Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 05:40 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,137,772 times

Advertisements

Sounds like Lake Nona area is the place for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 06:57 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,413 times
I’d say Winter Park, Baldwin Park, downtown Orlando and SoDo.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:16 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldogg View Post
... to move to?

What I'm looking for:

1. Doesn't have to be a gated community, but can be. Looking for a HOA or condo so that maintenance is handled by someone else.
2. Built up or soon to be built up to the point where it has or will soon have restaurants, Target/Walmart, supermarkets, movie theaters, etc.
3. Ahem ... trying to put this in the most diplomatic way that I can ... is the most similar (notice I didn't say "is the same" or "is similar" because I don't expect that) to South Florida or Tampa/St. Pete areas in terms of the population, diversity, etc. I've already been to Clermont and Clermont did not appear to be it.

4. Not too far from a major airport, but not too close to the congestion of Disney (say at least 15-30 minutes away).
5. A major medical center with a good reputation within 15-30 minutes.

Thanks in advance!

L.
Dr. Phillips, specifically neighborhoods like...

Point Cypress
Parkside
Somerset Shores
Residences at Dellagio
Granada Villas
Vizcaya

Old 08-17-2021, 08:03 AM

10 posts, read 14,530 times
Thank you Everyone. I really appreciate your help.

Just to make a clarification, and hopefully without causing any offense or rudeness ...

When I visited Clermont (albeit it was only for a few days), the "gut feel" I got for it was it was more like the deep South in terms of the type of people that I noticed when out at supermarkets and shopping malls. That is not to say that there weren't other types of people, but that is the impression I left with.

I am looking for a place to possibly move where a white person who is in a minority ethnic/religious group (or perhaps even a member of a minority group) would feel comfortable and would feel that they have something in common with other similar residents. In order for that to be the case, those "similar residents" need to be a large enough group to be noticeable.

I realize this is subjective and up to the individual. But I have been to the Tampa/St. Pete/Sarasota area a few times and I have spent lots of time in Palm Beach and Broward Counties ... and the impression I have from those areas (for the most part) is that the "feel" is distinctly different from that of Clermont when you take this into consideration (not that Clermont isn't a nice place, on the contrary). Even Dallas, TX and its surrounding suburbs (where I have spent a lot of time) gives one a different feel that is not "rural".

Again, this is not meant to offend anyone. I think it's kind of natural to seek out a place to live where you feel comfortable and amongst others who are like you.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:21 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Thank you Everyone. I really appreciate your help.

Just to make a clarification, and hopefully without causing any offense or rudeness ...

When I visited Clermont (albeit it was only for a few days), the "gut feel" I got for it was it was more like the deep South in terms of the type of people that I noticed when out at supermarkets and shopping malls. That is not to say that there weren't other types of people, but that is the impression I left with.

I am looking for a place to possibly move where a white person who is in a minority ethnic/religious group (or perhaps even a member of a minority group) would feel comfortable and would feel that they have something in common with other similar residents. In order for that to be the case, those "similar residents" need to be a large enough group to be noticeable.

I realize this is subjective and up to the individual. But I have been to the Tampa/St. Pete/Sarasota area a few times and I have spent lots of time in Palm Beach and Broward Counties ... and the impression I have from those areas (for the most part) is that the "feel" is distinctly different from that of Clermont when you take this into consideration (not that Clermont isn't a nice place, on the contrary). Even Dallas, TX and its surrounding suburbs (where I have spent a lot of time) gives one a different feel that is not "rural".

Again, this is not meant to offend anyone. I think it's kind of natural to seek out a place to live where you feel comfortable and amongst others who are like you.
So... That feeling you got from Clermont is accurate -- as is all of Lake County. The county in general has more of a rural "old South" feel than Seminole, Orange and Osceola Counties. Parts of Apopka also feel like this, but that feeling quickly dissipates once you make your way out of there. Places like Sanford, Lake Mary, Longwood, Altamonte, Winter Springs, Oviedo, all of Orlando, Winter Park, Dr. Philips, etc., will all give you that familiar vibe you might be looking for if comparing to Pinellas and Broward Counties. Kyle's suggestions about looking into the Wekiva area are good, as are those suggesting Lake Nona, and Dr. Philips. They are nothing like Clermont.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:17 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Most of Seminole County (the areas Kyle mentioned) would fit the bill in this regard. Definite nod to Heathrow.

At that price range, you might be able to find something nice even in Winter Park.
As would the west side of Sanford (west of I-4 along the SR46 corridor) which I am surprised Arcenal didn't list as well. Lake Forest is a large planned community similar to Heathrow. Others include Buckingham Estates, Sylvan Woods, Bella Foresta and the Preserve at Astor Farms. The schools are all "A" or "A+" rated as well. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...%60%40sDt~BtmH

Another well-established area of very nice homes (typically on larger lots) exists in Tuscawilla in the NE suburb of Winter Springs. It like the preceding options is more buttoned-down and less glitzy than some other recommendations so far tend to be. Tuscawilla is very family-friendly and similarly well-educated overall with great schools. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...00000?view=map

Old 08-19-2021, 05:54 AM

210 posts, read 270,974 times
Quote:

So you're looking for a more urban feel but in a smaller scale? My parents lived in the Knox-Henderson area of Dallas, I've lived in the Las Olas area (Victoria Park) and the Hyde Park area of Tampa. Are these the type of areas you're looking for? If that assumption is correct then I'd focus your search on areas closer to downtown Orlando. Baldwin Park, Winter Park, College Park and SOME parts of Thornton Park, specifically just south of Lake Eola (Sanctuary, Star Tower neighborhoods). You'll have a culturally diverse population but more conforming property prices and options. All mentioned are walkable with amenities and have a vibrant active vibe where you'd come home from work on a Friday and never drive your car over the weekend.

Clermont is country to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando