Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 03:59 AM

442 posts, read 2,912,712 times

Advertisements

I pay for My child to go to private school also, because the schools in Poinciana are Horrible, and unorganized...
If Knew how poinciana would of been 9 yrs ago i would of never bought a house here....
And Unfortunatley , or Fortuantely we are getting ready to sell our house, I have Beutiful Home with a Larger Inground pool on a Half acre lot.bvacking up to the conservation area.. so i will be sad to leave all that , but not sad to leave this area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 07:55 AM

55 posts, read 233,896 times
I have a home in Southern Dunes it very nice there. We can be in the parks in 30mins the country side in 5mins. Fishing sports etc in area great, schools well they are like lots overcrowded etc. Polk has some really nice calm clean areas I love it a lot.I live in the UK but try to get back as often as I can.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:21 PM

2 posts, read 7,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settlepa View Post
I have been looking to relocate to FL from NY and Polk seems to be reasonable for what you can get for 225k compared to other areas. I appreciate feedback but if you just want to complain, go elsewhere. I have a family and looking for good schools. Davenport or Kissimmi come to mind.
other areas to consider is lakeland/bartow, there are some great neighborhoods, areas, plus low taxes, affordable housing, get more house for the dollar, good schools, friendly neighbors. also winter haven. everyone here is listing good areas i just thought i'd add these areas too. we are selling our home (we need to move back to east coast due to my husbands job & our older children are moving in with us)but we like the people & being close to the big cities yet having some sense of neighborhood. we are originally from new york & moved from the east coast(taxes on the east coast are high). we moved to the area because we fell in love with all the lakes ( we like boating) this is not a plug to sell our home for all those reading. we just really think highly of this area & i personally wish we could stay. maybe one day we will be back. it's a great place for kids

Last edited by vineyardimporters; 02-16-2007 at 03:30 PM..

Old 02-16-2007, 03:43 PM

631 posts, read 2,451,219 times
Poinciana was once very nice, but now it's pretty scary. In fact, most of Kissimmee is pretty scary. It's an ugly, ugly town.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:27 PM

Nah its not That scary,...The Traffic is scary, and the Leader of APV is scary..because she does nothing..Where i live I actually like it , and if our house does'nt sell for what we want then , i have no real problem, staying here.. We just like Winter Haven Better..
Poinciana will be nice again , when they get organized when i first moved here 9 yrs ago there was nothing her..win dixie and the farm store and one gas station..and it was nice and simple but now its becoming over crowded on the roads.. and well they just got there fingers out there you know whats and are starting the TOLL ROAD yeah !!!!.....that will be a huge Relief!
and now i hear there is going to be a hospital after all

Old 02-20-2007, 06:28 PM

13 posts, read 42,499 times
Default Polk County

Polk County is a great area. Lots of nice towns. Winter Haven is the best town in Polk County.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:25 AM

7 posts, read 32,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settlepa View Post
I have been looking to relocate to FL from NY and Polk seems to be reasonable for what you can get for 225k compared to other areas. I appreciate feedback but if you just want to complain, go elsewhere. I have a family and looking for good schools. Davenport or Kissimmi come to mind.
Both cities you mention are in the tourist area of central Florida and property is overly expensive. You need to consider a little farther south in the county for the best bang for your dollar to built, maybe Haines city, Lake Alfred or Winter Haven. I'd also suggest that you look into the building impact fees and property tax millage before you decide where to relocate your family.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:26 PM

I have to agree with fl80gator..I love Winter HAven...

Old 09-05-2007, 01:17 PM

24 posts, read 76,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKmartin View Post
I have a home in Southern Dunes it very nice there. We can be in the parks in 30mins the country side in 5mins. Fishing sports etc in area great, schools well they are like lots overcrowded etc. Polk has some really nice calm clean areas I love it a lot.I live in the UK but try to get back as often as I can.
Southern Dunes might be nice but as soon as you get out onto Hwy 27, watch out. Tons of accidents have happened because the cities (Davenport, Haines City , Clermont, & etc.) don't care that the speed limit is 65. That's right! Try pulling out of a subdivision in any other area where traffic is horrible and the speed limit is 65. Remember 60% carry a HS diploma or higher degree.

Also, Southern Dunes is close to Regency Place. It is a communist neighborhood. Only 2 cars fit in your driveway and the 6 parking lot spaces is all they offer even if you have family visiting you from north, they don't care. DO NOT PARK ON STREET AFTER 10, THEY WILL TOW IT OFF! It cost me 350 for one night of towing. Plus, they will fine your children 50 bucks if they are playing in the street (cul de sac). Don't believe me, check it out yourself. Get the schedule of fines! It's a joke!
Most of these new poorly developed homes are HOA with hideous fines and by laws. They can change it after you buy too. So, you will be stuck there because no one wants to buy a home that HOA thinks they are above the law.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:26 PM

24 posts, read 76,818 times
To add: Most newly developed areas in Polk County consist of people who do not have a family and are not family friendly. Winter Haven has one down fall; Polk County Cops. I'm white and I can tell they profiling exists not just with race but gender. Winter Haven has old fashion views so if you are willing to take a risk for that or even if you support, then go ahead. Polk is one of the poorest counties in nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando