Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:52 AM

18 posts, read 66,194 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to move soon without jobs. I have done this before but she is scared to death hehe. How can I convince her to not be afraid and just have confidence? we have savings to last us a few months and we both are in somewhat high demand jobs. I know most people are like my wife and feel a little scared so it's hard to find people like me who just do it have confidence and wing it so to speak. Please only people who have positive suggestions. I already know the doom and gloom suggestions hehe ...please any advice to say to my wife to make her feel less afraid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 10:53 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
What kind of work do you do?

Old 03-23-2009, 11:22 AM

Truck driver and she a dental hygenist

Old 03-23-2009, 11:33 AM

558 posts, read 1,834,849 times
Your wife is right to be afraid. You will need much more than a couple of months savings to make it here. Do you realize how flooded the job market is with actual residents who have lived here for years and years? Even if you have a high demand career it could still take months to land the job.

I doubt anyone will come on here and say that moving to Orlando without jobs lined up with only a little savings is a good idea. It is a disaster waiting to happen.

Best of luck though (you'll need it)

Last edited by Lakeland Yankee; 03-23-2009 at 12:45 PM..

Old 03-23-2009, 11:37 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
If you've got a clean CDL you'll be able to get something fairly quickly--at $9/hr. I'm not kidding.

Dental hygienist is not a job that's overly in demand around here. If she were an RN, she'd get work immediately, but dental hygienists, not as fast as you think. With people out of work and thus losing insurance, routine dental care is being delayed, so not as much need for hygienists.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:24 PM

631 posts, read 2,450,846 times
I would have to definitely say you wouldn't want to do this. Orlando is a wonderful place but moving here without a job is just a recipe for disaster. I know people who have been out of work a year now in some sectors and I agree with annerk...there is so much competition for truck driving that you would most likely have to take a low wage.

There are some industries that are thriving here and unfortunately neither one of those are. You might want to look into Tampa.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:29 PM

429 posts, read 1,104,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
I would have to definitely say you wouldn't want to do this. Orlando is a wonderful place but moving here without a job is just a recipe for disaster. I know people who have been out of work a year now in some sectors and I agree with annerk...there is so much competition for truck driving that you would most likely have to take a low wage.

There are some industries that are thriving here and unfortunately neither one of those are. You might want to look into Tampa.

what industries would you think that are doing well right now in Orlando??

Old 03-23-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrFlaBound View Post
what industries would you think that are doing well right now in Orlando??
RN, physical therapist, and certified bi-lingual special ed are about the only surefire bets in the Orlando area. Bilingual medical reception would also have strong potential, but the wages are pretty low. ($12/hour or so and requires experience)

Old 03-23-2009, 01:46 PM

Well, I hear ya guys. 9 dollars is not correct. My friend who lives in clermont has told me the going rate is anywhere between 11-16 which is crap but with ot Ill be good. As for my wife, she is a jack of all trades. She could work retail or cust service for awhile for 8 bucks an hour. we manage. I'll let you all know how fast we get jobs.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossball View Post
Well, I hear ya guys. 9 dollars is not correct. My friend who lives in clermont has told me the going rate is anywhere between 11-16 which is crap but with ot Ill be good. As for my wife, she is a jack of all trades. She could work retail or cust service for awhile for 8 bucks an hour. we manage. I'll let you all know how fast we get jobs.
Hate to tell you, but there are very few truck driving jobs paying what your friend is telling you, and most employers are scheduling so there is no O/T.

As far as retail, a JC Penneys just opened in Clermont. Over 3000 application for 150 jobs. Don't count on it being as easy as you think it will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando