Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 05:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,630 times

Advertisements

Lived in Michigan my whole life, have a wonderful family and a supportive wife. Have a stable career in corrections. The issue at hand is, Do I move my family out of this desolate place to central Florida? I have many career opportunities in Corrections in Florida. Darn near everyone I know has lost there job due to the economy and automakers. My wife has not had a job in 3 yrs. Even my ex-wifes lucrative career was just eliminated. The State as a whole seams to be shutting down. I fear for my children's future! There does not seem to be any impending turn around soon. My area of Michigan has an unemployment rate of 20+%. Is it right for us to move to an area we have visited several times, and love? I know the economy in the Orlando area is not the best right now, but nationwide everything sucks. I would hope that Florida as a whole would rebound much sooner than this state. I also know that not every job in the Orlando area is high paying, but the prospect of future employment for my family is important. What can I expect if or when I move? Also, corrections is not considered a high paying job, so picking the right affordable area seems imperative. Is it possible to buy one of these foreclosed homes for cash a viable option, or am I just living in a fantasy world. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 07:14 AM

43 posts, read 113,972 times
Moving to Florida isn't a bad idea if you have a job lined up. Do you want to live in a big city like Orlando or would you consider other parts of the state? There are prisons in Florida in smaller towns with lower cost of living that might make it much easier for you. One thing that kept me in Florida after my first husband died was knowing that my kids (assuming they got the grades) could go to college free through the lottery's scholarship program. I knew that would be hard for me to provide if we had moved back to my home in MO. I currently live in the panhandle and there is a prison close to Milton, FL, a small town where you can find a house for under 100K. Its also only 30 min to the beautiful beaches at Navarre Beach or Pensacola Beach. We are a good 7-8 hours from the mouse though if thats the appeal.

Just an idea, good luck with your search!

Old 01-13-2010, 10:33 AM

793 posts, read 2,524,912 times
Cash is King!

I know the job market in Florida just like the rest of the Country is down and if we tighten our belts it will come back. I think the car companies missed the boat many years ago and will never return to the employment levels areas that depended on them need. This is due to product produced in the past, automation and the current economy.

It is best to think of Family first and if you can find a job and can meet your financial obligations well who can knock Florida but don't forget Virginia, hear things are doing well there.

Hope this helps,

Old 01-13-2010, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,630 times
Ok dave but what gives with some of these home prices. Seem to be awfully cheap in some areas for a newer contemporary style house. Granted, I dont know the areas personally, but seems like a good deal. Being in the real estate business, could you give some insight? thanks for the help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando