Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:13 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,956,931 times

Advertisements

It's Baby Boomer's Recognition Day. LOL, is that when we're supposed to look at old yearbooks? When I look at the high school photos of my baby boomer friends I barely recognize 'em at all!

Today's Question(s):

This subject came up at dinner the other night, so I thought it would be interesting to see what is done in different parts of the country

Is it customary in your area to tip for the following:

Furniture delivery ?
Appliance delivery & set up ?
Moving men ?
Coffee shop counter service ?

I usually give them something to eat and drink. I used to give them each a beer but that's frown ed on by most companies these days. I do tip people who carry heavy things (if the appliance is a refrigerator, for example).

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time the power went out at your home ?

Last December.

When this happens do you use flashlights or candles ?

I prefer flashlights. But we did light a few candles. Glad to finally have a use for them. People are always giving them to me as gifts and I have some that are more thana decade old that have still never been lit.

Bonus Question:

How many hours of daylight do you have each day ?

Lots and lots today!

Just for Fun:

On this "First day of Summer" - what is your expected high temperature ?

It'll be a perfect 72 degrees at the library, that's where I'm headed.

Is there one "souvenir" you always buy when on a trip ?

We try to get a Christmas tree ornament. Or find something that would look interesting hanging on the tree.

Who was the last person you shared a handshake with ?
A client came over to pick up a big job on Friday and shook everyone's hand. Even mine and I don't officially work there anymore, I was just hanging out to help get the job done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 07:36 AM

18,221 posts, read 25,868,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Good morning everyone
Happy Monday
Happy first day of summer

Though from what I have seen it seems like "summer temps" have been visiting many of the QOTD family for awhile already

Today's Question(s):

This subject came up at dinner the other night, so I thought it would be interesting to see what is done in different parts of the country

Furniture delivery ? no
Appliance delivery & set up ? no
Moving men ? no
Coffee shop counter service ? yes

Like Normie, I'll fix them up with a six pack of pop.
Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time the power went out at your home ? five days ago, had some 50 mile an hour winds and knocked out power in my area for maybe a half hour.

When this happens do you use flashlights or candles ? flashlights

Bonus Question:

How many hours of daylight do you have each day ? I'm guessing 15 hours a day right now. The sun rises around 5:30 a.m. and sets around 9 p.m.

Just for Fun:

On this "First day of Summer" - what is your expected high temperature ? 90 degrees today!

Is there one "souvenir" you always buy when on a trip ? refrigerator magnets, if none could be bought I'll get a postcard.

Who was the last person you shared a handshake with ? The guy who installed my tape deck a couple days ago. I had an electrical short in the jeep, he tracked it down and didn't charge me for it. Now I got tunes in the Jeep again-yipee!!

Today in History:
1768 - 1st U.S. bachelor of medicine degree, Dr. John Archer
1857 - In Waco, Texas, a young pharmacist called Charles Alderton invented the soft drink "Dr Pepper"not a big fan but every now and then Dr. pepper is good.
1879 - F. W. Woolworth opens 1st store
1893 - 1st Ferris wheel premieres at Chicago's Columbian Exposition
1948 - 33 1/3 RPM LP record introduced (DR Peter Goldmark-Columbia Records) yay! Vinyl-YESS!!!
1975 - "Jaws" by Steven Spielberg opens
1978 - Andrew Lloyd Webber and Rice's musical "Evita," premiers in London

Word of the Day:
tutelary \TOO-tuh-lair-ee; TYOO-\ , adjective:
Having the guardianship or charge of protecting a person or a thing;

Today is:
National Peaches and Cream Dayyummo!
First Day of Summer
Dr. Pepper Day
Go Skateboarding DayHad one when I was a kid- when I bought my first one that same day I also bought the Jan and Dean 45 "Sidewalk Surfin""
Baby Boomer's Recognition Day
World Handshake Day
Daylight Appreciation Day
Have a great day everyone!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:48 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,136,400 times
Today's Question(s):

Furniture delivery ?
No.
Appliance delivery & set up ? No.
Moving men ? Yes.

Coffee shop counter service ? Yes, a nice tip!

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time the power went out at your home ? I don't know....I guess about 7 weeks ago.

When this happens do you use flashlights or candles ? Candles should be outlawed. I almost spit my coffee all over my keyboard and monitor when I read the question. It's truly a no-brainer, to me...that's how "anti-candle" I am.

Bonus Question:

How many hours of daylight do you have each day ? I'm in Lake Worth, Florida. Do me a favor and go Bing it if ya really wanna know

Just for Fun:

On this "First day of Summer" - what is your expected high temperature ? "Near 90".

Is there one "souvenir" you always buy when on a trip ? I don't get any "trip" or "vacation". BUT (!) if I did, I would opt for coffee mugs,

ah reckon.

Who was the last person you shared a handshake with ? This dirtbag that my neighbor had over here. What an annoying loudmouth.

I shouldn't have done the handshake...it was one of those situations where their hand was put out at you and you didn't have a chance to think. Handshakes are among the dumbest thing mankind has going.
Filthy tradition. Fact is, anyone shakes my hand - I wash my hands ASAP!

And now for the daily fodder, which is better than yesterday's.....
Today in History:

1857 - In Waco, Texas, a young pharmacist called Charles Alderton invented the soft drink "Dr Pepper"
1948 - 33 1/3 RPM LP record introduced (DR Peter Goldmark-Columbia Records)

Word of the Day:

Today is:
National Peaches and Cream Day
First Day of Summer
Dr. Pepper Day
Go Skateboarding Day
World Handshake Day
Daylight Appreciation Day

Old 06-21-2010, 07:54 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,676,862 times
Today's Question(s):

Furniture delivery ?
Appliance delivery & set up ? I always do my own. Sometimes, when I'm done, Mrs D will
Moving men ? Never used one
Coffee shop counter service ? I take my change to the bank if I want it counted. I don't tip them.

Extra Credit Question:

Anything longer than a blink has been several years.

I fire up the generator. It's a left over from racing days but big enough to keep some lights and the refrigerator running

Bonus Question:

It's usually light from sunup to sundown.

Just for Fun:

On this "First day of Summer" - what is your expected high temperature ? 85F

I don't buy souvenirs

"The Duck", an old friend from my days as a race chaplain. He just recently came out of retirement and started driving again.

Today in History:
1857 - In Waco, Texas, a young pharmacist called Charles Alderton invented the soft drink "Dr Pepper"
1948 - 33 1/3 RPM LP record introduced (DR Peter Goldmark-Columbia Records)

Word of the Day:

Today is:
National Peaches and Cream Day
First Day of Summer
Dr. Pepper Day
Go Skateboarding Day
World Handshake Day
Daylight Appreciation Day In the interest of fairness

YouTube - Neil Diamond - Thank The Lord For The Night Time

Old 06-21-2010, 08:07 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,609,085 times

Today's Question(s):

Furniture delivery ?
Moving men ?
Coffee shop counter service ?

I have no idea what's customary. I have tipped moving men, but not appliance or furniture delivery guys. I used to tip the coffee baristas, but I stopped when I found out they don't get to keep the tips... only a small portion, and it gets divided up between everyone working that day.

Extra Credit Question:

A couple months ago.
It's the weirdest thing! Maybe someone can tell me what it is. It's happened twice since we've been here. There's a big THUMP, but not like an explosion, just like something enormous fell on the ground, and then you can hear the electricity shutting down. Like in a movie. It stayed out about a half hour each time and then came back on. No wind, no rain.

Flashlights

Bonus Question:

No idea

Just for Fun:

91*

No

Someone at church.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:20 AM

542 posts, read 588,596 times
Today's Question(s):

Furniture delivery ?
Moving men ?
Coffee shop counter service ? I've seen tip jars at coffee shops, so yes for this one.

Extra Credit Question:

When this happens do you use flashlights or candles ? Both

Bonus Question:

How many hours of daylight do you have each day ? Around 15 - 16 hours this time of year

Just for Fun:

On this "First day of Summer" - what is your expected high temperature ? A pathetic 61 degrees (yesterday it was only 56 )

Is there one "souvenir" you always buy when on a trip ? Nope

Who was the last person you shared a handshake with ? I don't remember (I'm not always good at remembering names right away)

Old 06-21-2010, 08:27 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Furniture delivery ?
No.
Appliance delivery & set up ? No.
Moving men ? Yes.
Coffee shop counter service ? Yes.

Extra Credit Question:

Sometime over the winter. Brrrr. It was out for about 12 hours.
Flashlights.

Bonus Question:

Not enough ... or at least not enough at the times I want daylight. Who thought it was a good idea for it to get light before 5 a.m.? I want my daylight in the evenings.

Just for Fun:

93. Ugh.

Is there one "souvenir" you always buy when on a trip ? Local wine or beer.

Who was the last person you shared a handshake with ? My boss' wife.

And now ... off to get a Dr Pepper out of the vending machine ...

Old 06-21-2010, 08:29 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,597,424 times
Morning
Today's Question(s):

Furniture delivery ? Optional...I guess if you have coin burning in your pockets or a milkman type situation
Appliance delivery & set up ? See above.
Moving men ? If you want good service...and even then
Coffee shop counter service ? I would think so Been ages since I sat at a counter.

Extra Credit Question:

I don't remember exactly, but it was very short lived.

Either or I suppose

Bonus Question:

Your guess is as good as mine

Just for Fun:

On this "First day of Summer" - what is your expected high temperature ? 78 with 84% humidity and chance of rain.

Is there one "souvenir" you always buy when on a trip ? I seem to pick up shot glasses.

Who was the last person you shared a handshake with ? A car salesman.

Have a good Monday all!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:47 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,452,289 times
Default Summer Solstice

First Day of Summer.

The memories just flood through my head. I try to relish them, instead of thinking about this truly awful heat and humidity. Highs in the upper 90s (I don't even wanna know what the weatherman says 'feels like!')

My poor plants, in pots, and in the ground just wilt in the heat of the day -- even the ones that aren't supposed to -- and my herbs are 'drying' and the poor fescue is suffering. MR Rdslots and I have discussed changing-out the fescue in the yard for zoysia just so it won't dry and burn in the heat of the Summer. It's not been made official in any gardening references I've seen, but we can't possibly still be Zone 7 where I live here in NC.

Even the water in the neighborhood pool has felt less cool-and-refreshing, and more like a tub drawn for an evening's bath.

May not be customary in my area to tip for such, but I always hand the deliverymen just a little something when they show up with furniture, appliance(s) or the like. I also tip the moving men, just because having moved myself several times, I know how HARD the job is, and the toll it has to take on their bodies -- even if they are developing handsome arm and legs muscles and abs. In the coffee shop, I will tip for counter service, particularly if it is very, very busy, and I have asked for something special, or more than the usual.

I have NO idea what the going rate is, but I try to cover a lunch, or reasonable dinner for the movers, and I always have bottled water and Gatorade on-hand. Many times, I will fix sandwiches for us all. I never think it hurts to put yourself in another's place, and ask what you might appreciate, yourself. By contrast, I never tip poor service, or because someone wants to make me feel like it's expected. It took me some time to get to an age where I felt comfortable enough not leaving a tip, however, and just a bit more time to the point now where I can explain why I am not leaving a tip -- the explanation is delivered either to the person, or to a manager.

Aarrghh, but just recently the power went out at here at the house.
It's not so much the inconvenience of having no power, as much as it is having the smoke alarms, and the like, beep!beep!, which sets the terrier to barking his fool head off. And then, the pain-in-the-behind of setting all of the clocks on the appliances, waiting for the tv to re-boot, etc.

Whether I use flashlights or candles depends largely upon the time of day the power goes out, or the time of the year, and what I may have been in the middle of.
I generally rely upon candles, and have them tucked in drawers all around the house. I am not particularly dependable when it comes to keeping batteries on-hand, and changing them out in my flashlights. Good intentions, I have, but not too good in the Follow Through Department. The difficulty with the candles is that some people, who will go UNnamed here, will take the matches out of the drawers, and there I am with candles and NO way to light one.

How many hours of daylight do I have each day ?
Hmm, seems sun-up is around 5:00 most mornings now, and we have been able to stay outdoors, poolside, until almost 9:00 p.m. So, math wizards, help me here: how many hours is that? Nine to nine would make twelve, so what? maybe sixteen hours all total? Sheesh, but is that possible?

This is so NOT Just for Fun
: "First Day of Summer" high in the upper 90s (97, I think) with unbearable humidity, and dew factor in the 70s. I have always pondered how the humidity can be in the 90s, and it NOT be raining? Can someone 'splain that to me?!In terms that I can comprehend, please?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:49 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,920,209 times
Good morning all! I've had my head down all morning trying to plow through the issues on my desk and I've hardly made a dent! So, it's time for a QOTD break!

Today's Question(s):

Furniture delivery ? I don't know, so I give them a few $$$ for lunch / cold drinks.
Appliance delivery & set up ? Ditto
Moving men ? I did tip our last ones and bought pizza / sodas
Coffee shop counter service ? Eat-in, yes. Take-out, NO

Extra Credit Question:

A few weeks ago we lost power for about 20 minutes. The only reason I knew about it is that I had to reset all of the electronic clocks, etc when I got home that day.

Only if it's dark!

Bonus Question:

I think it's about 14 right now???

Just for Fun:

We're due t hit 95 again. Today is the 9th or 10th 90+ degree day in a row. Woohoo!

It used to be a refrigerator magnet from each place we went with our RV and we kept them on the range hood in the camper. Now we don't bother.

Last night. We met one of the residents in the neighborhood where we're looking to build our next (smaller) house. Had a long chat with them about the hood, the peeps, the builder, etc. I'm really getting into the thought of moving there within the next year.

Today in History:
1857 - In Waco, Texas, a young pharmacist called Charles Alderton invented the soft drink "Dr Pepper" YES! My hero!

Today is:
National Peaches and Cream Day Not for me though. Thanks
First Day of Summer And it's a hot one today!
Dr. Pepper Day I'm a Pepper!
Go Skateboarding Day Not me! I'll leave that to the kids!
Baby Boomer's Recognition Day Saw one in the mirror this morning. Handsome too, I might add!
World Handshake Day Nothing like a good solid handshake!
Daylight Appreciation Day I appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics