Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:46 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,100,661 times

Advertisements

@rdlr....what a gorgeous place. How exciting you have get togethers at your place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 07:49 AM

54,500 posts, read 33,923,221 times

Beautiful pictures as always, and I like that picture in particular.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:57 AM

44,695 posts, read 61,856,330 times
We occasionally go away to events, We don't hold any here. Thank goodness the relatives are thousands of miles away.

Note to Jezer: Those pictures yesterday and today were quite 'chumming' as you say.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:01 AM

9,755 posts, read 14,328,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
@rdlr....what a gorgeous place. How exciting you have get togethers at your place.
Thank you, rural chick!
Most all of our parties are for people in our town - not relatives, but those being closest to us in many ways. It's small town living, with less than 1,400 people living here.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:26 AM

44,411 posts, read 20,156,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post

Have you ever had trouble finding a suitable place for some kind of function? Maybe it's a party, a family reunion, even perhaps for your wedding?

Tell us your stories, because I'm nosy and love to hear them .

The POTD is;

Where shall we have that event?
Good peeve, Jeezer. Yes, it's sometimes difficult to find the right venue for an event. Most are way too big for any event I'd be putting on, and the smaller venues are too small. Some places are too formal and some too casual. It's hard to find a happy medium!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:39 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,389,483 times
I was the emcee for a speech contest years ago. The club who arranged the location forget to check out one little thing:

It was in a hotel assembly room that was divided in half by a long accordion door.

So off we go with the contest and suddenly there was noise from the microphone in the adjoining room.
"This bull, ladies and gentlemen, is a proven stud." That kind of thing went on and on while our poor contestants were trying to give their speeches. It continued throughout our speech contest. It turned out that a cattle auction was going on in the room on the other side of the accordion door from us. A big screen TV had videos of the cattle and an auctioneer was selling the cattle. Only in Texas.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:07 PM

24,574 posts, read 26,133,940 times
Where shall we have that event?

Seems to be a ongoing issue for us as well. We are in charge of 4 yearly functions for the organization we belong too. Some functions are small, others are large. As funds are tight, it is always a problem finding a suitable venue to fit our needs.

More great pix.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:48 PM

16,722 posts, read 17,498,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
We occasionally go away to events, We don't hold any here. Thank goodness the relatives are thousands of miles away.

Note to Jezer: Those pictures yesterday and today were quite 'chumming' as you say.
I'm going to have to give you a lesson in colloquial English.

I was chuffed (pleased) about the photos.

I don't know a word chumming, but chum means friend.

I'd love to go to that peach festival!

Old 01-20-2014, 01:08 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,841,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Never a problem here, as our events are either in our postage-stamp front yard and on the front porch, or in our large back yard, during Spring, Summer and Fall. Giving Parties is my FAVORITE thing! I love inviting people, decorating, cooking, preparing, serving, and watching our guests enjoy themselves. Sit still, relax, enjoy, and I will serve you! ...Let me take your empty plate....here's a clean one....more shrimp cocktail is on the way, hors d'oeuvres are toasting in the oven.....the bartender on the porch just churned up a fresh blender of frozen drinks...

I've always wanted to have a neighbor just like you. I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.......

Imagine how much fun it would be, especially on Halloween.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:39 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,829,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Never a problem here, as our events are either in our postage-stamp front yard and on the front porch, or in our large back yard, during Spring, Summer and Fall. Giving Parties is my FAVORITE thing! I love inviting people, decorating, cooking, preparing, serving, and watching our guests enjoy themselves. Sit still, relax, enjoy, and I will serve you! ...Let me take your empty plate....here's a clean one....more shrimp cocktail is on the way, hors d'oeuvres are toasting in the oven.....the bartender on the porch just churned up a fresh blender of frozen drinks...
Absolutely beautiful, rdlr, both your party setup and your attitude, what a great neighbor you are! How lucky they are to have you in their 'hood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics