Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 05:57 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,543,102 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s): (This underline is for you rainroosty )
Have you ever kept animals other than those thought of as pets (cows, bees, etc.)? No

If you did not keep any non-pet animals, which would you *like* to keep? No, I'm about done keeping animals.

Just for Fun:
What silly little talent do you have that sets you apart from others? Laughing at myself.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever had a chance encounter with well-known people? Many times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 06:01 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,871,418 times
Have you ever kept animals other than those thought of as pets (cows, bees, etc.)?
I grew up on a farm, so sure! Cows, work horses...... Oh, we kept ducks as pets, Oscar and Beethoven.
And then my younger daughter had a turtle. His name was Rex, named after his cousin T.

Did you enjoy them, or were they more trouble than they were worth?
Farming is hard work! The turtle..... not much trouble.

If you did not keep any non-pet animals, which would you *like* to keep?
The ducks

Just for Fun:
What silly little talent do you have that sets you apart from others?
I have no silly talents. My nephew tries to teach me things..... making faces and/or noises, and I try, but whatever I do just sends him into hysterics.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever had a chance encounter with well-known people? Not that I know of..... Oh, a few politicians.

Have a wonderful day, all!

Last edited by kpinvt; 07-11-2012 at 06:20 AM..

Old 07-11-2012, 06:22 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
Today's Question(s):
Have you ever kept animals other than those thought of as pets (cows, bees, etc.)?
No, but on the land of others I have encountered some such.

If so, which animals have you kept?
Goats, chickens, ducks, and cattle.

Did you enjoy them, or were they more trouble than they were worth?
As a kid visiting a farm it was fun to feed the chickens and ducks. They would peck food right off your feet, if it landed there.
As an adult it was fun to feed range cubes to the cattle. Watch your fingers!
And watch out for the billy goat. He may want to head butt someone.

An elephant would be fun, provided there was enough room.

Just for Fun:
A silly talent? All my talents are serious.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever had a chance encounter with well-known people?
I once saw a famous author on an airplane, but didn't get a chance to speak to him.

Have a great day.

Last edited by bjh; 07-11-2012 at 06:39 AM..

Old 07-11-2012, 06:30 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,543,686 times
Today's Question(s): )
Have you ever kept animals other than those thought of as pets (cows, bees, etc.)? Yes. I had birds, various turtles/tortoises, kept fish alive that we caught in the lake, and two baby jackrabbits whose parents were killed by hunters. The baby birds were returned to their nests after an hour or so. Grandmother said it's not right to keep them if they fell out of the nest. They could barely fly. I thought it was great fun. She said they have mites.

If you did not keep any non-pet animals, which would you *like* to keep? I would like a giraffe and and a baby elephant. <cue the "I want a hippopotomous for Christmas" song.>

Just for Fun:
What silly little talent do you have that sets you apart from others? I get along with the anti-social types, psychopaths and sociopaths, criminals, murderers, thieves, and others who have been shunned from society. And I like to match wits against criminals who think they are above the law. Then catch them, then bury them according to the law. It's great fun to look them in the eye and let them know I beat them.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever had a chance encounter with well-known people? Jerry West. He was great. Still is. I wish I knew Bob Cousy.
Quote of the Day:

If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals. ~ J. K. Rowling ~

Last edited by _redbird_; 07-11-2012 at 06:41 AM..

Old 07-11-2012, 06:46 AM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Today's Question(s):
Have you ever kept animals other than those thought of as pets (cows, bees, etc.)? When a youngster we had a horse, pigs, goats, and lots of chickens on the farm.

If so, which animals have you kept? None.

Did you enjoy them, or were they more trouble than they were worth? At the time they were okay, After school my chore was to feed them and collect the eggs.

If you did not keep any non-pet animals, which would you *like* to keep? None.

Just for Fun:
What silly little talent do you have that sets you apart from others? I can type 62 & 1/2 words with 2 fingers...

Bonus Question:
Have you ever had a chance encounter with well-known people? I've run into a few, mostly politicians, none that I'd brag about...

"Happy Hump Day", let's all enjoy it....

Old 07-11-2012, 07:22 AM

280 posts, read 572,292 times
Today's Question(s):
No

Chinchillas or maybe Alpacas

Just for Fun:
Comical humor

Bonus Question:
Have you ever had a chance encounter with well-known people?
Yes

National Ranier Cherries Day As an ex-Washingtonian, its Rainier.
Slurpee Day Free Slurpees today according to the news.

Have a great day everyone! Thank you PatsCats

Old 07-11-2012, 07:27 AM

44,370 posts, read 20,073,157 times
Have you ever kept animals other than those thought of as pets (cows, bees, etc.)? Nope.
If you did not keep any non-pet animals, which would you *like* to keep? A goat; bees. My godson is a beekeeper, and his honey is the best I've ever tasted!

Just for Fun:
What silly little talent do you have that sets you apart from others? I can speak in several different foreign accents. I'm also a great joke teller.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever had a chance encounter with well-known people? Yep, a few times. I rode in an elevator twice with Liberace, back in the early 80s. His dentist's office was in the same corridor as the law firm I worked at in Merrillville, IN. Next to the same office building is a theatre at which a lot of big stars have performed over the years. I met David Copperfield once in the parking lot, and used to watch people from his entourage walk the tigers out in the parking lot - I could see it from my office window on the 6th floor. Pretty cool, to glance outside while working and see someone walking two huge, white tigers between the rows of cars!

Edited to add: OMG, I forgot to include the biggies! I once had dinner at a restaurant and shared a table with Cubs baseball greats Billy Williams, Ron Santo and Fergie Jenkins, and their wives. I was a senior in high school, and helped to put on a big charity fundraiser. We sponsored a basketball game between the local firemen and the Cubs. After the event, the adults allowed only a few of us young'ns to attend the dinner. Billy, Ron, Fergie and their wives were lovely people. It was a real thrill to spend a couple of hours with them.

Today in History:
1789 U.S. Marine Corps created by an act of Congress Semper fi!

Today’s Word:
femme fatale
Pronunciation: (fem fuh-TAHL)
plural femmes fatales (fem fuh-TAHLZ)
Meaning: noun: An attractive and seductive woman, especially one who leads others into disaster.

Today is:
Bowdler's Day I just Googled this. Interesting! (If Bowdler edited the C-D Relationships forum, there'd be nothing left of it! )
Day of the Five Billion Ok...
Cheer up the Lonely Day Actually, I did that just this morning. Comforted a co-worker when I found her crying and feeling lonely.
National Ranier Cherries Day I love cherries! I have a bowl of them on my desk today for snacking.
Slurpee Day No, thanks.
World Population Day I can almost hear Carl Sagan saying, "billions and billions"!

Happy hump day, everybody!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-11-2012 at 10:40 AM..

Old 07-11-2012, 07:54 AM

7,336 posts, read 2,744,132 times
Only short term (less than a day).

If so, which animals have you kept? Tarantulas, a couple of snakes, horned toads, lizards

Did you enjoy them, or were they more trouble than they were worth? At the time, I thought they were great!

Just for Fun:

Bonus Question:
Have you ever had a chance encounter with well-known people? Yes, a few...

Hope you all have a wonderful day and enjoy your lives.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:55 AM

8,816 posts, read 21,286,964 times
Today's Question(s) Wednesday July 11, 2012

Mornin’ all!

I met a woman last week who lives on an organic farm where she grows vegetables, and raises some small livestock, not too far from my house. She inspired the following questions.

Have you ever kept animals other than those thought of as pets (cows, bees, etc.)? nope

Just for Fun:
What silly little talent do you have that sets you apart from others? I wish I could think of something, but I can't.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever had a chance encounter with well-known people? When I was younger my friend Liz had a baby-sitting job for Johnny Carson's sons and I went along. This was when they lived in New York and his sons were really not that much younger than we were. He was very nice to us & so was his (first) wife. He was so young then.... probably in his thirties.

Thanks for the questions, Pat and have a great day, everyone.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-11-2012, 09:46 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
[quote=PatsCats;25114326]Mornin’ all!

I met a woman last week who lives on an organic farm where she grows vegetables, and raises some small livestock, not too far from my house. She inspired the following questions.

Have you ever kept animals other than those thought of as pets (cows, bees, etc.)?.....Does a wild squirrel count? She lived out side but she did come in the house. I raised 3 baby squirrels once. My chickens were pets. I raised 2 baby Mallard ducks. Our pig was more like a dog. Some dogs were more like pigs.

If so, which animals have you kept?....All of them but the ducks flew away in the fall as nature intended.

Did you enjoy them, or were they more trouble than they were worth?.......No more trouble than DH.

If you did not keep any non-pet animals, which would you *like* to keep?.....I always wanted a pigmy goat. I love goats. They would however wind up pets with lots of hugs. (My chickens liked hugs)

Just for Fun:
What silly little talent do you have that sets you apart from others?......I'm the pied piper when it comes to kids. I'm taking 7 to the beach next Sunday. I need to rent a van. It doesn't matter where I am the kids find me.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever had a chance encounter with well-known people?.....Yes. There was a soap star who's mother I took care of at the big box hospital I worked at. I got an autographed picture for a coworker and a short note from her. She was very nice. I was in the same room talking to a well known Hispanic super star from the 70's and 80's who was in for an asthma attack. (I don't think so) I recently took care of a 50's crooner at my current hospital. I had no idea who he was until I went to You Tube and listened to him. I took care of a bear of a man and multi billionaire who owned a very famous mutual fund. He had a picture of his castle on the wall. He was an a---- but also dieing. I held his hand and we had a very meaningful conversation. I met Jim Stafford at the Frog Jumps in California. We recently met Ana Moura a Portuguese Fado superstar. We saw her in a very intimate venue. Our very good friend is a top attorney in Chicago and would be seated next to the late Johnny Cockran when ever he was on TV. He was a junior partner in Obama's neighbors firm until he and his wife started their own firm.

Today in History:
2010 Colton Harris-Moore, a 19-year-old fugitive known as the 'Barefoot Bandit' is captured by police in northern Eleuthera, The Bahamas
1984 Government orders air bags or seat belts would be required in cars by 1989
1969 David Bowie releases 'Space Oddity'
1950 17th All Star Baseball Game: NL wins 4-3 in 14 at Comiskey Park, Chicago Ted Williams breaks his elbow; 1st extra inning All Star Game
1924 Moslem-Hindu rebellion in Delhi
1905 Niagara Movement founded by W. E. B. Dubois
1892 U.S. Patent Office says J. W. Swan, rather than Thomas Edison, invented the electric light carbon for the incandescent lamp
1859 Charles Dickens' "A Tale Of Two Cities" is published
1789 U.S. Marine Corps created by an act of Congress

Today’s Word:
femme fatale
Pronunciation: (fem fuh-TAHL)
plural femmes fatales (fem fuh-TAHLZ)
Meaning: noun: An attractive and seductive woman, especially one who leads others into disaster. Etymology: From French, literally fatal woman. Earliest documented use: 1879.
Usage: "The film sees Depp's math teacher character falling for Jolie's femme fatale as she spins a web of mystery."
John Irish; A Minute With: Angelina Jolie; Reuters (UK); Dec 9, 2010.

Today is:
Bowdler's Day....
Day of the Five Billion.......
Cheer up the Lonely Day......OK
National Ranier Cherries Day......I look forward to those every summer.
Slurpee Day.....I still love those.
World Population Day....Too Many People.

Quote of the Day:
If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals. ~ J. K. Rowling ~

Have a great day everyone! Thank you and you to. I'm almost out of the hospital home vortex for 11 days. Come on Friday!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics