Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 05:43 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,044,492 times

Advertisements

Howdy y’all
Welcome to the weekend

Let’s dive right in and take a look at. . . .

Today's Questions:
Today is the 31st anniversary of the release of the Apple Macintosh with its 9-inch monochrome
display, 128 KB of memory and a 3.5" slot for a floppy disk. Just amazing how far technology has
advanced over the last 3 decades. . .

Are you a PC or a Mac kind-of guy (or gal)?

What year did you buy your first computer?

Did you take computer classes or just read a user manual and essentially teach yourself (or a combo of both)?

Bonus Questions:
Today's Bonus Questions came to us via something . . . by our expert at . . . in Central Arizona

Sometimes we have to do things more than once to get them right - tell us about something you had to
do more than once, such as a task in a Do-It-Yourself project, or a work-related task.

How many times did you have re-do it to get it just right?

In cases when you didn't realize that something needed to be redone until you thought you were
finished, how did you realize that there was a problem? Choose from whichever applies below:

- The final product didn't look or work right?
- Somebody told you about it?
- You redid it for that "New and Improved" reason?
- You redid it because you were bored and you wanted to kill time?
- Other?

Today in History:

1848 - James Marshall finds gold in Sutter's Mill in Coloma, California
1902 - Denmark sells Virgin Islands to USA
1935 - 1st canned beer, "Krueger Cream Ale," is sold by Kruger Brewing Co
1958 - After warming to 100,000,000 degrees, 2 light atoms are bashed together to create a heavier
atom, resulting in 1st man-made nuclear fusion
1964 - 24th Amendment to U.S. Constitution goes into effect and state voting rights could not be denied
due to failure to pay taxes
1985 - 15th Space Shuttle (51-C) Mission-Discovery 3 is launched
1986 - Voyager 2 makes 1st fly-by of Uranus (81,593 km), finds new moons
2013 - European Bioinformatics Institute scientists have successfully stored audio and text on fragments
of DNA, and retrieved them with 99.99% accuracy - the first time in history DNA has been used for data storage
2014 – Today in 2014 marked the 30th anniversary of the release of the Apple Macintosh; the computer
had a 9-inch monochrome display, 128 KB of memory and a 3.5" slot for a floppy disk

Quote of the Day:

Have a great weekend and

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 05:53 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,512,977 times
Today's Questions:
Today is the 31st anniversary of the release of the Apple Macintosh with its 9-inch monochrome
display, 128 KB of memory and a 3.5" slot for a floppy disk. Just amazing how far technology has

Are you a PC or a Mac kind-of guy (or gal)? Cheap computer person

What year did you buy your first computer? 1980 Trash 80

Did you take computer classes or just read a user manual and essentially teach yourself (or a combo of both)? Computer Classes Community College -- College- Numerous Employers sent me to many schools on programing and automation of industrial machines since the mid 70's plus the curiosity of the "Tin Man " School of hard knocks... I am metal and metal does not do well with electricity .. as in " Hard Knocks"

Bonus Questions:

I am all ways on a perpetual learning curve... once - twice ----- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZgHR4cKaek

Old 01-23-2015, 06:32 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,690,410 times
[quote=JustJoy; Howdy y’all
Welcome to the weekend

Today's Questions:

Are you a PC or a Mac kind-of guy (or gal)? PC

What year did you buy your first computer? About 8 - 9 years ago.

Did you take computer classes or just read a user manual and essentially teach yourself (or a combo of both)? I know very little. My kids hooked me up and I wing it.

Bonus Questions:
Today's Bonus Questions came to us via something . . . by our expert at . . . in Central Arizona

Sometimes we have to do things more than once to get them right - tell us about something you had to
do more than once, such as a task in a Do-It-Yourself project, or a work-related task. Had to straighten out some bookkeeping that my boss messed up.

How many times did you have re-do it to get it just right? 2 times.

In cases when you didn't realize that something needed to be redone until you thought you were finished, how did you realize that there was a problem? Choose from whichever applies below:

- Other?

Today in History:

1958 - After warming to 100,000,000 degrees, 2 light atoms are bashed together to create a heavier
1964 - 24th Amendment to U.S. Constitution goes into effect and state voting rights could not be denied
2013 - European Bioinformatics Institute scientists have successfully stored audio and text on fragments
of DNA, and retrieved them with 99.99% accuracy - the first time in history DNA has been used for data storage
2014 – Today in 2014 marked the 30th anniversary of the release of the Apple Macintosh; the computer
had a 9-inch monochrome display, 128 KB of memory and a 3.5" slot for a floppy disk

Quote of the Day:

Have a great weekend and

[/QUOTE]

Stay safe and warm, people.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:38 PM

11,365 posts, read 9,278,159 times
I always had a PC desktop.

Bought first computer in 1999 but I lived in a housemate situation in the mid-90s and he had one. I could use it whenever I wanted.

I first used a computer about 1994 and I was taught how to use it at a job I had at the time.

Thanks, Joy.

Hope everyone has a good Saturday!

Old 01-23-2015, 06:42 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,375,811 times
Today's Questions:
Are you a PC or a Mac kind-of guy (or gal)? Microsoft PC
What year did you buy your first computer? 1993
Did you take computer classes or just read a user manual and essentially teach yourself (or a combo of both)?
Combo of OJT, on the job training at work from the late 80s, and just diving in at home a few years later.

Bonus Questions:
do more than once, such as a task in a Do-It-Yourself project, or a work-related task.
I can't think of anything specific. Many times at work or just life in general.

How many times did you have re-do it to get it just right? However many times it takes.

In cases when you didn't realize that something needed to be redone until you thought you were
finished, how did you realize that there was a problem? Choose from whichever applies below:
- The final product didn't look or work right? Mulching leaves.
- Somebody told you about it? Many times.
- You redid it for that "New and Improved" reason? Beats old and lousy.
- You redid it because you were bored and you wanted to kill time? Straightening up anything.
- Other? Just to.

Last edited by bjh; 01-23-2015 at 07:02 PM..

Old 01-23-2015, 06:53 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Today's Questions:

Are you a PC or a Mac kind-of guy (or gal)? Don't care much for Mac & Cheese so am Political Correct.

What year did you buy your first computer? 1992

Did you take computer classes or just read a user manual and essentially teach yourself (or a combo of both)? Both.

Bonus Questions:

Sometimes we have to do things more than once to get them right - tell us about something you had to do more than once, such as a task in a Do-It-Yourself project, or a work-related task.

How many times did you have re-do it to get it just right? Many times, you know us men don't follow instructions, it's part of the code, like explained in yesterday's QOTD. :

In cases when you didn't realize that something needed to be redone until you thought you were finished, how did you realize that there was a problem? Choose from whichever applies below:

- Other?

JJ

Old 01-23-2015, 07:41 PM

38,875 posts, read 22,857,182 times
Today's Questions:
The first computer with a mouse I used was a Mac at a large insurance company where I was employed back in the mid 90s.

Are you a PC or a Mac kind-of guy (or gal)? PC.

What year did you buy your first computer? It was actually a Christmas gift to me back in 1998. The first one I actually bought new was in October of 2000.

Did you take computer classes or just read a user manual and essentially teach yourself (or a combo of both)? Combination of on-the-job training, community college classes and taking self-paced tutorials.

Bonus Questions:

do more than once, such as a task in a Do-It-Yourself project, or a work-related task. Work-related task at a previous job.

How many times did you have re-do it to get it just right? Just one time.

- Somebody told you about it? <--My supervisor at the time informed me.
- Other?

Have a great weekend. Happy Saturday!

Old 01-23-2015, 08:01 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
Howdy y’all
Welcome to the weekend

Today's Questions:

Are you a PC or a Mac kind-of guy (or gal)?
PC !!

What year did you buy your first computer?
Tandy for my son.

Bonus Questions:

Oh I'd have to think a while on that..
How many times did you have re-do it to get it just right?

- Other?
I was seeking perfection...OCD thing.

Today in History:

Quote of the Day:

Have a great weekend and

Thanks Joy!

Last edited by SATX56; 01-23-2015 at 09:04 PM..

Old 01-23-2015, 08:25 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times

Today's Questions:

Are you a PC or a Mac kind-of guy (or gal)? PC

What year did you buy your first computer? Very early 1980s.

Did you take computer classes or just read a user manual and essentially teach yourself (or a combo of both)? Combination. My local field office brought a PC into our office in the early 1980s and everybody was afraid to use it so I dived in. The OS was DOS.

After moving to headquarters, my agency sent me to several
PC repair and operation classes because we did not yet have any IT people. Over nearly the next decade I built a database to allow the agency to quickly
correlate their national-level program areas to Federally protected species and habitats. That work won me a substantial monetary award.

Now I just track ancestors with genealogical software and piddle around on C-D with my PC.

Bonus Questions:

Sometimes we have to do things more than once to get them right - tell us about something you had to do more than once, such as a task in a Do-It-Yourself project, or a work-related task.

How many times did you have re-do it to get it just right? I always have to do things at least twice anymore. Nowadays, I seem to tear up more than I repair.

In cases when you didn't realize that something needed to be redone until you thought you werefinished, how did you realize that there was a problem? Choose from whichever applies below:

- Other?

Wishing everyone a great weekend.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:47 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,874,311 times

Today's Questions:

Are you a PC or a Mac kind-of guy (or gal)? Windows PC

What year did you buy your first computer? 1983 or 84 it was a TI-99/4A

A number of different related classes in the military and my first employer provided a good deal of training over the years. Sometimes just reading the manual helped with special related systems, other times I took classes in the evening after work.

Bonus Questions:

OMG, there were several extreme work related issues over the years that required repair, unfortunately the trouble was intermittent and continued for a much longer time then most normal repairs. All logical corrective measures failed to fix the problems, then it was simply a long tooth pulling means of isolation trial and error that finally fixed each of the different problems. Intermittent was the killer of these troubles because you didn't know if what you did corrected it or not...

How many times did you have re-do it to get it just right? Don't ask!

- The final product didn't look or work right? <<<<--------- Yes
- Somebody told you about it?<<<<--------- Also Yes
- Other?

Today in History:

Quote of the Day:

Have a great weekend and
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics