with HIV Aids) and the brain drain here in South Africa, it sometimes feel as if you're in a dark hole with an overactive left brain which is in survival mode and cannot experience the good, creative and beauty around us.[/font]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Sometimes, if you are so negative, it may be that you need a change of environment, even if it is temporarily, and that is exactly what I have been working towards for the last few years.[/font]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Last year I took my family to stay in Winter Garden for three weeks. We did a house swop so we could experience normal living, driving to shops to buy groceries, preparing our own food, going to church on Sunday etc. etc. Ok, granted, we also did the tourist thing and remember, we were on holiday after all. But yes, we were OUTSIDERS, and that is what the question was about.[/font]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']1. We experienced the traffic as some sort of a nightmare but hey, it was my first time ever I drove in Orlando and on the wrong side of the road.... Contrary to many posts here, I found that if I drove in the slow lane, no one ever displayed road rage or flashed lights or gave me the finger sign.[/font]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']2. In supermarkets away from the tourist traps many people would hear me speaking with an accent and start a conversation with me.[/font]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']3. Most times when I asked for directions people were extremely friendly and helpful. I made sure that I approached them in a friendly manner and they reciprocated.[/font]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I know this all sounds cheesy, but you know what, when you visit Cape Town, you will experience the same. So what is my point? Sometimes a change is as good as a holiday. If you’re frustrated about where you live, forgive being blunt, do something constructive about it, even if it takes you, as in my case, twenty years! If you don’t like the place or crime is out of hand (for a new perspective on crime, visit South Africa) set a goal to get out of your environment.[/font]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']If I could leave South Africa tomorrow, I'll do it. Why? Not because I'm disgruntled, need a change of environment or anything else than because of the fact that violent crime is totally out of hand and you are not safe anywhere, even living in the best area possible.[/font]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']So 04 June 2008 I will be in Orlando: working, planning, dreaming and pursuing to change my own lot, so I can get out of this feeling of being stuck, in survival mode, being critical and at the end of the day, allowing circumstances to make me a bitter person and rob me of the joy of life..... Go Orlando, GO, you’re doing great![/font]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando