Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:38 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,070,158 times

Advertisements

Hump day greetings, kids! Scroll on down for Today's Tip.

HOW TO STORE POTATOES

Don't you hate it when you have to throw away potatoes that have gotten moldy or soft or stinky? It's so disappointing when they don't last. Yet, there are things you can do to ensure that your taters will last for weeks, and even months!

When you first bring your potatoes home, inspect them for soft spots, sprouts and mold. Separate any less-than-perfect potatoes from the others, as they are not suitable for long-term storage.

DO NOT wash the potatoes until you are ready to use them.

Keep potatoes in a paper bag, a mesh bag or a cardboard box. Good ventilation is important, so never store potatoes in an airtight container.

Store the potatoes in a cool, dry and dark place. The ideal temperature for prolonged storage is 50 to 60 degrees.

Check your potato supply regularly and remove any that are soft, shriveled or sprouted.

One more important tip - Store your potatoes away from other produce to prevent flavor transfer.

Source: Store Potatoes - How to Store Potatoes

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:43 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
Good tips Pam! So many times the potatoes have already been through long term storage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 08:49 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,070,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Good tips Pam! So many times the potatoes have already been through long term storage.
If you're really serious about long-term storage, you can do what P. Allen Smith does:
How to Store Potatoes | At Home With P. Allen Smith - YouTube I don't have that kind of space or time, but some people do.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:52 PM

72,418 posts, read 18,204,513 times
I love the yams! they taste better,do you store it the same way?

Old 06-25-2013, 11:12 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Good tips.
Quote: When you first bring your potatoes home, inspect them for soft spots, sprouts and mold. Separate any less-than-perfect potatoes from the others, as they are not suitable for long-term storage. Unquote.
I inspect them before I buy them and bring them home. I want nice freshly dug taters.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:09 AM

21,547 posts, read 8,729,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageLife View Post
I love the yams! they taste better,do you store it the same way?
I've heard that yams can only be stored for a few days. I don't think they keep as well as potatoes.

Thanks for the tips, Pam! I will definitely put them to use as I am tired of having to toss out soft potatoes and ones that have put out long, scary white roots.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:52 AM

36,421 posts, read 16,034,254 times
I'm just going to wait for the ones from the garden

Old 06-26-2013, 06:48 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,048,591 times
Great tips, Pam. I go through potatoes so fast they're not around long enough to go bad

Old 06-26-2013, 06:52 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,091,772 times
Love my potatoes, but at this time of the year around here, they seem to spoil quicker.... and wow does that smell horrible! I typically wash mine and let them dry thoroughly before putting them in the potato bin. I've always wondered if I could plant any which sprout!

Old 06-26-2013, 07:39 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,252,076 times
Those are good tips for taters! I grew up with potatoes in a meal several times a week. But I don't get them very often just for me. When I do it seems it's always too many and they're growing sprouts before I use them or toss them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics