Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 10:32 PM

21,598 posts, read 8,767,056 times

Advertisements

Good morning and welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, February 1, 2015.

If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Aquarius. Some famous people who share your birthday are film directors John Ford and George Pal; actors Clark Gable, Garrett Morris, Brandon Lee, Sherilynn Fenn, Billy Mumy and Sherman Hemsley; poet Langston Hughes; gospel singer George Beverly Shea; Russian president Boris Yeltsin, singers Don Everly and Harry Styles; Monty Python comedian Terry Jones; tennis star Elena Makarova, celebrity offspring Lisa Marie Presley and artist Takashi Murakami.

Today’s Question:
Chinese New Year begins later this month. 2015 is the Year of the Sheep. According to Chinese Astrology, the year you were born tells a lot more than your age. I was born in the Year of the Rat. What sign were you born under? If you don’t already know, here’s a way to find out: http://www.astrology.com/chinese-astrology

How do you keep track of dates? Do you have a wall calendar, a desk calendar, a calendar program on your computer or on your phone, a combination of these or something else?

Bonus Question:
What are some low-tech sports or games you enjoy that don’t require electricity or computers? Some examples would be card games, croquet, darts, board games, jigsaw puzzles, crosswords, horseshoes, Frisbee, volleyball, etc.

Just For Fun:
How far is it to your nearest movie theater/cinema?

What was the last movie you saw that you liked (either on TV or in a theater)?

Today in History:
1327 – Teenaged Edward III is crowned King of England, but the nation is ruled by his mother Queen Isabella and her lover Roger Mortimer.
1587 – Queen Elizabeth I signs death warrant for Mary, Queen of Scots.
1861 – Texas secedes from the Union.
1862 – Julia Ward Howe publishes “Battle Hymn of the Republic.”
1884 – First volume of the Oxford English Dictionary, A-Ant, published.
1887 – Harvey Wilcox, a real estate tycoon from Kansas, sells lots in a 120-acre tract of land that he subdivides. His wife names it “Hollywood.”
1896 – Puccini’s opera La Boheme premieres in Turin, Italy.
1898 – First automobile policy written by Travelers Insurance Co.
1902 – Chinese Empress Tzu-Hsi forbids the binding of women’s feet.
1920 – Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) formed as Royal Northwest Mounted Police merge with Dominion Police.
1923 – Fascists Voluntary Militia forms in Italy under Benito Mussolini.
1933 – German Parliament dissolves.
1934 – Austrian Chancellor Dollfuss dissolves all political parties but his own.
1940 – Russia begins new offensive against Finland.
1940 – NBC performs the first inter-city television broadcast (New York City to Schenectady, N.Y.)
1946 – Republic of Hungary proclaimed, with Zoltán Tildy as president.
1949 – RCA releases its first-ever 45 rpm singles, which are color-coded by genre (black for popular, red for classical, green for country, yellow for children’s, light blue for international, cerise for rhythm and blues, and midnight blue for popular classical).
1950 – U.S.S.R. demands condemnation of Emperor Hirohito for war crimes.
1951 – First X-ray moving picture process demonstrated.
1953 – Flooding in Netherlands kills 1,835.
1958 – First U.S. satellite, Explorer I, launched.
1959 – Swiss men vote against voting rights for women.
1959 – Texas Instruments requests patent of IC (integrated circuit).
1960 – Extreme right-wing rebels in Algiers surrender.
1964 – Beatles’ “I Want To Hold Your Hand” becomes their first #1 hit, stays #1 for 7 weeks.
1968 – Richard Nixon announces plans to run for U.S. presidency.
1972 – Kuala Lumpur becomes a city by royal charter granted by the King of Malaysia.
1978 – Harriet Tubman is first black woman honored on a U.S. postage stamp.
1978 – Director Roman Polanski skips bail and flees to France after pleading guilty to charges of engaging in sex with a 13-year-old girl.
1979 – Kidnapped heiress Patricia Hearst released from prison after serving two years of a seven-year sentence for bank robbery.

1982 – Late Night With David Letterman debuts on NBC TV.
1984 – China and Netherlands resume diplomatic relations.
1987 – 163 day strike against farm equipment maker Deere & Co. ends; workers accept wage freeze.
1991 – Afghanistan/Pakistan hit by earthquake, 1,200 die.
1994 – Large meteorite falls into the Pacific Ocean near Kosrae Island in Micronesia.
2003 – Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrates during reentry into the Earth’s atmosphere, killing all seven astronauts aboard.
2004 – Singer Janet Jackson’s breast is exposed during the Super Bowl half-time show, resulting in U.S. broadcasters adopting a stronger adherence to FCC censorship guidelines.
2005 – Canada becomes the fourth country to sanction same-sex marriage.

Word of the Day:
penultimate\pi-ˈnəl-tə-mət\adjective

1. occurring immediately before the last one: next to the last.
2. of or relating to the next to the last syllable in a word. <a penultimate accent>

”Belle was the penultimate person to die, just hours before a slave, fifty-three-year-old Alba, wandered in delirium away from his cabin and sat down to death in front of Carlyle's airing-out cottage.” —Edward P. Jones, The Known World, 2003
·
Quote of the Day:
“I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” – Thomas A. Edison

Today is
National Freedom Day (U.S.A.)
Car Insurance Day
Change Your Password Day
National Girls and Women in Sports Day

Last edited by Bayarea4; 01-31-2015 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 10:33 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,959,371 times
Good morning and welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, February 1, 2015.
If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Aquarius. Some famous people who share your birthday are film directors John Ford and George Pal; actors Clark Gable, Garrett Morris, Brandon Lee, Sherilynn Fenn, Billy Mumy and Sherman Hemsley; poet Langston Hughes; gospel singer George Beverly Shea; Russian president Boris Yeltsin, singers Don Everly and Harry Styles; Monty Python comedian Terry Jones; tennis star Elena Makarova, celebrity offspring Lisa Marie Presley and artist Takashi Murakami.

Today’s Question:
Chinese New Year begins later this month. 2015 is the Year of the Sheep. According to Chinese Astrology, the year you were born tells a lot more than your age. I was born in the Year of the Rat. What sign were you born under? If you don’t already know, here’s a way to find out: Chinese Zodiac - Chinese Astrology Signs - Astrology.com

How do you keep track of dates? Do you have a wall calendar, a desk calendar, a calendar program on your computer or on your phone, a combination of these or something else?

Bonus Question:
What are some low-tech sports or games you enjoy that don’t require electricity or computers? Some examples would be card games, croquet, darts, board games, jigsaw puzzles, crosswords, horseshoes, Frisbee, volleyball, etc.

Just For Fun:
About a mile.

Today in History:
1327 – Teenaged Edward III is crowned King of England, but the nation is ruled by his mother Queen Isabella and her lover Roger Mortimer.
1887 – Harvey Wilcox, a real estate tycoon from Kansas, sells lots in a 120-acre tract of land that he subdivides. His wife names it “Hollywood.”
1920 – Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) formed as Royal Northwest Mounted Police merge with Dominion Police.
1934 – Austrian Chancellor Dollfuss dissolves all political parties but his own.
1940 – NBC performs the first inter-city television broadcast (New York City to Schenectady, N.Y.)
1949 – RCA releases its first-ever 45 rpm singles, which are color-coded by genre (black for popular, red for classical, green for country, yellow for children’s, light blue for international, cerise for rhythm and blues, and midnight blue for popular classical).
1964 – Beatles’ “I Want To Hold Your Hand” becomes their first #1 hit, stays #1 for 7 weeks.
1972 – Kuala Lumpur becomes a city by royal charter granted by the King of Malaysia.
1978 – Director Roman Polanski skips bail and flees to France after pleading guilty to charges of engaging in sex with a 13-year-old girl.
1979 – Kidnapped heiress Patricia Hearst released from prison after serving two years of a seven-year sentence for bank robbery.

1987 – 163 day strike against farm equipment maker Deere & Co. ends; workers accept wage freeze.
1994 – Large meteorite falls into the Pacific Ocean near Kosrae Island in Micronesia.
2003 – Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrates during reentry into the Earth’s atmosphere, killing all seven astronauts aboard.
2004 – Singer Janet Jackson’s breast is exposed during the Super Bowl half-time show, resulting in U.S. broadcasters adopting a stronger adherence to FCC censorship guidelines.

Word of the Day:

2. of or relating to the next to the last syllable in a word. <a penultimate accent>

”Belle was the penultimate person to die, just hours before a slave, fifty-three-year-old Alba, wandered in delirium away from his cabin and sat down to death in front of Carlyle's airing-out cottage.” —Edward P. Jones, The Known World, 2003
·
Quote of the Day:
“I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” – Thomas A. Edison

Today is
Car Insurance Day
Change Your Password Day
Thanks BA4!

Old 01-31-2015, 10:34 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,017,589 times
Today’s Question:
Chinese New Year begins later this month. 2015 is the Year of the Sheep. According to Chinese Astrology, the year you were born tells a lot more than your age. I was born in the Year of the Rat. What sign were you born under? If you don’t already know, here’s a way to find out: Chinese Zodiac - Chinese Astrology Signs - Astrology.com

I was born in the year of stinky cheese

I leave sticky notes everywhere. If it is something happening soon I will leave notes on my bed or maybe the door knob. Sometimes I leave notes on the dash of the Jeep.

Bonus Question:
I like playing cards and board games. Sometimes I will work on a jigsaw puzzle.

Just For Fun:
A couple miles

The invasion of the stinky cheese snatchers. It was in 3-D. Well maybe 2-D.

Last edited by Alaskan Mutt; 01-31-2015 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: Sometimes

Old 01-31-2015, 10:53 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,387,180 times

Today’s Question:
Chinese New Year begins later this month. 2015 is the Year of the Sheep. According to Chinese Astrology, the year you were born tells a lot more than your age. I was born in the Year of the Rat.
What sign were you born under? If you don’t already know, here’s a way to find out: Chinese Zodiac - Chinese Astrology Signs - Astrology.com
Ox. Though I don't take such classifications seriously.

How do you keep track of dates?
Do you have a wall calendar, a desk calendar, a calendar program on your computer or on your phone, a combination of these or something else?

Wall calendar for month, dry-erase board for the week, and an engagement calendar (paper).
People say "oh, you're so organized"-maybe, but it's not effortless, I pay close attention to dates & times and re-check them often.

Bonus Question:
Double Solitaire, Uno, Grass (card games)
Crossword puzzles, haven't done one in ages but I used to-cryptic crosswords, too
I could solve some of my mazes again

Just For Fun:
Right downtown, so 20 mins. on foot, 5-10 mins. by car
I don't go the cinema and what tv I watch is online.
Last film I watched was the family drama documentary "Dad's in Heaven with Nixon", was pretty good.
Dad's in Heaven with Nixon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the Qs, BA4.
Hoping everyone has a mellow and non-contentious Sunday
(I'm aware there are sports happening, which get some folks a bit overheated).

Last edited by cloven; 01-31-2015 at 11:08 PM..

Old 01-31-2015, 11:04 PM
bjh

60,153 posts, read 30,476,106 times
Today’s Question:

How do you keep track of dates? Do you have a wall calendar, a desk calendar, a calendar program on your computer or on your phone, a combination of these or something else? Wall calendars and a file on my computer. Sometimes even pen and paper!

Bonus Question:
What are some low-tech sports or games you enjoy that don’t require electricity or computers? Some examples would be card games, croquet, darts, board games, jigsaw puzzles, crosswords, horseshoes, Frisbee, volleyball, etc. Scrabble, swimming, and walking.

Just For Fun:
How far is it to your nearest movie theater/cinema? Not far.
What was the last movie you saw that you liked (either on TV or in a theater)? Probably something online. Or bits and pieces of something on TV.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:06 PM

44,670 posts, read 61,774,875 times
Today’s Question:
Chinese New Year begins later this month. 2015 is the Year of the Sheep. According to Chinese Astrology, the year you were born tells a lot more than your age. I was born in the Year of the Rat. What sign were you born under? OX. If you don’t already know, here’s a way to find out: Chinese Zodiac - Chinese Astrology Signs - Astrology.com

Bonus Question:
What are some low-tech sports or games you enjoy that don’t require electricity or computers? Some examples would be card games, croquet, darts, board games, jigsaw puzzles, crosswords, horseshoes, Frisbee, volleyball, etc. Poker, solitaire and crosswords. Occasionally Tiddly-Winks.

Just For Fun:
How far is it to your nearest movie theater/cinema? 5 miles.

What was the last movie you saw that you liked (either on TV or in a theater)? Last movie in a theatre was Forrest Gump, last movie seen was on DVD it was Fargo.

bay4

Spoiler
Congratulations Seattle

Old 01-31-2015, 11:06 PM

61,949 posts, read 87,574,290 times

Today’s Question:

Yes, I know in what year I was born

Bonus Question:

Many: card games, baduk, puzzles, crosswords, chess, backgammon, agon, word games, miniature golf ...

Just For Fun:

I am not sure. Maybe 3 miles. I was in a movie theater last time many years ago

I just saw "How I ended this summer" and I liked it a lot. (Netflix)

Today in History:

Word of the Day:

·
Quote of the Day:
“I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” – Thomas A. Edison <<< hahahahaha!

Today is
Car Insurance Day
Change Your Password Day

Thank you, Bayarea!!!
Have an awesome Sunday, peeps!

Last edited by elnina; 01-31-2015 at 11:45 PM..

Old 01-31-2015, 11:41 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,326,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

Today’s Question:
Chinese New Year begins later this month. 2015 is the Year of the Sheep. According to Chinese Astrology, the year you were born tells a lot more than your age. I was born in the Year of the Rat. What sign were you born under? The Dragon.

How do you keep track of dates? Do you have a wall calendar, a desk calendar, a calendar program on your computer or on your phone, a combination of these or something else? Mostly in the pocket planner I keep in my purse.

Bonus Question:

Just For Fun:
How far is it to your nearest movie theater/cinema? 6 miles.

What was the last movie you saw that you liked (either on TV or in a theater)? Django. It's been a long time.
Thanks, Bay. Have a great Sunday, everyone.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:56 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,052,579 times
Today’s Question:

A monthly planner

Bonus Question:

Just For Fun:
How far is it to your nearest movie theater/cinema? About 10 min away depending upon traffic ... Just down the street from me.

What was the last movie you saw that you liked (either on TV or in a theater)? Hmm.... I haven't seen too many good movies recently so I can't recall ...

Old 02-01-2015, 01:09 AM

38,992 posts, read 22,992,833 times
Today’s Question:
Same as you.

How do you keep track of dates? Do you have a wall calendar, a desk calendar, a calendar program on your computer or on your phone, a combination of these or something else? Desk calendar, program on the computer and actually writing myself notes to remind me. What a concept!

Bonus Question:
What are some low-tech sports or games you enjoy that don’t require electricity or computers? Some examples would be card games, croquet, darts, board games, jigsaw puzzles, crosswords, horseshoes, Frisbee, volleyball, etc. Board games, puzzles and puzzle books like crosswords or word searches.

Just For Fun:
How far is it to your nearest movie theater/cinema? About a mile.

What was the last movie you saw that you liked (either on TV or in a theater)? "Skyfall," which I saw at a theater a couple years ago.

Have a fun and relaxing Superbowl Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics