Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 08:07 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Due to my allergies, this time of the year I use the A/C instead of opening windows until the pollen count drops. So yes, mine has been running as needed for several weeks now, usually in the later afternoon when the sun is baking the huge windows in teh front of the house.
Yep, me too...after the second antibiotic....three days after coming off the first one, due to allergies and sinus infections...I had to shut the place up. It was so depressing as it was so nice out. I just couldn't take the pollens and stay healthy. I still think it is nice out. I was out planting this afternoon after work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 07:47 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
He could get electrocuted.
No such luck....oh I'm kidding!

He's chewed thru the DirectTV wires, the phone wires and this is the 2nd time for the A/C wires.

I sure hope he's done with this chewing thing soon!

And yes he has plenty of chew toys available to him.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:13 PM

848 posts, read 1,953,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post

Anybody else turned on their a/c this year yet?
I was shocked to see this question! I've had my AC on for a month.

This heat just doesn't agree with me. I LOVED the cold winter.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:14 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
I was shocked to see this question! I've had my AC on for a month.

This heat just doesn't agree with me. I LOVED the cold winter.
perhaps you should try living in connecticut for a few years and then we'll see how you like cold winters lol

Old 04-24-2010, 06:45 AM

561 posts, read 1,923,205 times
Quote:
perhaps you should try living in Connecticut for a few years and then we'll see how you like cold winters lol

I recently moved back here to Connecticut.

Having spent 26+ winters in CT, and 7 years in FL..... I am thrilled to be back to 4 distinct seasons. Yes even the mild to moderate winters here. I'll take a CT winter over a Michigan, Illinois, or Ohio winter all day long. Just as I would also rather go through winter in CT than a Florida "Spring", Summer, and\or "Fall".

I had my heat on last night because it was in the 30's. But I couldn't care less as I'm sleeping during the overnight hours anyway. Today is supposed to be around 70. There was a frost on the ground when I woke up and it felt great to go outside with my coffee and hear all the birds chirping and smell "spring in the air". I never knew how much I missed that smell.

I had my A\C running just 1 month ago when I was is FL. If I was still there I would be mentally preparing myself for the next 8 months of living in an artificial environment of air conditioning. Plus sweating from home to car and car to work, etc...

However, now that I'm home, I am relishing in the fact that from now through November, (for the most part), I can open my windows throughout the day and actually enjoy the outdoors without feeling like I am trapped in a sauna.

When I think about the stark difference in weather between the 2 states and how I personally adapted and lived in both, I just shake my head. I am literally flip flopping back to my comfort zone in going from 8 months of blazing sun, heat and humidity to the array of 9 months of gorgeous, comfortable, to very tolerable weather. The 9th month here being December. While it is cold and snows, I wouldn't want to spend the Christmas season any other way. JMHO.

This time when I need a break from the months of Jan-March, I will take a vacation to somewhere warmer instead.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:35 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post

Having spent 26+ winters in CT, and 7 years in FL..... I am thrilled to be back to 4 distinct seasons. Yes even the mild to moderate winters here. I'll take a CT winter over a Michigan, Illinois, or Ohio winter all day long. Just as I would also rather go through winter in CT than a Florida "Spring", Summer, and\or "Fall".

I had my heat on last night because it was in the 30's. But I couldn't care less as I'm sleeping during the overnight hours anyway. Today is supposed to be around 70. There was a frost on the ground when I woke up and it felt great to go outside with my coffee and hear all the birds chirping and smell "spring in the air". I never knew how much I missed that smell.

I had my A\C running just 1 month ago when I was is FL. If I was still there I would be mentally preparing myself for the next 8 months of living in an artificial environment of air conditioning. Plus sweating from home to car and car to work, etc...

However, now that I'm home, I am relishing in the fact that from now through November, (for the most part), I can open my windows throughout the day and actually enjoy the outdoors without feeling like I am trapped in a sauna.

When I think about the stark difference in weather between the 2 states and how I personally adapted and lived in both, I just shake my head. I am literally flip flopping back to my comfort zone in going from 8 months of blazing sun, heat and humidity to the array of 9 months of gorgeous, comfortable, to very tolerable weather. The 9th month here being December. While it is cold and snows, I wouldn't want to spend the Christmas season any other way. JMHO.

This time when I need a break from the months of Jan-March, I will take a vacation to somewhere warmer instead.
Glad to see you are happy in Connecticut, what part are you in? I am from Waterbury, and I have also lived in Meriden and Naugatuck.

To me Connecticut has 6 months of tolerable weather April-September, and I might even say less then that. While I did like waking up in the springtime and smelling "spring" in the air, I would walk to school and I hated it if the temperature in the morning was below 50. It rains way too much in CT (rains too much in FL too but thats besides the point)

I still have a lot of relatives in Connecticut who live in New Milford. I'd love to go visit them, as the area they live in is very scenic especially in the fall. Route 202 in Litchfield County is GORGEOUS at that time of year. But I could never go back to live there. I hated living there for the most part

IMHO the people there had very bad attitudes and a lot of people in Naugatuck where I went to high school for my freshman and sophomore years were alcoholics, druggies, or were just plain down on themselves, and a lot of folks in Connecticut had awful attitudes

I've met several folks from Connecticut living here in Florida and they were all pretty nice people.

But I am over Orlando now and will be moving on to Las Vegas, NV in the desert real soon. Not to say I dont like Orlando, Im ready for something different and for me that is in Vegas.

Have a nice day markhunt! Glad you're happy to be home in CT

Old 04-24-2010, 09:36 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post

You are the opposite of me. I think the 8 months from october to may are beautiful here. Within those months it can get as warm as the 80s and as cold as the 30s and 20s. But it rarely gets into the mid 90s with high humidity like it does from july-sept. And during the summer months I take advantage of the FL beaches, springs, water parks, etc. and usually go on a summer vacation to NY to visit family. Even though it does feel very hot here in the summer, it isn't that bad for me, I would take that over freezing temps anyday. I think most people (outside of C-D) feel the same way. If you go to a park here during the summer it is packed with people, if you go to a park during the winter up north its dead, if it isn't closed.

Also I think its natural that warmer enviroments are more livable than colder. Even during brutal summers you see all kinds of animals out and about, but in brutal winters you see no signs of life, even the trees look dead.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Glad to see you are happy in Connecticut, what part are you in? I am from Waterbury, and I have also lived in Meriden and Naugatuck.

To me Connecticut has 6 months of tolerable weather April-September, and I might even say less then that. While I did like waking up in the springtime and smelling "spring" in the air, I would walk to school and I hated it if the temperature in the morning was below 50. It rains way too much in CT (rains too much in FL too but thats besides the point)

I still have a lot of relatives in Connecticut who live in New Milford. I'd love to go visit them, as the area they live in is very scenic especially in the fall. Route 202 in Litchfield County is GORGEOUS at that time of year. But I could never go back to live there. I hated living there for the most part

IMHO the people there had very bad attitudes and a lot of people in Naugatuck where I went to high school for my freshman and sophomore years were alcoholics, druggies, or were just plain down on themselves, and a lot of folks in Connecticut had awful attitudes

I've met several folks from Connecticut living here in Florida and they were all pretty nice people.

But I am over Orlando now and will be moving on to Las Vegas, NV in the desert real soon. Not to say I dont like Orlando, Im ready for something different and for me that is in Vegas.

Have a nice day markhunt! Glad you're happy to be home in CT
I've got family and friends all over CT. Some are in Waterbury, Naugatuck, and New Milford. I wouldn't want to raise my family in any of those towns though. You are correct about rampant drug use in Naugatuck. Especially Heroin and alcohol these days.

The thing with CT is if you can afford it, there is a very high quality of life to be had here for raising a family. If you can't afford it, CT can be one of the most depressing places in the country to live. Mostly "Have", and "Have Nots", here. Not too much in between. I think CT is pretty close to (if not #1), for having the biggest gap between the rich and the poor of all states. Just look at places like Greenwich and New Canaan. Then look at New Haven and Hartford.

I won't lie, this is one of the reasons I am happy to be back here. I like the fact that all 169 towns and cities here are incorporated and individual with no county government.

Good luck with your move in NV. Explore all you can now while your young. You never know, if you ever start a family of your own you may think about returning to CT.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
If you go to a park here during the summer it is packed with people, if you go to a park during the winter up north its dead, if it isn't closed.
There usually isn't the sheer number of people at parks in CT like there is in FL no matter what season (thank goodness for that).

Many outdoor parks are not dead during the winter though. They don't have the traffic like they do when it's warmer, but there are many who go sledding, ice skating on ponds\lakes, fishing, ice hockey, snowmobiling, etc... But right now things are bustling up here. And will remain like this until November.

Quote:
Even though it does feel very hot here in the summer, it isn't that bad for me, I would take that over freezing temps anyday. I think most people (outside of C-D) feel the same way.
I would disagree that most people feel the same way. If it wasn't for air conditioning, I don't think the population down there would be one quarter of what it is today.

Quote:
Also I think its natural that warmer environments are more livable than colder. Even during brutal summers you see all kinds of animals out and about, but in brutal winters you see no signs of life, even the trees look dead.

Are we talking humans or animals? And brutal is not how I would describe winter in CT. Syracuse NY I would say has brutal winters.

In any event, I would rather lose power in the middle of February in CT than go without power in August in FL. And I have experienced both. Back in 2003 when hurricane Charley hit, was the most uncomfortable I have ever been. Having to deal with the heat and humidity without the AC for days was simply disgusting. It's much easier for me to layer up with clothes and blankets to feel warm.

But, to each his\her own.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:20 PM

848 posts, read 1,953,012 times
Quote:
perhaps you should try living in connecticut for a few years and then we'll see how you like cold winters lol
I'm from Chicago so I'm no stranger to cold. Either extreme is ugly, although getting around in a snowstorm is a PITA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando