Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 03:07 AM

95 posts, read 258,594 times

Advertisements

Out of these generations, which is the best and why? I say the Silent Generation because they were brave, selfless, and fought for our rights.

Greatest Generation (Those born in the 1910's and early 1920's that were of age by WWII)
Silent Generation (Those born from about the mid 1920's to the early 1940's)
Baby Boomers (Those born from the end of WWII til the mid 1960's)
Generation X (Those born from the mid 1960's to the late 1970's)
Millennials (Those born from late 1970's til mid 1990's)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 03:55 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
I have to deviate from your list and give you my two and why.

1. Late 1800's was the decade of invention - the lightbulb, phonograph, automobile, telephone, flight; every thing we take for granted now was developed then.

2 1960's brought about the diversity of people and viewpoints of democracy. We had war and those that served and those that opposed it, music began to change from accoustic to electric and become more developed and people were more active and more organized in joining causes for others instead of just tossing money at the issue. Significant changes took place in areas of race and gender.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:06 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,626,646 times
All of the generations have had their proud moments so I don't think it's fair to say one is better than another. The most recent generations haven't had time enough to experience the things that the older generations have. I'm a baby boomer so of course I lean towards my own generation but I have to go with what Thursday said.....that's when the most change and progress occurred that has affected all of us.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:40 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,214,720 times
I think all the generations were going uphill................ until recently.

Sure, they've inherited some tough times, but so did many other generations. They need to quit whining and get a vision for themselves.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:51 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
Most of the Gen Y are still learning, so their impact is underestimated. I suspect both Gen Y and the Net generation are going to have a larger impact than people realize. These people have the numbers comparable to the boomers, don't remember the cold war, always lived with computers, have childhood friends from around the globe, and consume more information in 2 weeks than an average baby boomer of their age consumed in a year...

Old 01-13-2011, 08:22 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,054,655 times
Baby boomers were the best generation. They went through a lot of stuff and paved the way for the generations after them. Racial violence and stuff like that. I'm a Generation X'er by the way.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:25 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,515,511 times
I am a boomer but I have to agree about the 60's that decade brought about a change in the way we thought and felt about issues. It also brought into play the importance of dialogue. Little by little issues that had previously been kept under the rug were brought out in the open, examined and talked about some were resolved some not but at least the door was open.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:28 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,833,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I have to deviate from your list and give you my two and why.

1. Late 1800's was the decade of invention - the lightbulb, phonograph, automobile, telephone, flight; every thing we take for granted now was developed then.

2 1960's brought about the diversity of people and viewpoints of democracy. We had war and those that served and those that opposed it, music began to change from accoustic to electric and become more developed and people were more active and more organized in joining causes for others instead of just tossing money at the issue. Significant changes took place in areas of race and gender.
I love your "deviation" so I am going to agree. My Grandfather was born in 1896, and died in the late 1970's...I think he saw so much in his life that he never thought was possible to see. A new invention today, and alot of us are kind of "oh, ya, that's cool...knowing there will be something new just around the corner. The world is just a little to fast for me. I think the 1960's saw incredible change because of different "people powered movements" throughout various parts of the world...

Old 01-13-2011, 08:32 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,676,862 times
How can you not pick Baby Boomers. We brought you Rock & Roll, Evlis Presley, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and "Free Love". To better state my point, each of the generations mentioned have good, bad and silly points.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:15 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,426,903 times
I think every Generation has something different to offer.
I could sit and listen for hours and talk for hours with a person born in the 20's.
I used to constantly ask my Mother Why she didnt Practicly Kill herself to get to woodstock. She didnt live that far..

Baby Boomers, Generation X, Millennials.. they have brought so much to Medicine and Technology.
Medicine and genitics. Computers, cellphones, social networks..everything having it's good and bad.

How about the Ages..?

Stone age
Iron age
Bronze age?

Where would we be without success of those ages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics