Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 02:36 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,474,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Don't worry, I'm not giving up...however, one must wonder, at the rate this government screws up, what kind of crap will our children have to live with?

The last one was shameful too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2006, 02:52 PM

153 posts, read 563,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
I am so sick of people giving me bad rep points because they dont agree with my political stance. I only give out bad rep if I feel someone is being combative or rude. Whether or not I agree with the post is irrelevant. I welcome other people's beliefs...
I'm with ya sistah! ya just got a point from me!

Quote:
I guess this forum must be filled with a lot of conservatives.
BINGO!!

Quote:
It's just sad when people can't accept each other's beliefs, or discuss them with an open mind- how else can you find the truth? Certainly not by having tunnel vision, never questioning yourself, and never welcoming new ideas...
Amen! Here is a quote I LOVE from author Sera Beak, "I follow my own red heart. I listen to those who speak from their own ... I question, doubt, and dare to know there's always more."

It will take more than bad rep points (didn't know you could do that!) to silence me. When we shut up about things we believe in, things that move us to speak out, we do a diservice to ourselves and to others.

Old 09-16-2006, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublet View Post
I'm with ya sistah! ya just got a point from me!

BINGO!!

Amen! Here is a quote I LOVE from author Sera Beak, "I follow my own red heart. I listen to those who speak from their own ... I question, doubt, and dare to know there's always more."

It will take more than bad rep points (didn't know you could do that!) to silence me. When we shut up about things we believe in, things that move us to speak out, we do a diservice to ourselves and to others.

I'm an ultra-conservative and I make no bones about, but I would never try to silence anyone or give them a bad rep for having an opinion. Ask some of the Libs on here, I've given libs rep for having good points I don't take away for things I don't agree with.

P.S. I think there's more libs on here than conservatives, unless they are closet conservatives

Old 09-16-2006, 03:36 PM

311 posts, read 618,616 times
Quote:

This keeps happening to me. I guess I'll just keep my low rep points- even though I'm one of the nicest people you'll ever meet and I've never posted anything combative. All I've done is stated my beliefs. I guess this forum must be filled with a lot of conservatives. It's just sad when people can't accept each other's beliefs, or discuss them with an open mind- how else can you find the truth? Certainly not by having tunnel vision, never questioning yourself, and never welcoming new ideas.

urghhhh.... I'm getting sucked into the internet drama. Somebody help me. I am pathetic LOL.
mariatherese, I agree that you should be able to state your beliefs and that we all should be able to discuss with an open mind....questioning is one way to learn!

Now on the subject of questioning why do you think this forum is filled with conservatives? Liberals state their opinions, also. At times I think both conservatives and liberals are guilty of having "tunnel vision!" I am conservative in most things but like discussions (if not, I wouldn't be reading the posts here!).

Sucked into the internet drama??? That was a good one!

Old 09-16-2006, 05:07 PM

622 posts, read 2,710,374 times
thanks everyone! i got all these new good rep pts now- but now i feel bad because i whined to get them! as my fiance would say, "would you like some cheese with that whine?"

actually i've never given out a bad rep pt yet, but i will if i feel someone is being just plain rude.

whitney: i just meant that in the threads i have posted in, i seem to be one of the few who lean to the left. most other ideas seem to be more conservative. i have been feeling a bit like the odd one out- but thats OK! doesnt bother me. i am actually learning alot by listening. i was just assuming that those who were giving me bad rep pts were conservative. who knows, it could just be the same person!

yes, both libs and cons are guilty of having tunnel vision. i didnt mean to say that about cons. just about whoever it was giving me bad rep pts, whatever side of the fence they may be on.

i think the worst thing we can do is dismiss something or someone because we of a label we have given it. for instance, i have been surprised when a lot of conservatives on here have voiced opinions that i thought weren't supposed to be "typical" of conservatives or christians. then i realized how retarded it was for me to think that anyways- to put some stupid label on a person and stereotype them so that you judge them before you even hear what they have to say. i'm sure thats whats wrong in washington, too. people should be more willing to work together.

anyways... i'm stealing this thread. sorry. its supposed to be about christmas...

Last edited by mariatherese; 09-16-2006 at 05:20 PM..

Old 09-16-2006, 08:30 PM

311 posts, read 618,616 times
Quote:
i seem to be one of the few who lean to the left. most other ideas seem to be more conservative. i have been feeling a bit like the odd one out- but thats OK!

i think the worst thing we can do is dismiss something or someone because we of a label we have given it. for instance, i have been surprised when a lot of conservatives on here have voiced opinions that i thought weren't supposed to be "typical" of conservatives or christians. then i realized how retarded it was for me to think that anyways- to put some stupid label on a person and stereotype them so that you judge them before you even hear what they have to say. i'm sure thats whats wrong in washington, too. people should be more willing to work together.

anyways... i'm stealing this thread. sorry. its supposed to be about christmas...
mariatherese,nothing wrong in being the odd one out (it never has been for me!) as long as you are standing up for what you believe but are willing to listen to another person's viewpoint. I like to be informed in order to make better choices/decisions. As I stated, I am conservative but I still like to hear what others think and why they think as they do. I guess that is partly why some of the"typical conservatives or christians" you refer to might not always think or act conservatively! (Hope that makes a little sense.) I may not always agree with what you or anyone else might say, but you have the right to express your opinion, and we may very well learn something from that opinion.....
Oh, and by the way...Merry Christmas!!
I liked the "cheese with your whine".....can I use that phrase???

Old 09-16-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney View Post
mariatherese,nothing wrong in being the odd one out (it never has been for me!) as long as you are standing up for what you believe but are willing to listen to another person's viewpoint. I like to be informed in order to make better choices/decisions. As I stated, I am conservative but I still like to hear what others think and why they think as they do. I guess that is partly why some of the"typical conservatives or christians" you refer to might not always think or act conservatively! (Hope that makes a little sense.) I may not always agree with what you or anyone else might say, but you have the right to express your opinion, and we may very well learn something from that opinion.....
Oh, and by the way...Merry Christmas!!
I liked the "cheese with your whine".....can I use that phrase???

Ditto Ditto Ditto Ditto from this neo-con

Old 09-16-2006, 09:43 PM

622 posts, read 2,710,374 times
sure. you can use that phrase, whitney.

that'll be $5 please.

hmmmm...maybe i am a republican after all.

(i'm kidding! i'm kidding! i couldnt resist!)

Old 09-16-2006, 09:55 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,331,550 times
Okay, I'm an idiot, because I'm completely confused and I'm probably about to sound schizo or something but, hey.....

A1m1700, what was shameful, wondering what the world is coming to? (that question was not meant to sound snippy, I'm just wondering what your reply meant, as I think I got lost in here back on page 4 or something). I didn't mean to sound like the grim reaper or anything. I was simply agreeing with Mariatherese, things just keep getting crazier and more petty and twisted as the world goes 'round. Think of what it was like when we were kids, did we get exposed to all the stuff our kids get exposed to? It stinks!!! So, I didn't mean to sound sooo bleak, but it does make you wonder, ya know?

Also, Mariatherese, I do like you and I do agree with some of the stuff you said. However, I must clear things up a bit right now...I'm republican...sorry.

I just don't agree with a lot of things that have happened since 9/11...the whole illegal immigrant thing and all that. We do really need to tighten our borders and stop letting people walk all over us. (if there weren't so many innocent, kind and honest people living in the countries we are at war with....I'd say bomb the whole d*mn country and sink it). (God forgive me for saying that, but we do need to really pull out the big guns and stop taking crap...besides, in the eyes of God, we are supposed to honor and fight for our country no matter what).

Old 09-16-2006, 09:57 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,624,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I have Jewish friends, and they don't get offended when people tell them Merry Christmas.

This whole "controversy" is media-created. Ignore it. Every one enjoy the holidays, be good to your neighbors, love your family, and get on with life.

Oh yeah. And have a MERRY CHRISTMAS.
I absolutely agree, on all points! Frankly, I'm extremely tired of political correctness run amok! If folks want to say "Happy Holidays", that's fine with me. Myself, I believe I'll stick with "Merry Christmas"! It's what I grew up with, and I prefer it. It's more to the point and not nearly as generic! As a side note, for all those "no religion" sticklers, look up the word, "holiday". It actually means "holy day". (Sorry, I couldn't resist! ) Merry Christmas, y'all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics