Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 12:18 AM

16,701 posts, read 17,474,142 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers.

I hope that you all had a lovely weekend. It was nice that it was almost totally dry here- boy do we need that!

The idea for today's peeve comes courtesy of Miss J!

In addition to her language studies she runs a blog and meets up with fellow bloggers from time to time. She is organising the next get together and is trying to find a suitable venue.

They're after a private room where they can chat, exchange ideas, and have cocktails!

She wants somewhere easy for people to get to from the railway station, and preferably somewhere that doesn't charge for the room.

Have you ever had trouble finding a suitable place for some kind of function? Maybe it's a party, a family reunion, even perhaps for your wedding?

Tell us your stories, because I'm nosy and love to hear them .

The POTD is;

Where shall we have that event?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 12:19 AM

Pootling through the Forest at the weekend;

By the way, if you didn't see yesterday's photos go have a look- I'm quite chuffed (pleased) with them.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:38 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,819,064 times
Still lots of water there, Jezer, glad to hear it's drying up for ya... the roof in that second photo looks completely water-logged, hope it holds up! Oh, and I was quite "chuffed" with your photos from yesterday, too, nice job indeed!

Sorry, can't be much help with you on today's peeve, it's been a long while since I've had to arrange a group meeting out. The one's we do have are at the same restaurant or at the church or city halls, so there's no extra effort involved. The biggest peeve that I remember is trying to satisfy everyone's take on what day, place and time it should be... almost an impossible task if you listen to too much input!

Old 01-20-2014, 01:15 AM

Hi BstYet2Be.

I think that the thatch on that house is fine.

What's happened is that it has a new ridge of thatch which needs replacing more often than the main roof, so it looks lighter in colour than the roof.

The old school house is on the left of the shot.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:33 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,819,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Hi BstYet2Be.

I think that the thatch on that house is fine.

What's happened is that it has a new ridge of thatch which needs replacing more often than the main roof, so it looks lighter in colour than the roof.

The old school house is on the left of the shot.
Thanks for the explanation, I've not seen a thatch roof before except on TV!

Old 01-20-2014, 06:26 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,096,534 times
I feel for Miss J. - we have a group of classmates which meet for coffee and such monthly. We are always looking for a meeting place. Sometimes we go to a coffee house but those have lots of internet users and loud talking persons.

Now we always look for a restaurant which has a private dining room. Usually if there are enough of us, they don't charge for the room. That way we can have food, drinks, etc.

When our youngest daughter got married, what a headache. I booked the party venue at the American Legion, and sent them the deposit money and when I called to ask a question, they had double booked and mine was the last one to book so I had to find another reception place, just 4 months before the wedding. It took them 3 months to return my money as they just weren't sure that I had paid (even with my copy of my check I sent them). Oh my!! But it turned out ok as I found a reasonably priced and half-way clean place.

Recently a party room closed near here and the owners skipped town, leaving an unpaid mortgage, unpaid utilities, unpaid state taxes - and a three years worth of persons with booked weddings and no other availability of reception places. I would hate to have that happen to me!

Old 01-20-2014, 06:42 AM

9,742 posts, read 14,302,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Good morning peevers.
Have you ever had trouble finding a suitable place for some kind of function? Maybe it's a party, a family reunion, even perhaps for your wedding?
Tell us your stories, because I'm nosy and love to hear them .
The POTD is;
Where shall we have that event?
Never a problem here, as our events are either in our postage-stamp front yard and on the front porch, or in our large back yard, during Spring, Summer and Fall. Giving Parties is my FAVORITE thing! I love inviting people, decorating, cooking, preparing, serving, and watching our guests enjoy themselves. Sit still, relax, enjoy, and I will serve you! ...Let me take your empty plate....here's a clean one....more shrimp cocktail is on the way, hors d'oeuvres are toasting in the oven.....the bartender on the porch just churned up a fresh blender of frozen drinks...

Last edited by rdlr; 01-20-2014 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: Spell Check

Old 01-20-2014, 06:58 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,686,846 times
Good morning peevers.

Jezer......I love the thatched roof. Great pictures.

Your thread reminds me when we were looking for a venue for my daughters wedding reception. I remember oh so well the place we went to see thinking it was way to expensive and we may not be able to afford it.
We walked into the place and my daughters face lit up. She was in awe.
Turns out she was getting married on Memorial Day weekend and they gave us a huge discount. It was like a miracle. After looking at places for a few month......that we finally found her dream place and we could afford it. It was a nice day and brings back memories or that day together sharing her dream.

RDLR....I thought that house looked familiar. LOL. Oh right I go by there at times. Maybe this year I will make the peach festival.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:03 AM

9,742 posts, read 14,302,535 times
EM - Things always turn out, don't they? Good for you having such a memorable day! Life is about memories, isn't it?

Parties, Parties, Parties!!! I love giving them outside when weather permits! Yes, do come!

Old 01-20-2014, 07:16 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,686,846 times
hi RDLR...........yes they do and they work out the way they are supposed to. If only we could remember that in the mist of the anxiety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics