Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:22 AM

16 posts, read 65,996 times

Advertisements

How about nursing jobs @ Disney? I am not so much interested in working in the park as I am in the rumored new facility for employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 03:58 PM

385 posts, read 1,403,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutbckt View Post
How about nursing jobs @ Disney? I am not so much interested in working in the park as I am in the rumored new facility for employees.
The new facility is called the Center For Living Well; it's in the Epcot Cast Member parking lot. I love it, they have really convenient hours for Cast Members and I love the people who work there. It's run by Take Care Health Employer Solutions, this is a link to their employment web site. Note that since it's not working for the Disney company, I don't know what the benefits are.

-Harry

Old 11-09-2009, 05:17 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgebel View Post
The new facility is called the Center For Living Well; it's in the Epcot Cast Member parking lot. I love it, they have really convenient hours for Cast Members and I love the people who work there. It's run by Take Care Health Employer Solutions, this is a link to their employment web site. Note that since it's not working for the Disney company, I don't know what the benefits are.

-Harry
If I had to guess, the employees are probably considered "operating participants" which offers them limited Disney perks (theme park entry, merchandise discount) after a period of employment.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:09 PM

16 posts, read 65,996 times
Thanks to everyone for the information, I appreciate it.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:30 PM

385 posts, read 1,403,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
If I had to guess, the employees are probably considered "operating participants" which offers them limited Disney perks (theme park entry, merchandise discount) after a period of employment.
When I mentioned I didn't know the benefits I was actually talking about medical, educational assistance, etc. While I love those perks that I get as a Cast Member, I don't think that any of them have enough of a monetary value to be considered (much of) a benefit, especially since (in a healthier economy where other jobs are available) I could recoup their monetary value and then some simply by switching to another employer. For example, for $2083.24 more pay (equivalent to a little over $1 per hour when income taxes are considered) I could get Florida Resident Premium Annual Passes for a family of four adults (ie, over 9 years old) that would actually give quite a bit better admission privileges than I get as a Cast Member. They would also replicate on a smaller scale some of the discounts, although in any case you would have to spend a pretty big chunk of change before most of the discounts amounted to anything more than a nice but still minor convenience.

On the other hand, the actual benefits at Disney are pretty great, some of the best I've had. The medical benefits alone are worth thousands of dollars. However, these are definitely not available to operating participants, who would be covered under their own company's benefits plan.

-Harry

Last edited by hgebel; 12-09-2009 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: smaller some -> smaller scale some

Old 12-10-2009, 03:21 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgebel View Post
When I mentioned I didn't know the benefits I was actually talking about medical, educational assistance, etc. While I love those perks that I get as a Cast Member, I don't think that any of them have enough of a monetary value to be considered (much of) a benefit, especially since (in a healthier economy where other jobs are available) I could recoup their monetary value and then some simply by switching to another employer. For example, for $2083.24 more pay (equivalent to a little over $1 per hour when income taxes are considered) I could get Florida Resident Premium Annual Passes for a family of four adults (ie, over 9 years old) that would actually give quite a bit better admission privileges than I get as a Cast Member. They would also replicate on a smaller scale some of the discounts, although in any case you would have to spend a pretty big chunk of change before most of the discounts amounted to anything more than a nice but still minor convenience.

On the other hand, the actual benefits at Disney are pretty great, some of the best I've had. The medical benefits alone are worth thousands of dollars. However, these are definitely not available to operating participants, who would be covered under their own company's benefits plan.

-Harry
Oh trust me--I wasn't trying to defend Disney's benefits as an excuse for their lower wages. I agree with you 100% and I used to cringe when I worked for the company and my fellow Cast Members would try to justify their sh*tty pay by "ohh, but I can get into the parks for free!!!"

Although Disney merch discount + eBay used to make me some extra $$$ now and then.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:59 PM

78 posts, read 259,445 times
I am so bored to tears....I am in my mid 50's, go on interviews, dont get hired...etc. Cant stand for very long periods of time anymore like I did in my last job I wked at for 23 yrs. etc....dont know what to do with myself....We moved here from NY Dec. 08 and still cant seem to find my niche.....I NEED HELP!!!!

Old 03-17-2010, 11:34 PM

10 posts, read 27,498 times
I worked for Disney as Restaurant Manager for a little of 5 years. I absolutely loved it. At the last location I was at The Wide World of Sports, over 75% of my cast was over 60 and most of them were fantastic and really enjoyed the work they were doing there even if the pay wasn't great.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,916 times
I am a soon to be retired school teacher. I taught high school instrumental music for 20 years and have been a high school counselor for 13 years. My dream is to work at disney during the winter part time. How do I go about applying and do they hire people like myself? thanks

Old 01-26-2012, 06:29 AM

565 posts, read 1,253,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
If you are a florida resident both disney and busch gardens offer the yearly pass, then go all you want.
Piece 'o cake. Except that for a family of five (like mine), the yearly pass thing will set you back about $3,000.

Not sure having fun at a single theme park (even one as large as Disney) is worth $3K a year. Gonna try the 3-day Florida resident pass for $99 apiece using my income tax return. That way I could still afford to visit Universal, Sea World, Legoland, etc., later in the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando