Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 11:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfIfan View Post
I think we are realistic and intelligent enough to know that really isnt true. Oh i forgot the declaration of Independence was signed in Winter Park!...lol

Someone once told me before Disney was around and stole their thunder there was a water tower in Winter Garden that people used to come here to see. Now that has huge historical significance doesnt it. I'll arrange coach trip so we can all visit it.

I think as someone who enjoys learning about history, going to museums, art gallaries and the such, that that sort of thing is very light on the ground here. Unless interms of history you enjoy studying swamps. Or the hilliarios sign that says Historic Kissimmee. Kissimmees cliam to fame is that it was originally called Allendale but was renamed in the 1880s when it became incorporated. And its claim to fame/growth can be credited to Hamilton Disston of Philidelphia, who based his two-million acre (8,000 km²) drainage operation out of the small town. Wow, historical.....
I think that Mr. Flagler, Mr. Hemmingway, Mr. Armstrong, Senator Glenn, and many others would disagree that there is no history in Florida. I'm sure that members of the Seminole Nation, Alonzo Rollins, the many men who fought in the US Civil War, and the Spanish Fleet of 1715 would all seem to think that there was quite a bit of history here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 01:09 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
Winter Park has lots of history; long before Disney!

Winter Park History

Old 01-20-2009, 07:43 PM

986 posts, read 3,550,430 times
I took a look at this website, and while Winter Park is quite old, relatively speaking the site shows nothing of historical significance apart from some old buildings, gardens and pictures of people and buildings back in the late 1800-1930s.

But it strikes me very few people are interested in History here. College Park is another example of an old area with old buildings, but what happened, a great number of the homes were demolished to make way for new condos and townhomes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
Winter Park has lots of history; long before Disney!

Winter Park History

Old 01-21-2009, 05:05 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,282,442 times
I think this debate about the History of Central Florida would make a great thread on its own. However, this thread is getting a little off topic.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,887 times
Default Excellent

[quote=annerk;7085007]I think that Mr. Flagler, Mr. Hemmingway, Mr. Armstrong, Senator Glenn, and many others would disagree that there is no history in Florida. I'm sure that members of the Seminole Nation, Alonzo Rollins, the many men who fought in the US Civil War, and the Spanish Fleet of 1715 would all seem to think that there was quite a bit of history here.[/quote

That was beautifully put.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:07 AM

77 posts, read 288,019 times
I love Celebration and plan to move there within ten years.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:37 PM

93 posts, read 403,848 times
Everyone mentions high dues, high taxes, etc. Can they be listed so we have an idea of what the extras are?

Old 11-07-2009, 08:19 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
I really like Celebration, that may be my future home lol.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:22 AM

5 posts, read 11,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnw005 View Post
We moved down five years ago from Mass., and were very excited at first, but unfortunately things changed. Little did we know that behind that pretty facade of the white fence and porches, the home we paid way too much for was built by persons that obviously did not have any skills in their trade. We have a sad joke that when day laborers showed up to work, one was assigned the job of electrician and the other plumber, and that has caused us a huge expense correcting. Many of my neighbors echo that feeling. All the wood around the windows and doors rotted, and the A/C needed to be replaced. Oh well, here we be.
I would discourage anyone from moving to this town. Its fine to visit, but not to live, and certainly not to raise children. Mine are grown and off on their own, but I would never have had them go to these public schools.
No culture, history, or sense of place. Yes, if you don't like it why don't you leave....not to worry, that is in the works.
Sorry to sound so negative, just being honest.
I'm from New England and have been a regular visitor to Florida for over 25 years. When Celebration was built I checked it out, took the tour, etc. The overwhelming sense that I got was "they're trying to "imagineer" a New England town." Unfortunately, 300 year old communities cannot be imagineered. Save your money. Rent a place in the sunbelt during the harshest winter months. And, come back home to the real thing in the spring. Dorothy was right. There's no place like home.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:17 AM

385 posts, read 1,403,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfIfan View Post
I think we are realistic and intelligent enough to know that really isnt true. Oh i forgot the declaration of Independence was signed in Winter Park!...lol

Someone once told me before Disney was around and stole their thunder there was a water tower in Winter Garden that people used to come here to see. Now that has huge historical significance doesnt it. I'll arrange coach trip so we can all visit it.

I think as someone who enjoys learning about history, going to museums, art gallaries and the such, that that sort of thing is very light on the ground here. Unless interms of history you enjoy studying swamps. Or the hilliarios sign that says Historic Kissimmee. Kissimmees cliam to fame is that it was originally called Allendale but was renamed in the 1880s when it became incorporated. And its claim to fame/growth can be credited to Hamilton Disston of Philidelphia, who based his two-million acre (8,000 km²) drainage operation out of the small town. Wow, historical.....
What a ridiculously condescending series of statements. Yes, in fact those things are all history, nor are any of them unimportant. The same things could be said about most rural areas (which Central Florida was until recently) anywhere in the country (or the world). Is it not history to you if it doesn't involve wars or important social movements? Most of the real interesting parts of history are local things like the ones you mentioned, and Central Florida has plenty of them. Central Florida was also the departure point for mankind's first journey to another world, hardly a minor footnote in civilization's story.

Florida as a whole has been colonized longer than any other U. S. state, and if you can't find plenty of engaging history hear you simply aren't looking.

-Harry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando