Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 05:32 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,304 times

Advertisements

Hey all. Today's a pretty lame day so far.

Today's Question(s):

This subject came up at dinner the other night, so I thought it would be interesting to see what is done in different parts of the country

Is it customary in your area to tip for the following:

Furniture delivery ?
I don't think it's come up, but I know we wouldn't.
Appliance delivery & set up ? Nope.
Moving men ? Generally not.
Coffee shop counter service ? Maybe, probably, but it's not guaranteed.

In my opinion, you don't deserve a tip just cause you're doing your job. Maybe, just maybe, if you were crazy helpful or something. But the only people I really see "deserving" it, is waiters/waitresses cause they make less than minimum wage. Even then, I don't owe you anything, so you better be pleasant and be grateful for what you do get.

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time the power went out at your home ?
Maybe a week or two back when we had some big storms, it was only for like a second though.
When this happens do you use flashlights or candles ?
Flashlights.

Bonus Question:

How many hours of daylight do you have each day ?
Like 16-17 hours.

Just for Fun:

On this "First day of Summer" - what is your expected high temperature ?
It was supposed to be 87, it ended being like 95ish and up. -_-
Is there one "souvenir" you always buy when on a trip ?
Nothing I'd get on every one, maybe a new stuffed animal or a small toy or doll or something when I was a lil younger.
Who was the last person you shared a handshake with ?
I have no idea. I'm sure I've had one since this, but you have to shake people's hands at graduation, which was 2 years ago in 4 days now lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 06:05 PM

604 posts, read 856,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Anyone know who "SK" is?
That'd be me.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:16 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,346,590 times
HAPPY 1ST DAY OF SUMMER KARLA!! it's 90's here ALL WEEK IN NJ! Heatwave!!
Today's Question(s):
This subject came up at dinner the other night, so I thought it would be interesting to see what is done in different parts of the country

Furniture delivery ?x
Appliance delivery & set up ? hub sets them up! He reminds me of Michelin Man LOL
Moving men ? x
Coffee shop counter service ? x I don't drink coffee LOL

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time the power went out at your home ? AS A MATTER OF FACT! CABLE/TV/INTERNET WENT OUT FOR 3 HOURS! While out!! Did I mention I hate Comcast? Perfectly sunny day. No wind, rain or foul weather! but technically not the electric!

When this happens do you use flashlights or candles ? yes! If I am home alone-candles.... if I see a thunderstorm coming I run for candles LOL. We have been lucky in that respect. Not many power outages for outages..we have the underground buried cables. Flashlights too!!

Bonus Question:

How many hours of daylight do you have each day ? It
s still light at 8:14p right now!

Just for Fun:

On this "First day of Summer" - what is your expected high temperature ? 90! in Joisey!

Is there one "souvenir" you always buy when on a trip ? t-shirts?

Who was the last person you shared a handshake with ? Peace in church!

Today is:
National Peaches and Cream Day
First Day of Summer
Dr. Pepper Day
Go Skateboarding Day I used to love it as a kid!
Baby Boomer's Recognition Day
World Handshake Day (then reach for the hand sanitizer!)
Daylight Appreciation Day[/quote]

Old 06-21-2010, 06:35 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,361,498 times

Furniture delivery ?
Appliance delivery & set up ?
Moving men ?
Coffee shop counter service ?

No to all of the above.

When was the last time the power went out at your home ? Months ago during a snowstorm.

When this happens do you use flashlights or candles ? Both.

How many hours of daylight do you have each day ? About 16 or so.

On this "First day of Summer" - what is your expected high temperature ? 74 with scattered thunderstorms.

Is there one "souvenir" you always buy when on a trip ? Not really. Although I do love books about the places I go, and artwork.

Who was the last person you shared a handshake with ? The owner of the local Harley Davidson dealership.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:41 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,224,103 times
Today's Question(s):

Furniture delivery ? Ummm...I've never tipped furniture or appliance delivery guys. Oops
Appliance delivery & set up ?
Moving men ? Never hired moving men
Coffee shop counter service ? I've done this before

Extra Credit Question:
When was the last time the power went out at your home ? It's been quite some time and I can't remember.
When this happens do you use flashlights or candles ? Candles
Bonus Question:

How many hours of daylight do you have each day ? I'd say about 14 but that isn't all "bright" daylight
Just for Fun:
On this "First day of Summer" - what is your expected high temperature ? 80's
Is there one "souvenir" you always buy when on a trip ? I used to buy refrigerator magnets
Who was the last person you shared a handshake with ? Ummm...I shook hands the other day and I can't recall with who!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:24 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
I have no idea what is customary about tipping here.
Power went out a few years ago, I just went shopping.
We have about 14 hours daylight.
We got up to 95 today, heat index was about 105, right now heat index is 98 I HATE summer!!!!!!!!!
I always buy a t shirt when we go to NC
I shook hands with the new guy at work today.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:40 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
That'd be me.
Well, howdy-doody......I tried and tried to figure that out but I guess I didn't go far back enough into the posts to connect the dots (or initials)

BTW, Nomadicus had to help me out....he's quick on the draw.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:20 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times

Furniture delivery ? I don't know if it is customary, but I didn't myself.
Appliance delivery & set up ? I didn't.
Moving men ? Have never used moving men, but did pay a guy that helped me move some things once.
Coffee shop counter service ? Yes, people do tip for this around here.

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time the power went out at your home ? Funny you ask, last night for around 15 minutes.

When this happens do you use flashlights or candles ? I was asleep, so I just waited until it came on. If the kids were awake we would use flashlights. If the power was going to be out a very long time, I have an oil lamp.

Bonus Question:

How many hours of daylight do you have each day ? Of course yesterday was the longest day of the year. It is turning light here around 5 am and dark around 10 pm, so 17 hours of daylight, that is a lot!

Just for Fun:

On this "First day of Summer" - what is your expected high temperature ? 60's and rain.

Is there one "souvenir" you always buy when on a trip ? Usually t-shirts for my children, and a freezer magnet for me.

Who was the last person you shared a handshake with ? 3 days ago when I met someone for the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics