Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 12:07 PM

44,371 posts, read 20,080,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
... and never come back to comment, on purpose, repeatedly???

So when posters come along with comments, the only people who respond are other posters. Never any idea why the OP made the thread to begin with.

I think these people are just trying to get brownie points with the mods and don't actually care about the subject.

Thoughts?

PS: If you do this and respond angrily, I have nothing to say to you. I'm just looking to see if I have the wrong idea here.
It bugs the heck out of me, too, JoanD'Arc. You're definitely not alone!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:47 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,933,573 times
Lots here to think about today. I can't speak to all that was posted but will mention that I get a laugh out of people who jump into the middle of a discussion without reading the previous posts, and also people who make all kinds of broad statements without reading the link(s). Honestly, it's just obvious they haven't done their homework.

I read a thread the other day and 2-3 times someone popped in to ask the same question that the OP answered more than once. sheesh. I don't know why they are not ignored sometimes, but I do recognize some people try to be kind to them.

Heck, I guess we all goof up occasionally! I know I have!

Anyway, the way I deal with constant offenders in the post-and-run group, I just block them because I don't want to bother with fly-by-nights!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 02:20 PM

13,643 posts, read 10,043,367 times
Quote:

So when posters come along with comments, the only people who respond are other posters. Never any idea why the OP made the thread to begin with.

I think these people are just trying to get brownie points with the mods and don't actually care about the subject.

Thoughts?

PS: If you do this and respond angrily, I have nothing to say to you. I'm just looking to see if I have the wrong idea here.
Sometimes I'm just giving people something to think about, I may want to get back to it, but don't want an argument. Sometimes things get way, way too hostile for me, and I'll leave it.

I don't get brownie points.

Dib dib dib....

Old 06-25-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Sometimes I'm just giving people something to think about, I may want to get back to it, but don't want an argument. Sometimes things get way, way too hostile for me, and I'll leave it.

I don't get brownie points.

Dib dib dib....
Thanks for the input! I guess some people don't mind that approach, and I can see backing off if the discussison gets hostile.

I'm probably extroverted enough that if someone starts a "conversation" that interests me, I'd like to explore the subject. For someone to just stop by to leave a post and walk away looks like disinterest in the subject from the thread starter. Why bother? Don't you want to exchange ideas? (Not critisizing, just curious.)

Old 06-25-2013, 04:19 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,210,990 times
Yep. Happens on Relationships a lot. It's like a double-whammy there, because not only do people feel like they wasted their time trying to help, then they're left hanging on the outcome!

Old 06-25-2013, 04:47 PM

13,643 posts, read 10,043,367 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input! I guess some people don't mind that approach, and I can see backing off if the discussison gets hostile.

I'm probably extroverted enough that if someone starts a "conversation" that interests me, I'd like to explore the subject. For someone to just stop by to leave a post and walk away looks like disinterest in the subject from the thread starter. Why bother? Don't you want to exchange ideas? (Not critisizing, just curious.)
More often than not, if I'm not the person that started the thread, but have just posted in reply, I don't get anyone replying to my post anyway, so I may as well just walk away. I'm often quite shocked if anyone answers me. I sometimes go back to have a look, but find the discussion went on as if I hadn't posted at all.

It seems you have to be part of that particular discussion group, to get noticed.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Yep. Happens on Relationships a lot. It's like a double-whammy there, because not only do people feel like they wasted their time trying to help, then they're left hanging on the outcome!
I've noticed that in the Relationships forum. I always think that if someone posts there and doesn't stick around, or if there are hundreds and hundreds of replies indicating that the OP just wants to bother the subject to death and not try to solve whatever problem there was, that they probably are either very young (not focused sometimes) or they need professional help or both. lol (not picking on those groups of people, it's just an impression)

Either way, I don't get involved in those discussions very often. Lots of times they aren't interested in taking anyone's advice, anyway!

Old 06-25-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
More often than not, if I'm not the person that started the thread, but have just posted in reply, I don't get anyone replying to my post anyway, so I may as well just walk away. I'm often quite shocked if anyone answers me. I sometimes go back to have a look, but find the discussion went on as if I hadn't posted at all.

It seems you have to be part of that particular discussion group, to get noticed.
I know what you mean about those "invisible" posts!! That has happened to me a bunch, and like you, I just move along. Sometimes a good conversation after that takes the sting away!!

I don't have any problem with the actual discussions unless they get nasty. It's the OPs who bother me with the post-and-run situation.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:56 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,491,686 times
Quote:

Thoughts?

YES, I have seen this same thing over and over. Someone posts one, sometimes 2 or 3 threads on the same subject or problem and then drop out of sight. Meanwhile more and more people are responding to it.

The other thing I find irritating are people that must spend tons of time on their computers coming up with these off the wall thread ideas. You will see TONS of threads that they have started, many of which mean little to nothing. It is as if they are just hoping to get more feedback points.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
YES, I have seen this same thing over and over. Someone ...

The other thing I find irritating are people that must spend tons of time on their computers coming up with these off the wall thread ideas. You will see TONS of threads that they have started, many of which mean little to nothing. It is as if they are just hoping to get more feedback points.
I think you are on to something there!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics