Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 03:46 PM

72,416 posts, read 18,202,018 times

Advertisements

Love it! great for business contacts.The best way to meet and do business! I have LinkedIn too but I don't like it as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 05:26 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,412 times
I don't hate it I just don't use it. My acct. has been deactivated for months I only recently reactivated it to follow and post on The Anandoned Dog story.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:03 PM

987 posts, read 1,746,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I have a FB account, I am not addicted to it by any means, I'm here far more then FB. I did reconnect with some old friends, and it's easy to keep contact with family in NY.
There are some people that take it just a little too far however, I have seen younger second cousins post on their wall "I gotta pee real bad" and yeah people actually reply to it...
As with anything people sometimes take things to far..
LOL (And then not laughing too, more like what is the world coming to for our younger generations)
My kid does that too, always says the "What not to say" messages and yep she gets her friends saying dumb and dumber things too

Ooooh my.......

Old 04-04-2011, 08:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I could careless about using it and there for haven't and have no opinion. My wife does and keeps up with a huge number of family and friends o it. They basically multi coference on.Sounds more like many of the complaints are friends which in fact were never freinds really.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:51 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,680 times
I went there for about a week and a half - it didn't flip my switch. To me its a lot of what we already have just packaged a little different.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:24 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
I do not go to Facebook. Ever.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:56 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I do not go to Facebook. Ever.
Me either

Old 04-05-2011, 06:12 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I have a FB account, I am not addicted to it by any means, I'm here far more then FB. I did reconnect with some old friends, and it's easy to keep contact with family in NY.
There are some people that take it just a little too far however, I have seen younger second cousins post on their wall "I gotta pee real bad" and yeah people actually reply to it...
As with anything people sometimes take things to far..

I use it and not necessarily every single day.. I am not one who says where I am and announce it on FB LOL that I am in a store or here or there.........just tmi! It's nice for keeping in touch with all my connections!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:24 AM

553 posts, read 1,544,996 times
I tried it and I didn't like it. I deactivated my account after I got too many friend requests from people I barely knew or didn't want to know. I don't know what the big deal is either. My son lives on FB and freaks out if he misses his computer time because we're away from the house. Plus, I have seen and heard of way too many bad things associated with using it. The stalkers, the frauds, the bullying, the broken relationships, cheating spouses, security breaches, etc. I grew up in a pretty small suburb and I could really care less about my old classmates or work associates knowing my every move. My best friend from high school tells me that people are asking about me on HER FB page. I think that's just weird.

And I also would resent being judged on my personal choices by a potential employer. That right there is a bunch of BS!!! Not that I have anything to hide, but it's just none of their business what I do on the weekends. If I like to dress up as a Lord of the Rings Hobbit, take yodeling lessons and garden in the nude, then that has nothing to do with how well I'm going to perform my job Monday through Friday. People get fired or get in trouble all the time for posting their opinions on Twitter, Myspace and FB. It has changed society and I don't think it's for the better. Why do you think C-D is so awesome? Because we don't have to use our real names to post our opinions about anything. It works for me.

The politically correct police are ruining peoples lives because of tasteless jokes being posted at inappropriate times. Just because some people have bad taste in humor doesn't mean they need to lose their jobs over it. I'm sick of walking on egg shells because I might offend somebody for my view of religion, politics and human rights. Isn't that what bumper stickers are for? To offend people anonymously in traffic?

Old 04-05-2011, 07:51 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britifftay View Post
I have never had a myspace, facebook, etc nor have I ever been interested at all in getting a page. I see facebook as a legal breech of privacy that you setup yourself and also simply a place for gossip. I do see some pros to facebook....it makes it easy and convenient to keep in touch with out of town relatives and friends. But do people seriously have 2000 "friends" whom they are ok with knowing everything about their lives?? Maybe I am not seeing all the advantages to it, but for now, I can't stand it!!
For someone not to ever have a page, you sure do know a lot about it ...just wanted to sound off on that..

Anyway, I have a page. I have a very small select group of friends. I know all my facebook friends. I do not accept people I don't know.

I have had my page for going on 2 years now. I have had to learn, the hard way, what to put up there and what not to, because like you stated in your original post, people will take stuff you wrote in your status update and run with it. My boyfriend has found out stuff I have said on Facebook and he doesn't even have a page! So, you have to be careful on what you say. I do enjoy it, though. I love keeping in touch with out of town relatives and friends and looking at pics.

Some people DO use it as a tool for hooking up, gossiping, and starting trouble. Facebook is what YOU make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics