Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 07:46 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,339,899 times

Advertisements

I don't care what people dress like. Fashions are ever-changing. Shakespeare dressed more flamboyantly than Elton John. What I see as an issue is how many adult men still live with their parents. Daughters move out earlier and more frequently than sons in my observation.

These guys don't live at home to take care of mama as in days of yore. Mama is taking care of them. If any young person honestly can't get a job, I have every sympathy for them. I know it's rough in this economy. But often they HAVE jobs. But they seem to spend their money on cars, nights out clubbing, other entertainment like concerts and sports events, vacations, and I suspect weed. So they don't have money for rent and utilities. Yet their sisters somehow manage.

I've know more than a few of these guys who are lounging at Mom's, being fed and having their laundry done, coming and going as they wish, until they are in their thirties. Then they marry women who have better jobs than they do and they continue to work unambitiously, or not at all. What's with a woman in her thirties who has worked her tail off to get ahead in a serious job and then she marries a guy who has no prospects, no benefits, and expensive toys?

I've seen it over and over from coast-to-coast and in every ethnicity. I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 08:10 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,248,769 times
Sounds like an opportunity. I'm looking forward to showing these younger women what a manly man can do for t...ow..ow..ow. (dangit, my wife was looking over my shoulder again)

Anyway, if you're still looking for a sausagefest in white collar jobs, look in tech.

Quote:
But they seem to spend their money on cars, nights out clubbing, other entertainment like concerts and sports events, vacations, and I suspect weed.
Well, at least some things never change :-)

Quote:
Yet their sisters somehow manage.
Well, it's a little easier when you get in the clubs for free and the men are buying you the drinks.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:15 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,261,420 times
Whoa, wait.
My husband hates driving my car. It's a smaller car, and he's a tall dude. His knees hit the dash. He works a long day at a physical job, so when we run errands he prefers I drive. So that makes him "my little bich"?
WOW.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:30 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,282,757 times
I blame Alan Alda.

Seriously though, there has been a change but I'm not concerned with it since in a generation or two it will have changed again into who-knows-what and I'll be gone so I won't care. But right now, yes, this is a real thing. My son and daughter could be poster children for what the OP is describing. I did know why it's this way but it's been like that since they were born.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:42 PM

420 posts, read 698,859 times
Yes the OP hit the nail on the head and that's something that I've been noticing in popular culture and in NYC for the past couple of years. Its a fact that males are becoming very passive, and to a point some things seem unnatural and out of place. Metrosexuality is just one aspect of it. A lot of things are going on in society that are making men lose traditional 'manliness' or has them afraid to behave like men. A lot of it has to do with changing societal norms and the women themselves.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:59 PM

102,251 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditi Jyoti View Post
I see so many guys under 30 and they appear a bit too feminine for my liking. And I am NOT into he-men by any stretch of the imagination but I see these young White guys flitting around (hetero, to be clear) and they seem...soft. The way they walk, the messenger bag, the clothes, their hairstyles...
I think this is very cool! Boys are now allowed to express a much broader spectrum of personality traits than they were before. The macho straight jacket is off, and guys are free to be whoever they want to be. Some have told me it's so liberating! And these are wonderful guys to be with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditi Jyoti View Post
I was observing in a preschool and the kids were playing on the playground. A girl spotted an earthworm and a group swarmed around her, fascinated. The boys seemed indifferent And it was a GIRL who actually picked the thing up and threw it in a puddle!
When I was a kid, I was really into garden snakes and salamanders. On the school playground I was always playing adventure games with the boys. The girls' games were too boring. So this is nothing new, but maybe now it's more common. Kids in our culture are finally becoming free to reach their full potential, and express both masculine and feminine sides of their personalities. This is a very healthy development.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-15-2013 at 09:38 PM..

Old 08-15-2013, 09:00 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,881,808 times
The original poster brings up a point that isn't new............some females prefer guys who are not sensitive, or generally "nice guys", they prefer the bad boys instead. I can remember even when I was in High School in the early 60's discussing this with my buddies. We couldn't understand why a lot of the girls in school passed up guys who would treat them well and respect them, and they gravitated toward the guys who treated them like crap. And then they wondered why they got their hearts broken.

I have actually had girls and, later on, women in my life tell me that I am "too nice of a guy." They seem to be telling me that by being nice to them I was being somehow boring...........uninteresting. In fact, I worked with a girl like that. Her boyfriend treated her like crap and abused her and after a while they broke up. She started dating a really nice guy who had a good job and who treated her with respect. One day when I asked her how she liked him she said "I don't know, he is pretty boring."

The irony is that EVERY woman tells you they want to meet a nice guy, but lots of times they really don't mean it.

Don

Old 08-15-2013, 09:15 PM

280 posts, read 604,448 times
Think about this. I just came back from Europe, and must say, women there were more feminine and sexy. When I say feminine and sexy I mean, the sort of romantic, and very uniquely charming. There were no women running around in sport workout gear, instead many wore heels, their hair did not look perfect, and some actually had a fragrance to their aura.

I believe that women are not as feminine anymore as they used to. Think about the 50's. Women were so lovely! My theory is that man in turn, became more feminine instead. Many women seem to have harsh expressions on their faces, boring flip flops, and are always in a rush. How do such women affect men over time? My theory stands. The more masculine women become, the more feminine men will become. Perhaps it's the natures way of evolving us. Scary.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:27 PM

102,251 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
I believe that women are not as feminine anymore as they used to. Think about the 50's. Women were so lovely! My theory is that man in turn, became more feminine instead. Many women seem to have harsh expressions on their faces, boring flip flops, and are always in a rush. How do such women affect men over time? My theory stands. The more masculine women become, the more feminine men will become. Perhaps it's the natures way of evolving us. Scary.
Women are now expressing a masculine side they weren't allowed to before. Men are expressing a feminine side that they weren't allowed to before. IMO this leads to better-balanced personalities, rather than one-sided personalities. Diversity is infinite, and enriches us all. Those who are inclined toward the traditional roles are free to do that as well. This is the growth and maturation of American society.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:31 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,261,420 times
Reminds me of this meme I see on the internet.
Shows a photo of a movie start, say like Cary Grant or John Wayne.
Then a photo of someone today like a Justin Beiber type.
Says "Men... what happened?"

LOL I get it...

But I also agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Women are now expressing a masculine side they weren't allowed to before. Men are expressing a feminine side that they weren't allowed to before. IMO this leads to better-balanced personalities, rather than one-sided personalities. Diversity is infinite, and enriches us all. Those who are inclined toward the traditional roles are free to do that as well. This is the growth and maturation of American society.
I like that we are getting away with the traditional roles that we were forced into many decades ago. The thought that men could only do this, or women could only do that, etc. Men can't show emotion, women can't have that job, etc. Not being allowed to express yourself a certain way or have a certain hobby because of your gender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics