Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:52 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

Creme, I see that you're in PA, too ... Pittsburgh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 08:54 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
but I'm so sick of women who think they are entitled...who are aloof b/c they're in a high level position, and the moment they get in they're cars, think, they are entitled to drive as they please..b/c of they're positons...excuse me...but your no better then anyone else...
You know, I don't buy into the "Sheesh. Women drivers!" thing. It's a lame 80s comedy bit. All kinds of people drive aggressive, impatient, or distracted, especially with all their gadgets.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:06 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
As a 52 year old female Chinese American who loves to drive... bad drivers annoy me greatly. Ones that are not paying attention to the road or other cars. Ones that don't use turn signals. Or drive slowly in the passing lane. Or are talking on their cell phones. Or reading while at a stop light. Or texting at a stop light. Or eating or drinking while driving. Or applying makeup, or painting ones fingernails or toenails while at a stoplight. Or retying your hair in a ponytail while driving 90 miles an hour.

When driving, both hands should be on the steering wheel, and also checking your mirrors to see those to the sides and in back of you. 100% of your attention should be on driving.

And it really bothers me that so many of the bad drivers on the road these days are women. And it also seems to me that older drivers and Asian drivers are just too slow and hesitant on the road. Two of my boyfriend's Chinese buddies are just terrible drivers. One does some sort of gangsta lean to the right in his car while driving. I don't understand why he can't sit up straight and keep his face and eyes forward. The other one is the type that unconsciously steers towards where his eyes are looking. And on the highway, he is unable to maintain a consistent speed.

And all of these things are so worrisome as our roads get more crowded with vehicles and drivers on their cell phones.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:27 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You know, I don't buy into the "Sheesh. Women drivers!" thing. It's a lame 80s comedy bit. All kinds of people drive aggressive, impatient, or distracted, especially with all their gadgets.
Sorry, but I spend a lot of time on the road, and it generally is women drivers, yes, there are some men, and young boys who drive badly, but in my experience, women are a mess...they can't drive, they've got to be doing 20 different things...while behind the wheel...and I know this b/c over the years, I've been watching...

it's not only an 80's concept...most, not all, women drivers are much worse then men...and I'm including me in that (sometimes) LOL

this I hope, isn't looked at as a gender bash...it's mearly observation...I do love women and get along with them fine...

most of the time, not all, but most of the time, it's women drivers I encounter who are on they're cell phones and almost cause accidents, or just stop in the middle of traffic, or can't turn a corner????? And kids....

Old 08-13-2010, 09:30 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Ok, I'll admit, the problem here is probably me...you see, I grew up in a very small town...we were taught to be this way, to let others go first, and to be quit honest, I didn't know this was against the law...
you may not believe what I just wrote but its' true...people back then were being curtious...and I can't tell you how many times, men have done that to me, left me go first...or left me out of a parking lot...I guess the ol days are gone forever....

But I do see your points....

However, watch out....I'm going to rant again....
There is nothing wrong with courtesy. I am thankful I still live in a small town and I dont have the traffic headaches some of you have. Most ppl here will let you into traffic from parking losts and side roads. In more rural areas you still have ppl stop in the middle of the road to chat.

I was also taught to follow the rules.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:32 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Men and women are equally bad drivers. The person here who was driving drunk at 8 am a couple days ago and killed a young father driving his son to his first day of school was a man.

It annoys me when people take forever to go at a green light, too. However, in my area, if you go right when the light turns green you are putting your life in danger. People here are blatant red light runners. Now, I won't lie, I've gone through some I probably could/should have stopped for but always when the light is still yellow. I regularly sit at a red light and when the opposing green turn arrow turns red, there are still 2-3 cars that keep turning AFTER my light to go straight turns green. It's ridiculous.

People here are also weird about speed. It can be a gorgeous day without a cloud in the sky and not a drop of moisture on the road and I will get stuck behind someone going 10 miles under the limit. However, add some rain, snow and ice and suddenly I'm the jerk for slowing down. It makes no sense. It is also dangerous to actually drive the speed limit on the interstate through town. People will fly by you going 10-15 miles over.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:33 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
"There is nothing wrong with courtesy" until it messes up orderly traffic flow, which isn't particularly courteous.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:34 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Sorry, but I spend a lot of time on the road, and it generally is women drivers, yes, there are some men, and young boys who drive badly, but in my experience, women are a mess...they can't drive, they've got to be doing 20 different things...while behind the wheel...and I know this b/c over the years, I've been watching...

it's not only an 80's concept...most, not all, women drivers are much worse then men...and I'm including me in that (sometimes) LOL

this I hope, isn't looked at as a gender bash...it's mearly observation...I do love women and get along with them fine...
Studies don't show that, though:

Are Women Worse Drivers Than Men? - ABC News

Quote:
Women have a bad reputation when it comes to driving. Headlines like "Bad Driving 'Linked to Hormones'" fan the fire, sparking jokes like "Why was Helen Keller a bad driver? Because she was a woman." But researchers with the Social Issues Resource Center beg to differ. Its 2002 report analyzed a stack of studies on male and female driving differences and came to a bold conclusion: "In all studies and analyses, without exception, men have been shown to have a higher rate of crashes than women."
Men, the report claims, drive faster than women and have less regard for traffic laws: They speed, drive drunk, run stop signs, and therefore crash twice as often as women do. In the United States, men cause 71 percent of all road fatalities, a figure that's remained constant since 1975.
But don't men drive many more miles than women do? Wouldn't that account for some of the difference? It's true that males account for 62 percent of all miles driven, versus 38 percent for females, but even after miles are clocked and driving hours are factored in, men still get into way more fatal accidents.
Who Are Better Drivers: Men or Women? - MSN Autos

Quote:
In a study released by Quality Planning, an analytics company that validates policyholder information for auto insurers, women came out on top.The study analyzed different kinds of vehicle code violations (traffic violations) and then compared how many times men were cited versus women. The conclusion was that men break more traffic laws and drive more dangerously than women. Because they violate laws designed to make the roads safer, men cause more accidents and expensive damage.
Women are probably more likely to drive with children in car, which is distracting, but at the same time they're more likely to be cautious because of that.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:42 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Creme, I see that you're in PA, too ... Pittsburgh?
No, I'm out near Allentown...or there abouts....

isn't PA the greatest state...
I love it here....

Old 08-13-2010, 09:56 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
[i]n my area, if you go right when the light turns green you are putting your life in danger. People here are blatant red light runners.
Not so much in my area, but when I lived in Colorado, waiting for a few seconds in the wintertime was standard procedure. The roads were icy, and drivers would frequently slide into the intersection on red. There was a four-way stop a block from my house, and that happened to me regularly every winter. I hated that intersection, LOL. It was always icy (lots of overhead shade, so the ice wouldn't melt), and on a bit of a hill, so stopping was very difficult. I think the just-wait-a-moment mentality bled throughout the year, because most people (at least in Colorado Springs, where we lived) waited a second or two before going, no matter what season.

I live where it snows, but the roads aren't as icy here, so not as many people wait. But I always look both ways before going on green if I am first in line, just to make sure someone isn't coming. A big intersection near me has crosses on two corners from when people have died in traffic accidents, and I ALWAYS look there. The crosses remind me. I do not want to be T-boned by someone going 75 mph to catch the light. So I might take an extra second or two to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Now, I won't lie, I've gone through some I probably could/should have stopped for but always when the light is still yellow. I regularly sit at a red light and when the opposing green turn arrow turns red, there are still 2-3 cars that keep turning AFTER my light to go straight turns green. It's ridiculous.
I agree ... I do that too (on yellow). But people turning on red make me go . Boughton and Weber: I hate that intersection.

Last edited by JustJulia; 08-13-2010 at 10:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics