Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 01:34 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times

Advertisements

I was called a "f**king b***h" the other day by a guy who was incensed by the fact that I had the right-of-way, apparently. I pulled up to the stop sign, then he did (going the other way,) then I went, and he yelled at me as I drove past him. Charming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,010,901 times
Some of these things have happened to me and I've done a couple--among other things. Cell phones and such are inexcusable while driving, of course, but other things mentioned, I just chalk it up to, Life goes on even when we're behind the wheel. Live with it.

3,430 posts, read 4,338,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Watch out creme ... sounds like you are about to succumb to road rage. Relax a little. No offense, but if you are in such a hurry all the time that you freak out about having to wait three seconds for someone to go on green or that someone is not doing at least the speed limit, I think you should try to leave a little earlier so you're not so rushed and stressed out. Aggressive drivers cause a huge number of accidents. I am really annoyed by tailgaters and people who swerve and zoom around others because they are so impatient. I don't drive like an old lady, but I don't drive like a jackass teenager either.

And I agree with 2mares. If it's your turn to go, I will not go, no matter how much you wave at me. It's actually illegal here to give up the right of way. It confuses other drivers, and if I get in an accident because of your little "oh, go ahead," I'm the one at fault. I will wave back at you and sit there until you go, sorry.

Yes, cell phone drivers irritate me too. I was almost hit (as a pedestrian) years ago in a parking lot. Texting is even worse.
I posted before reading all the replies but I so agree with this. Why the heck do these pretentious idiots try and make you go first. I do not understand it. It baffles me and goes against common sense and rational behaviour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by KylieEve; 08-13-2010 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: .

Old 08-13-2010, 01:39 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,338,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
As a 52 year old female Chinese American who loves to drive... bad drivers annoy me greatly. Ones that are not paying attention to the road or other cars. Ones that don't use turn signals. Or drive slowly in the passing lane. Or are talking on their cell phones. Or reading while at a stop light. Or texting at a stop light. Or eating or drinking while driving. Or applying makeup, or painting ones fingernails or toenails while at a stoplight. Or retying your hair in a ponytail while driving 90 miles an hour.

When driving, both hands should be on the steering wheel, and also checking your mirrors to see those to the sides and in back of you. 100% of your attention should be on driving.

And it really bothers me that so many of the bad drivers on the road these days are women. And it also seems to me that older drivers and Asian drivers are just too slow and hesitant on the road. Two of my boyfriend's Chinese buddies are just terrible drivers. One does some sort of gangsta lean to the right in his car while driving. I don't understand why he can't sit up straight and keep his face and eyes forward. The other one is the type that unconsciously steers towards where his eyes are looking. And on the highway, he is unable to maintain a consistent speed.

And all of these things are so worrisome as our roads get more crowded with vehicles and drivers on their cell phones.

I don`t want to stereotype but since you said it first why are many asians such bad drivers. Almost everytime i`m cut off and I look in the car that cut me off its either a really old person grasping the steering wheel for dear life or an asian driver.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Reading this thread makes me wish we could hasten the day America finally embraces the roundabout.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
you didn't read my post, they're going way under the speed limit, and the fast lane is bumper to bumper trying to pass...I'm stuck....
I did read your post, and it doesn't change my response.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:52 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,466,883 times
Ooh. Glad to come across this thread. On the topic of being more aware of others:

Where I live, it's pretty commonplace for cars to try to turn on my green light even when I've started crossing. This wouldn't seem too insane except that I'm blind. So if you are driving, and you notice a blind pedestrian has already started crossing the street, please instead of trying to beat them to the turn, just wait the few seconds till they cross your lane and then turn. Especially if it's the green light and not the turning signal. Even if it is your turning signal, sometimes cars sound like they're going straight at first so the blind person may have just accidentally thought you were going to go straight. In either case, please just let them cross first. I've almost died this way numerous times. It's really unsafe to cross in front of a blind person who is swinging a cane. The cane could get caught under the car and take the blind person with them -- death. Not to mention, some canes, when broken, snap into shards of fiberglass which are very dangerous for all involved. And if that's not incentive enough, some states revoke your driving license for life if you hit a blind pedestrian.

So just to sum up: if a blind person starts crossing the street, please don't keep turning. Wait until they've crossed your lane and then turn.

Thank you.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:03 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I was called a "f**king b***h" the other day by a guy who was incensed by the fact that I had the right-of-way, apparently. I pulled up to the stop sign, then he did (going the other way,) then I went, and he yelled at me as I drove past him. Charming.
Was that you??? I'm so sorry.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:59 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I don`t want to stereotype but since you said it first why are many Asians such bad drivers. Almost every time i`m cut off and I look in the car that cut me off its either a really old person grasping the steering wheel for dear life or an Asian driver.
We don't get much snow or ice here in DFW but when we do it's fun to go out and watch all the Middle East transplants drive.

All other cars may all be moving at 20 miles an hour except the taxi drivers who are doing about .005 miles an hour. If they ever hit a patch of ice they look like this .... or

Old 08-13-2010, 08:11 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,466,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Where I live, this is called "the Pittsburgh left". If there's no arrow and the first car at the intersection is turning left, they will gun it and make that left before the opposing traffic can go. Or the first opposing car will wave them through. They say it's so the left-turning car doesn't back up traffic, but when I first moved here I almost T-boned a few cars. Now I know better.

That sounds SO dangerous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics