Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 10:31 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,123,127 times

Advertisements

I checked directly with the Sheriff's Office on this a little while back and was advised that they also have a database that is supposed to be updated by the insurance companies regularly. However, so I am told, that database is not always updated and not all police cars have the terminal to check it. I would think they could do that over the radio, but who am I to say?

All I know is that impounding a car costly, ineffective and a huge hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
In NJ the insurance is tied in with DMV. As soon as you cancel insurance or let it lapse, the insurance company sends the state notification electronically and it hits the database. So if you get pulled over and have insurance but don't have the card on that, the officer can verify this when they run your tag. In this case they won't impound, just give you a summons for driving without the card, which you can generally get dismissed by showing up in court with the card.

Is it foolproof? Nothing is. But in the nine years I lived there, I never heard of them towing anyone's car who actually did have a valid policy in place. So the incidence of it happening is obviously miniscule. Frankly I'd rather have one person get their car towed erroneously every five years than have some uninsured idiot hit me.

And having had first hand experience with the State of NJ making a huge boo-boo that cost me a lot of time, money and aggravation, I can also say that in the end they made it right.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando