Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 05:15 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,800,231 times

Advertisements

Have you ever kept animals other than those thought of as pets (cows, bees, etc.)? I didn't, but when I came home from college I found my family had acquired a duck.

If so, which animals have you kept? Like I said - a duck

Did you enjoy them, or were they more trouble than they were worth? The duck was a pain in the neck. It made a lot of noise and used to chase the neighborhood cats and dogs.

If you did not keep any non-pet animals, which would you *like* to keep? I never felt the need for pets. I had kids. That was enough care & upkeep for me.

Just for Fun:
What silly little talent do you have that sets you apart from others? I can do voices and accents very well. I also caw at crows, bark at dogs and meaow at cats. They find it very confusing.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever had a chance encounter with well-known people? Not to speak to, but I did cross paths with Barbara Bush, Joey Bishop, and the actor William Smith, who was on the TV show Laredo at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 07:50 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,553,902 times
Hi, All. It's been so long and I just had to stop in and see all of you. Happy Humpday! 8) LFM

Today's Question(s): (This underline is for you rainroosty )
Have you ever kept animals other than those thought of as pets (cows, bees, etc.)?
As a kid growing up, any animal that found its way to our door was a pet, especially if it crossed paths with my DS. She had rabbits, salamanders, gerbils, hamsters, cats, dogs... Dad bought us ponies, then lambs. Every one of them have stories, but I won't bore you.

If so, which animals have you kept?Kept, as in provided food, shelter, and affection? All of them. As a source of anything other than fun, none.

Did you enjoy them, or were they more trouble than they were worth?Well, getting up in the morning in the middle of winter to shovel the snow out to the barn so I could feed and water them was less than fun. I enjoyed it, though.

Just for Fun:
What silly little talent do you have that sets you apart from others?
There's not much silliness to me. I was always the serious one, with no talent to speak of, but telling others what to do.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever had a chance encounter with well-known people?
I stood behind Tom Hanks at a coffee kiosk in Park City, once, but didn't know it was him. At the time I was just wishing the guy would shut up and take his latte so I could get mine and get going!

Today in History:
1859 Charles Dickens' "A Tale Of Two Cities" is published
Now THAT's noteworthy!

Today’s Word:
femme fatale
I grew up with her, she was my mother.

Today is:
Another day in paradise.

Quote of the Day:
If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals. ~ J. K. Rowling ~ Amen.

Have a great day everyone!
Smile, and the world wonders.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:03 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,583,826 times
[quote=PatsCats;25114326]Mornin’ all!

I met a woman last week who lives on an organic farm where she grows vegetables, and raises some small livestock, not too far from my house. She inspired the following questions.

Today's Question(s): (This underline is for you rainroosty )
Have you ever kept animals other than those thought of as pets (cows, bees, etc.)?

If so, which animals have you kept?

Did you enjoy them, or were they more trouble than they were worth?

If you did not keep any non-pet animals, which would you *like* to keep?

Just for Fun:

I have kept, Chickens, ducks , turkeys and geese. I have kept goats and rabbits.
I enjoyed very much keeping these critters.

I would like to keep llamas and alpacas. Also donkeys and horses.

My unusual talent is that I'm one of the best lip readers ever. On a test I scored over 90% correct which is almost the same as ordinary hearing ability. After reading lips for over 30 years I still always look at a person's mouth as they are speaking. I don't need to lip read any more because I got a cochlear implant and I can now hera PERFECTLY. It's just an amazing thing and I feel so blessed.

Bonus Question:

A few but because I'm not impressed by celebrity it did not mean a whole lot.

When I was about ten I met Gordie Howe at a shopping plaza in Toronto. He asked me, "would you like an autograph kid"? I said to him, "Why would I? My dad says that you are the dirtiest SOB that ever laced on a pair of skates". LOL

Old 07-12-2012, 05:05 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,136,400 times
Today's Question(s): (This underline is for you rainroosty ) HAH! You blocked off the underline with the sentence after it!

~ Yes, for short periods of time, for observation and studies.

If so, which animals have you kept?
~ Reptiles and amphibians found in the eastern U.S.A.. Too many to list!
Perhaps of interest to my fellow CDers would be the three Dusky Pigmy rattlesnakes I had in my apartment. Reason I had them is because my study books from the University of Gainesville clearly stated that the rattlesnakes will not eat in captivity! That turned out to be far from the truth. I conclude that they made such statement to discourage people keeping rattlesnakes....something that I wouldn't expect the University of Gainesville to do at all. You would expect to get the truth from sources you can trust. Blatant lies from a university and highly respected herpetologists?
Anyway, when I would get up in the night to go pee () you could hear the rattles sounding and you couldn't pinpoint their location so it was a bit of a harrowing experience, lol!

Did you enjoy them, or were they more trouble than they were worth?
~ I enjoyed them and I learned a lot.

If you did not keep any non-pet animals, which would you *like* to keep?
~ A goat or sheep.

Just for Fun:

~ I can make a beautiful breakfast, just the way you like it and everything timed perfectly.
Plates, settings....everything....all timed and great. Yayyyyyy! You'd like my breakfasts!

Bonus Question:

~ Yeah. We met Peter Noone in the park across the street one day. (He's the Herman in Herman's Hermits to you younger folks.) Great guy! We spent a good time with him - almost had him over for roast beef and Yorkshire pudding.....
I met Brooke Shields in the alley behind her dad's house in Palm Beach. I like her. She had a nice little red Volkswagen Cabriolet that was kept plugged in an electrical outlet when it wasn't being used.
I have been the painter for a long list of well known people in Palm Beach. Some of them I was the exclusive painter for, for years. Conrad Black, Peter Madoff, David Koch, Vic Damone, C.Z.Guest, Donald Trump's family members (adjacent to Mar-A-Lago), Curt Gowdy, Jim Clark, Roxanne Pulitzer and many more. Fun stuff, to me. You'd be surprised what you may overhear when you are the painter, painting in the same area of the house that they are, Lol! Juicy stuff!
Mrsrainroosty fills Ozzie Osbourne's prescriptions for him when he's in town....and Steven Tyler's, too.
We have a great picture of Steven Tyler with his arms around her and her coworker.

Today’s Word:
femme fatale
Pronunciation: (fem fuh-TAHL)
plural femmes fatales (fem fuh-TAHLZ)
Meaning: noun: An attractive and seductive woman, especially one who leads others into disaster.

the velvet undergound &nico - Femme Fatale - YouTube

Thank PatsCats! Terrific questions! HappyDay everybody!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics