Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 02:15 PM

7 posts, read 61,803 times

Advertisements

So I'm looking for some opinions on moving to FL. Would really like feedback on some really nice communities. Ideally we would love to be in a "green" community, or a master planned community.
A little info....Im originally from Mass., moved to Cali...met husband and we moved back to Mass. Have been here 7 years. We dont like it. I haaaate the cold. My family is here, but really its not enough of a reason to stay. We go to FL about 2-3 times a year and love it. My mom lives in Oviedo and my grandparents in Cocoa. We've been talking about maybe trying to move down there for a couple years- and I think we're finally ready.
Some of the areas we are interested in are Windermere, Oviedo, Dr Phillips, Winter Park and Harmony. We have 2 kids so good schools are a must. As far as jobs, my husband will most likely get a job in Orlando or Cape Canaveral area. I lived in Titusville for a few years and did not like it. We really want to be in a hip area, lots of 30 something yr olds with kids, lots of parks, dog friendly of course, walkable to downtown areas or at least stores. We dont mind driving a bit to get to the beach but would like to be within 45 minutes. Does anyone have any recommendations, or advice good or bad on what areas are good....or just anything in general? Would appreciate it!!!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 02:33 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
Thornton Park, Baldwin Park, College Park, and Delaney Park. The areas you mentioned are also very nice but not very walkable. I think College Park best fits your criteria. Alot of young families there, walkable mainstreet area, lots of parks and lakes.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:37 PM

7 posts, read 61,803 times
Thank you for the info....do you know of any new home builders in those areas?

Old 01-09-2010, 02:42 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
All the areas I listed are all historic older homes except Baldwin Park which is master planned community. Also has all the qualities you are looking for and very good schools. Just google Baldwin Park Orlando and you should be able to get all the info you need.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:31 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I'd suggest that your husband find a job first, then decide where to live. There are a lot of great areas that would fit your needs, but some are way to far to travel to Cape Canavarale.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:26 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,147,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Thornton Park, Baldwin Park, College Park, and Delaney Park. The areas you mentioned are also very nice but not very walkable. I think College Park best fits your criteria. Alot of young families there, walkable mainstreet area, lots of parks and lakes.
All Gorgeous area's I'd recommend, but none except Baldwin is a master planned community that I think you where looking for. If your husband does end up working out at the cape the commute would also be pretty bad from these area's.

Definitely check out the lake nona area, Master planned, lots of new homes, VERY walkable in the Northlake Park community in particular with tons of families and highly rated schools. The cherry on top is if working at the cape, you can just hop on the 528 and have a straight highway drive with relatively little traffic.

If working in orlando, there are just too many area's to mention and it will really depend on what kind of proximity you needed and other factors you like or dislike. Each area has it's own feel and amenities. The area's you mentioned are a great start though, to add in Winter Springs and Lake Mary as well (don't know about harmony though, never been there)

Old 01-09-2010, 07:35 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theruoccos View Post
So I'm looking for some opinions on moving to FL. Would really like feedback on some really nice communities. Ideally we would love to be in a "green" community, or a master planned community.
A little info....Im originally from Mass., moved to Cali...met husband and we moved back to Mass. Have been here 7 years. We dont like it. I haaaate the cold. My family is here, but really its not enough of a reason to stay. We go to FL about 2-3 times a year and love it. My mom lives in Oviedo and my grandparents in Cocoa. We've been talking about maybe trying to move down there for a couple years- and I think we're finally ready.
Some of the areas we are interested in are Windermere, Oviedo, Dr Phillips, Winter Park and Harmony. We have 2 kids so good schools are a must. As far as jobs, my husband will most likely get a job in Orlando or Cape Canaveral area. I lived in Titusville for a few years and did not like it. We really want to be in a hip area, lots of 30 something yr olds with kids, lots of parks, dog friendly of course, walkable to downtown areas or at least stores. We dont mind driving a bit to get to the beach but would like to be within 45 minutes. Does anyone have any recommendations, or advice good or bad on what areas are good....or just anything in general? Would appreciate it!!!! Thanks
im oringally from connecticut. you may want to try the hunter;s creek area. it is a very nice master planned community with a golf course, family friendly nad is very safe to live in. good luck to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando