Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:09 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times

Advertisements

Up until about 2 days ago, the weather was pretty sunny and some days very warm

We had run our a/c for a few of those days, as the upstairs got extremely hot. My bedroom is the hottest (in January it was the coldest)

I tried to drive with the windows down and enjoy the warmer weather, but on a few days I rolled up the windows and cranked the a/c on in the car

Anybody else turned on their a/c this year yet?

I hear this is gonna be one of the hottest summers in history (right after the coldest winter go figure ) So this will give OUC and Progress Energy will really have a chance to cash in this summer if the forecast rings true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 10:28 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,060,777 times
Yes but I live in a pretty cheap apartment with horrible insulation and door fixtures. It gets incredibly cold in the Winter and incredibly hot every other day. I don't have central heating or a/c.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Yes but I live in a pretty cheap apartment with horrible insulation and door fixtures. It gets incredibly cold in the Winter and incredibly hot every other day. I don't have central heating or a/c.
Geez, was your apartment built in the 50s or something?

Old 04-19-2010, 11:19 PM

331 posts, read 1,052,510 times
I have had the AC on in my home for a while already. We turn the air off if we are not there during the day but it can easily get up to 78-79 degrees in my home during the day. Today it was at 75 but there was no sun. I usually turn the air down to about 72 during the night time but if it is a cool night outside the AC knows not go on. I live upstairs and it is always hotter than the downstairs, not sure why that is.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehB33nz View Post
I have had the AC on in my home for a while already. We turn the air off if we are not there during the day but it can easily get up to 78-79 degrees in my home during the day. Today it was at 75 but there was no sun. I usually turn the air down to about 72 during the night time but if it is a cool night outside the AC knows not go on. I live upstairs and it is always hotter than the downstairs, not sure why that is.
simple physics, heat rises, cool air sinks

the high rise project in the bronx are a LOT warmer on the higher floors then on the lower ones in summer. thank God i do not live there

then in turn when winter comes the downstairs will be cooler and upstairs will be warmer

the only time that second law does not apply is at my house where my upstairs room was always cooler then the rest of the house in winter. not sure why on that one

Old 04-20-2010, 04:46 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,060,777 times
The single biggest factor I'm aware of is position in relationship to exterior walls and the sun.

Other factors are where the A/C is located, the vent/duct placement, floor insulation especially if you have an attic/crawlspace, vaulted ceilings, and the rooms position in relationship to exterior walls. For example a lot of homes here in Florida have nice high ceilings on the first floor. That gives hot air a place to go. Upstairs rooms are closer to the ceiling and that will trap in much of the hot air. If it is significantly different you should look into better insulation in your floors and walls as well as the HVAC. Ideally in modern apartments air should be fairly consistent throughout the house.

Interestingly enough new technology is giving us better heating through the floor board. Not that it really pertains to us in Florida very often. Underfloor heating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And yes DavieJ it is very old.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:24 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Due to my allergies, this time of the year I use the A/C instead of opening windows until the pollen count drops. So yes, mine has been running as needed for several weeks now, usually in the later afternoon when the sun is baking the huge windows in teh front of the house.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:36 AM

428 posts, read 1,083,210 times
We have the windows open wide all day and like the fresh air.
The house goes up to around 79 and then cools down at night to about 68.
Love this weather.
Keep it coming.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:47 AM

71 posts, read 178,502 times
Call me crazy, but my AC is on all the time, but I set the temps accordingly. Generally during the day it's at 80 (no one home), afternoon/evening at 78 and at night down to 76.

It's turning on the heat in winter time that always gets me as being "wrong"

Old 04-20-2010, 02:42 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
We started about 1 month ago. My Dh and kids like it on. If it were up to me, it would be windows open, no A/C. Some nights we put the fan in the window which I much prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando