Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like a manual or automatic Transmission in your vehicle?
Manual 29 61.70%
Automatic 18 38.30%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 11:55 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,075,058 times

Advertisements

Much prefer the feel, that of being a part of the vehicle, when driving a manual. Will find myself on occasion, actually 'shifting' the automatic when in certain conditions... However, all three vehicles that are currently running are auto; the '55 Chevy p/u and the '63 Beetle are sticks, but in need of repair. When in traffic, an auto is nice. But, for me, a manual is very .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 09:39 AM

42,004 posts, read 75,373,190 times
Manual here. I don't like anything that takes away from the feeling and experience of driving the car. I don't like power steering, cruise control, etc.

The only time a manual is a pain is when you're stuck in creeping traffic, especially going uphill.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:10 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,388,382 times
If you really want to feel the car - manual is the way to go. Right now I am driving automatic which isn't nearly as enjoyable

Old 06-25-2007, 11:15 AM

Not as good as a true manual, some cars have the 'manual' automatic feature [such as Porsche/VW Tiptronic transmissions, or the semi-automatic transmission]. At least then there is some additional control over the torque, the feel, and the engine revs when in certain circumstances.

Really have not liked tho' the continuously variable transmissions, at least the couple models that have been in so far. The feel and the sound, it just doesn't seem right - true they are supposed to be better for the engine and efficiency, but... ick.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:23 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,385,058 times
Although they have come along way with automatics I still feel safer with a stick especially in the mountains, I use it to break going down hill and into turns. GM has mated some miserable standard transmisions to their cars as in their Irocs but as a generalization I prefer them to an automatic.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:17 PM

677 posts, read 4,215,371 times
I have a question for you transmission experts...my minivan (which has an automatic trans) desperately needs new brakes, and we're going to get them replaced in a few weeks, but until then my husband told me to shift into neutral whenever I need to make a sudden stop (like for a yellow light). Will it harm the transmission if I do this since it wasn't designed to work that way?

Old 06-25-2007, 05:38 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,306,948 times
This VERY same thing happened to a friend of mine. We were both management for The Bombay Company. At this particular store they always made their deposit at night...Until my friend Gary was robbed at gun point when he was walking up to the bank...when they tried to flee in Gary's car, they didn't know how to drive a stick...it would have been funny if Gary hadn't been so upset about having a gun put in his face.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:57 PM

18,087 posts, read 27,536,792 times
I think it really depends on the car. If you've got a car with a v-6 and plenty of power, get the automatic. If you have a 91 Nissan Sentra XE (1.6 liter 4-cylinder 16-valve) or similiar get the 5-speed. Both cars have the power to make it up and down these 6% grades of Colorado.

I've got a truck with that 300 cid straight six and it's a five speed. Once we got that Mazda transmission fixed (slave cylinder replacement requires dropping the tranny) it's been ok. Manual is fun until you need a new clutch. With a V-8 I like the automatic with overdrive.

Which ever one I drive, I just get used to it. I've got a 74 Sportster that shifts on the right. I've finally gotten used to that but I screw up when I ride any other bike.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:20 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,948,734 times
I've never driven a manual but I would like to learn (sometime in my life) how to drive one. In highschool, I had a driver's ed teacher tell us that you're not really driving until you're driving a stick. I still don't know what that means...Anyway, I have one of those automatic/manual cars but from what I understand, its not really the same (there's no clutch involved). I think I've used the manual side twice but I'm still not sure how to handle it.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenleigh View Post
I have a question for you transmission experts...my minivan (which has an automatic trans) desperately needs new brakes, and we're going to get them replaced in a few weeks, but until then my husband told me to shift into neutral whenever I need to make a sudden stop (like for a yellow light). Will it harm the transmission if I do this since it wasn't designed to work that way?
First, why are you waiting for 'a few weeks' to get the part that brings your 2 ton vehicle to a safe stop?

Secondly, and if you really must, I would believe that putting the tranny into the lowest gear safely and possible [depending upon your speed] would be better than going into neutral - by going into a lower gear, you are then using the engine to 'brake' the speed. Slowly go from OD or D, down to 3rd, and then to 2nd, and then finally to 1st, in slow increments, as your speed decreases. Going down steep [>6% grades for example] roads, this is what is recommended, for example.

I really don't understand the benefit of putting the vehicle in neutral, esp. for a sudden stop, and esp. when your brakes are suspect... In any case, please get your brakes repaired,,, asap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics