Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 11:37 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times

Advertisements

I can remember a forum that was hosted by a local TV station here, back in 2005, if I remember correctly, two of the posters who didn't agree on a few things decided to meet at a specified location in Phoenix so they could maybe settle things... I recall only one of those guys showed up, then a day or two later, the guy who claims to have been at the agreed location, posted a message and called the other person a coward, among other things. If I remember correctly, the other person did not respond to his posts, and not long after that, the site was shut down. I had a feeling the reason for that was because of situations like that, which obviously could have turned into something more hostile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 12:15 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I've learned that you can't change the haters any more then the religious zealots can save the heathens. It's better to respect all opinions and let everyone get on with their own life as they see fit. Once tolerance is a learned habit the rest is just plain fun.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:04 PM

560 posts, read 785,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I learned that if a forum member complains repeatedly about a problem they have, and you offer what you think is helpful advice because you've had the same problem, the complainer might respond by attacking you in a nasty PM.

I've learned that you have to be very careful about the tone of a post and the words you use because some people take everything literally and don't understand satire or irony.

I've learned that no matter how bad I think my life is, someone else has it much worse.

I've learned that there are a lot of kind, warm-hearted, bright, witty and insightful people on this forum whom I may never meet in person, but my life is better for having "met" them online.
Yep. Hit the nail on the head Bayarea. Moderator Nancy from the Mississippi Forum said, "Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."

Old 01-30-2014, 02:55 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post

Actually, I can repeat what most other posters here have already said, there are a lot of good people in most forums, but that can change your perspective on things if you visit the Political forums, on any web-site, not just City Data's. There are some people, on both sides of the political spectrum I might add, that cannot seem to have a civil debate. I hate to see what would happen if some of those people actually gathered at some place.. I can think of only one word.. BRAWL..
Let's get ready to rumble...

Ring announcer - Michael Buffer - Let's get ready to rumble ! - YouTube

Old 01-30-2014, 10:40 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I've learned that you can't change the haters any more then the religious zealots can save the heathens. It's better to respect all opinions and let everyone get on with their own life as they see fit. Once tolerance is a learned habit the rest is just plain fun.
Exactly.

On the other hand, maybe it would be fun for City-Data to sponsor Conservative v. Liberal Mud-Wrestling. Because that's all that goes on in those political forums anyway, right? Mudslinging. I'd pay to see that. Come on, you internet bullies, let's see how tough you really are!

Old 01-30-2014, 10:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
a great deal. best said in the film "6th sense"
people hear and see just what they want.
the reality gap in this country is severe.
the gap in perception of reality of posters is frightening.
most of us have strayed very very far from the truth
why? bek it is to our advantage to do so.
if i had not read CDF since 2007, i would not know this.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:51 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
That I hate my own typos and should re read my posts more closely!

And how a complete stranger from, say, Canada can completely change
my LIFE by his posts and our conversations....one little ole person can reach
across the Internet and effect my heart and soul.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:00 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I learned there are an awful lot of people with no sense of humor. You could throw a few Smilies in your post to indicate you are kidding and whoosh, it still blows right over their head. And forget hyperbole to make a point. No matter how outlandish the post, they still don't get you are pulling their leg.

I also learned that the Internet has made me a crummy speller.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:56 AM

44,347 posts, read 20,047,057 times
I've learned that I was extremely naïve about people before I came to City-Data.

On the positive side, I've learned to have even more compassion for those less fortunate than I, especially those battling terrible illnesses.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:42 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Exactly.

On the other hand, maybe it would be fun for City-Data to sponsor Conservative v. Liberal Mud-Wrestling. Because that's all that goes on in those political forums anyway, right? Mudslinging. I'd pay to see that. Come on, you internet bullies, let's see how tough you really are!

There's a political forum. No seriously I never visit there nor the religious forum. Some things are better left unsaid. Life is serious enough with out turning a fun distraction like City Data into something more serious then it needs to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics