Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 06:32 AM

36,704 posts, read 31,000,643 times

Advertisements

Ok. there are exceptions. In the instances where it is blantly obvious the order at a four way and someone tries to make me go out of turn, I refuse to move. When two pull up opposite at the same time its in question, I will go. Its just a peeve of mine because so often people here seem as if they dont have a clue how a 4 way operates. Ive had people sitting at the stop when I pull up and will try to wave me to turn in front of them. Now if I go, then they decide to go and hit me, its my fault.
In particular situations, I have no problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 07:36 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,767,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Ok, folks, what's your feed back....
I realize, our world is getting smaller and smaller, and the traffic jams on the way home are worse and worse....however....people, drive me nuts...
you should hear me on the way home from work, which by the way, takes me 15 minutes longer, b/c I'm in work early...

1. Does it make you livid when people sit at the green light...what the heck could they be thinking or are they thinking at all? They are not aware or do they even care that people are sitting behind them waiting and they need to get thru that light to....how utterly rude of them, to sit there...on they're cell phones not paying attention or day dreaming...geeze louise, people wake up, your not the only person on that road, people have appointments to get to...People, wake the heck up, watch the light and get going so that other people can get thru, and you people behind that first person, do the same, and if that person in front of you isn't moving, lay the heck on the horn to wake them up....I mean, geeze...

2. Get off the darn cell phones while your driving...I cannot believe the women who insist they have entitlement to do that...make a call before you get in the car or pull over if you must talk on the phone....do us all a favor, please...yes, I've seen men on the cell phone...however, women and young people do it more....how dare you think you can drive and talk on the phone at the same time, and put everyone else's life in danger...it's not about you...Good God, I've had woman stop right in front of me...or cannot make a turn properly b/c she's steering with one hand...Gosh darn it...it seems everyone thinks they are above the law...or are entitled anymore, without any concern for anyone else....that is so dangerous!!!!! I wish there were cops out there and they'd fine people 500 buck for being on the cell phone while driving....I mean it, how dare they...or you! It's like people who say they can drive when they're drunk or stoned....give me a break.

3. OK, and this is only women whom I've had this problem with countless times....I'm at a 4 way stop or light...first in line, and the woman across from me, in the opposite direction is making a turn...I wave her on when the light turns green and what does she do...controlling you know what, she sits there, without any idea, or care, that there is traffic behind me waiting, but she waves back at me to go?????????? Then I wave again...and she waves again....GOOD GOD, what is wrong with you women out there, if someone is cutting you a break, do everyone a favor and GO...saves time and a lot of aggrivation, just b/c you way to controlling to care about anyone else....
by the way, I am a woman.

4. Old people....I realize, I really do...that older people tend to drive much slower but for God's sake, if you can't at least do the speed limit, get off the road...I'm on a 65 mile an hour highway and the person in front of me is doing 55 or less...I can't pass, cuz everyone else is whizzzing by me in the fast lane...people are coming up from behind fast in the slow lane, not realizing that I'm slowed down to 55 MPH or less...b/c of the person in front of me....Geeze if someone would hit me in the rear, those old people would just keep going, not realizing, they caused a very bad accident, or worse, maybe death???????

OK, I'll shut up now...

Whew, I feel much better, until, I'm once again on the road...

People....wake up out there, when your on the road driving, wake the heck up and drive defensively and with respect and concern for others....it's not just about you...
Watch out creme ... sounds like you are about to succumb to road rage. Relax a little. No offense, but if you are in such a hurry all the time that you freak out about having to wait three seconds for someone to go on green or that someone is not doing at least the speed limit, I think you should try to leave a little earlier so you're not so rushed and stressed out. Aggressive drivers cause a huge number of accidents. I am really annoyed by tailgaters and people who swerve and zoom around others because they are so impatient. I don't drive like an old lady, but I don't drive like a jackass teenager either.

And I agree with 2mares. If it's your turn to go, I will not go, no matter how much you wave at me. It's actually illegal here to give up the right of way. It confuses other drivers, and if I get in an accident because of your little "oh, go ahead," I'm the one at fault. I will wave back at you and sit there until you go, sorry.

Yes, cell phone drivers irritate me too. I was almost hit (as a pedestrian) years ago in a parking lot. Texting is even worse.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:48 AM

968 posts, read 2,628,896 times
when people like to cut me off, my little S button is my best friend. haha! foiled their maneuver!

Old 08-13-2010, 07:55 AM

28,976 posts, read 30,354,636 times
Quote:
JustJulia Watch out creme ... sounds like you are about to succumb to road rage. Relax a little.
Ok, I'll try....

Quote:
No offense, but if you are in such a hurry all the time that you freak out about having to wait three seconds for someone to go on green
It's not a matter of 3 seconds...the light turns green, the first person in line, doesn't move...which delays every other car behind them...I mean it doesn't happen all the time...but a lot of times...and traffic could move much faster if people would be more alert...you just put in a full days work and all you want to do is get home, and your can't b/c people are so asleep. I am not an agressive driver, promise you that...however, I am aware, and awake...and was taught by my dad, to constantly be aware of who is in front of me and who is in back...I also grew up with boys, my brother and his friends who taught me a lot about driving...women my friend, are the worst...the light is green and she's checking the mirror, fixing her hair, brushing her teeth (kidding) and all the cars behind her want to do is get through that light....people are really not alert when they are driving...or aware there are others that would like to get thru that light...you wouldn't get away with driving like that in NY, that's for sure....

Quote:
or that someone is not doing at least the speed limit, I think you should try to leave a little earlier so you're not so rushed and stressed out.
No offense, but I think you should go back and read my post...if the speed limit on a 4 - 6 lane highway is 55 MPH, you don't do 40 - 50 MPH, you do the speed limit..reason being, there are people coming up behind you in the slow lane that are going the speed limit, which could cause a chain reaction accident, plus...you can't move over in the fast lane to pass that person, b/c cars are passing them, back to back, so, I can't relax in that situation...and it isn't about getting home on time....it's about having an accident....

Quote:
Aggressive drivers cause a huge number of accidents. I am really annoyed by tailgaters and people who swerve and zoom around others because they are so impatient. I don't drive like an old lady, but I don't drive like a jackass teenager either.
tail gaters annoy me to and so do people who swerve and zoom around others, cutting you off....

Quote:
And I agree with 2mares. If it's your turn to go, I will not go, no matter how much you wave at me. It's actually illegal here to give up the right of way. It confuses other drivers, and if I get in an accident because of your little "oh, go ahead," I'm the one at fault. I will wave back at you and sit there until you go, sorry.
No, in the situations I'm talking about, It's not about an accident...it's about a controlling woman who needs to have her way...your sitting at a traffic light, 20 cars behind you...there is a woman sitting in a car, across from you...she is turning....you wave her on to go...she sits there and argues with you....so, sit there, in the mean time, your inconveniencing all the cars behind, who want to go, just because of stubborness....and I don't mean you, I mean you in general....how utterly controlling and stupid...I'm sorry, but women are the worst drivers.

Quote:
Yes, cell phone drivers irritate me too. I was almost hit (as a pedestrian) years ago in a parking lot. Texting is even worse.
Can't agree with you more....can't count on both hands and feet how many accidents I've almost seen because people think it's ok to break the law...hey, they're entitled!

by the way, speeders really get to me to...especially if they're weaving in and out of traffic...

Old 08-13-2010, 07:56 AM

28,976 posts, read 30,354,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
when people like to cut me off, my little S button is my best friend. haha! foiled their maneuver!
Whats an S button? and how does that foil they're maneuver?

Sorry but you have to draw pictures....?

Old 08-13-2010, 08:06 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,359,505 times
Quote:
3. OK, and this is only women whom I've had this problem with countless times....I'm at a 4 way stop or light...first in line, and the woman across from me, in the opposite direction is making a turn...I wave her on when the light turns green and what does she do...controlling you know what, she sits there, without any idea, or care, that there is traffic behind me waiting, but she waves back at me to go?????????? Then I wave again...and she waves again....GOOD GOD, what is wrong with you women out there, if someone is cutting you a break, do everyone a favor and GO...saves time and a lot of aggrivation, just b/c you way to controlling to care about anyone else....
There are rules determining who has the right-of-way at controlled intersections. At a stoplight, a person turning left only has the right-of-way with respect to oncoming traffic if they have an arrow. Otherwise, by waving them on you are asking them to break a traffic law and convention that is well-established for good reason. If you were waving me on at a stoplight, I'd sit there too, and Ill tell you why: you never know if someone behind you -- probably thinking you're one of those idiots you deride in your point #1 for not going when the light turns green -- gets impatient while you try to do the stoplight's job and direct traffic, and he decides to blaze around you. If I were to follow your traffic commands rather than those dictated by the stop light and traffic laws, that person would end up T-boning me because you waved me into a conflicting traffic-flow path. As for the 4-way stop, again, there are rules about who goes, namely, the first to approach a sign. If you and an oncoming car approach at the same time and you're going straight and they're turning left, then you have the right-of-way. So go when it's your turn, get out of peoples' way, and let the traffic control devices and traffic laws do their job in determining who goes when.

Quote:
4. Old people....I realize, I really do...that older people tend to drive much slower but for God's sake, if you can't at least do the speed limit, get off the road...I'm on a 65 mile an hour highway and the person in front of me is doing 55 or less...I can't pass, cuz everyone else is whizzzing by me in the fast lane...people are coming up from behind fast in the slow lane, not realizing that I'm slowed down to 55 MPH or less...b/c of the person in front of me....Geeze if someone would hit me in the rear, those old people would just keep going, not realizing, they caused a very bad accident, or worse, maybe death???????
If they're in the right lane, they don't have to go any faster than the posted minimum speed. It is your obligation to look for an opportunity to pass them, not their obligation to drive faster in the right lane just because you're too impatient to wait for the next opportunity to pass them.

Quote:
People....wake up out there, when your on the road driving, wake the heck up and drive defensively and with respect and concern for others....it's not just about you...
Back at ya.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:07 AM

29,772 posts, read 34,497,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
New point of contention - The majority of people that travel in the area that two lanes merge to one, they know this yet they're dogged about getting ahead, even to the point of passing on the right hand side. Once they get down to the front, they expect people to let them in? Uh, didn't you see that long line of cars in front of you? I guess the people that are already waiting in line have nothing better to do with their time? Oh, that's right, we forgot, you're much more important than the rest of us. ok..ahhh, I feel better now too.
But in this situation, you're actually supposed to drive all the way up to the merge point and then zipper in. Some people see the merge sign, get over, and then sit there while the other lane sits empty.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:10 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,405,482 times
Speaking of road rage, one of the few things that drive me nuts about my SO is how frustrated he gets on the road. I think driving in NYC for 25 years and then in South Florida (where it's even worse believe it or not) is really getting to him. If I could have a dollar for each time I've heard "You are a damn fool! Where are you going? Where. are. you. going???? He sees me trying to get in and he speeds up! A damn m....f.....fool!!!", I would treat myself for a nice day at the spa.

The truth of the matter is, it all depends on where you live. If you think you have it bad, or if you think that you are so nice and gracious and patient while driving and look down on those impatient sinners, try driving in Manhattan or down to Miami on 95 (a highway that has the most amount of accidents in the entire country).

Old 08-13-2010, 08:12 AM

29,772 posts, read 34,497,732 times
Quote:
Speaking of road rage, one of the few things that drive me nuts about my SO is how frustrated he gets on the road. I think driving in NYC for 25 years and then in South Florida (where it's even worse believe it or not) is really getting to him. If I could have a dollar for each time I've heard "You are a damn fool! Where are you going? Where. are. you. going???? He sees me trying to get in and he speeds up! A damn m....f.....fool!!!", I would treat myself for a nice day at the spa.
I have a friend with a toddler, and apparently my pal gets a little worked up on the road. She said that she was driving in traffic one day and hit the brakes hard and yelled "learn to drive!" or something, and she heard a little voice from the back seat ask, "Mommy, was dat guy an a$$hole?"

Old 08-13-2010, 08:15 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,405,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I have a friend with a toddler, and apparently my pal gets a little worked on the road. She said that she was driving in traffic one day and hit the brakes hard, and she heard a little voice from the back seat ask, "Mommy, was dat guy an a$$hole?"
Oh my gosh!!!!! I probably shouldn't say that, but that was funny. One day my husband was getting into his usual impatient rage and apparently forgot that my son is in the back. A minute later, my son said in a very adult, matter of fact manner: "Dad, don't say f**k, it's a very bad bad word".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics