Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like a manual or automatic Transmission in your vehicle?
Manual 29 61.70%
Automatic 18 38.30%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 07:06 AM

667 posts, read 2,890,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I prefer a shift because I know I'm driving it, and not auto-piloting myself.

Exactly. Same here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 07:29 AM

13,905 posts, read 3,383,168 times
When shifting a standard do you decide when to shift by watching the tach or just by listening to the sound of the engine?

Old 06-26-2007, 07:39 AM

42,000 posts, read 75,342,629 times
I listen to the engine, northcountrygirl. Too dangerous to watch the tach and watch the road at the same time!

Old 06-26-2007, 07:44 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,689,465 times
I agree, listening is the preferred method.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:39 AM

18,066 posts, read 27,523,270 times
I think that manual transmissions and perhaps automatics (if properly shifted) can be easier on the brakes. But as I've been told, it's a lot cheaper to replace the brakes than to replace an abused transmission.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:05 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,441,547 times
Default Manual all the way....

I am more familiar with the manual shifting, then with automatic.
Most all european countries start off learning on the manual shift, and I think it gives you more control over the car, and you can get the car to it's full performance potential.
I HAD to switch to an automatic for the first time since being here in the US, because of the certain size, performace I was looking for.
I switched to an SUV, and the size and motor I needed were not available with a manual shift at Mercedes, BMW , VW.......or others.
It's not the end of the world, and I will manage....LOL.
But, one thing I get a complete kick out of....when I see all of those people driving a fat upperclass or sportversion BMW, Mercedes etc. but drive it with a automatic transmission......LOL.
Sorry, those cars NEED to be DRIVEN.....LOL.
It just a bit weird to me, (sorry, I don't know any better), that exactly those people don't even know on how to drive a stick shift....
They will never find out, how truly amazing their car can really be....
Don't hate me, but, yeah, that's just me and my 2 cents.......*sigh*

Old 06-26-2007, 08:10 PM

677 posts, read 4,214,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Secondly, and if you really must, I would believe that putting the tranny into the lowest gear safely and possible [depending upon your speed] would be better than going into neutral - by going into a lower gear, you are then using the engine to 'brake' the speed. Slowly go from OD or D, down to 3rd, and then to 2nd, and then finally to 1st, in slow increments, as your speed decreases. Going down steep [>6% grades for example] roads, this is what is recommended, for example.
I wish I had those options. It's a Chrysler - it only has drive, neutral, reverse, and park!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
I really don't understand the benefit of putting the vehicle in neutral, esp. for a sudden stop, and esp. when your brakes are suspect... In any case, please get your brakes repaired,,, asap.
When I put it in neutral it stops in seconds instead of when I'm halfway in the intersection and just glad I didn't hit anyone. I'm only waiting to get the brakes fixed because I have no other way of getting to work. I'll be taking it in on my next day off. Thanks for your concern though.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:25 PM

641 posts, read 2,372,615 times
Automatic tranny so I don't spill my beer tryin to shift.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:44 AM

667 posts, read 2,890,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
Automatic tranny so I don't spill my beer tryin to shift.

Come on now, you're not trying.

Anyone that's been driving a stick for a while can have a sandwich in one hand, a drink in the other, and still safely make a turn that involves changing gears

Old 06-27-2007, 10:13 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,554,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
Come on now, you're not trying.

Anyone that's been driving a stick for a while can have a sandwich in one hand, a drink in the other, and still safely make a turn that involves changing gears
And if you're a professional trucker, you can do all that AND check out passing cars for interesting activities all while talking trash on th' cee bee radio!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics