Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 01:13 AM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times

Advertisements

Morning Shep and all.

Today’s Question:

How do you keep track of dates? Do you have a wall calendar, a desk calendar, a calendar program on your computer or on your phone, a combination of these or something else?
Wall planner for the current year, Filofax (yes, I still use one), smartphone diary on occasions.

Bonus Question:
What are some low-tech sports or games you enjoy that don’t require electricity or computers? Some examples would be card games, croquet, darts, board games, jigsaw puzzles, crosswords, horseshoes, Frisbee, volleyball, etc.
I used to be pretty good at both table tennis (do not insult me by calling it ping pong ) and at volleyball.
At one point in my dim distant past I could regularly score 100+ with three darts

Just For Fun:
How far is it to your nearest movie theater/cinema?

Around twelve miles away. The Odeon Cinema in Salisbury holds an interesting record. The foyer is the oldest cinema foyer in the World, dating back to the 15th Century! It is part of a house built in 1490.

What was the last movie you saw that you liked (either on TV or in a theater)?

The last film I saw at the cinema, I think, was Rush, and was at that cinema.

Rush, directed by Ron Howard. It's the story of the story of the rivalry between James Hunt and Nicki Lauda for the Formula 1 title- a very good film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 01:42 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Good morning and welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, February 1, 2015.

Today’s Question:
Chinese New Year begins later this month. 2015 is the Year of the Sheep. According to Chinese Astrology, the year you were born tells a lot more than your age. I was born in the Year of the Rat. What sign were you born under? If you don’t already know, here’s a way to find out: Chinese Zodiac - Chinese Astrology Signs - Astrology.com

How do you keep track of dates? Do you have a wall calendar, a desk calendar, a calendar program on your computer or on your phone, a combination of these or something else? Plus the month/day shown on the TV channel info.

Bonus Question:
What are some low-tech sports or games you enjoy that don’t require electricity or computers? Some examples would be card games, croquet, darts, board games, jigsaw puzzles, crosswords, horseshoes, Frisbee, volleyball, etc. Most all of them at one time or another.

Just For Fun:
How far is it to your nearest movie theater/cinema?

Quote of the Day:
“I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” – Thomas A. Edison

Today is
National Freedom Day (U.S.A.)
Car Insurance Day
Change Your Password Day
National Girls and Women in Sports Day
Thanks for Sunday's QotD, Bayarea4!

Happy Sunday to all of you, enjoy!

2015 Super Bowl XLIX

-- or if that bowl is not to your liking, try this one --

Kitten Bowl II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPXuyHJeVUg

Old 02-01-2015, 01:47 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,144 times
Today’s Question:
Chinese New Year begins later this month. 2015 is the Year of the Sheep. According to Chinese Astrology, the year you were born tells a lot more than your age. I was born in the Year of the Rat. What sign were you born under? If you don’t already know, here’s a way to find out: Chinese Zodiac - Chinese Astrology Signs - Astrology.com
I already knew... I'm an Ox!

How do you keep track of dates? Do you have a wall calendar, a desk calendar, a calendar program on your computer or on your phone, a combination of these or something else? If I make an appointment on the phone, I write the date and time on a piece of paper... try and store at least the date in my head ... lose the piece of paper... find the piece of paper... and turn up on time. That's pretty much my system.

Bonus Question:
What are some low-tech sports or games you enjoy that don’t require electricity or computers? Some examples would be card games, croquet, darts, board games, jigsaw puzzles, crosswords, horseshoes, Frisbee, volleyball, etc.
Poker, bridge, crosswords - pretty much anything that doesn't involve running around.

Just For Fun:
How far is it to your nearest movie theater/cinema? About a mile and a half.

What was the last movie you saw that you liked (either on TV or in a theater)? I watched The Holiday not long ago - it's been on TV a hundred times - but it's easy to watch and doesn't matter if you miss bits here and there. I'm not very good with movies that require my undivided attention.

Thanks Bay!

Happy Sunday to all.

Last edited by Kobber; 02-01-2015 at 01:56 AM..

Old 02-01-2015, 01:54 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
Today’s Question:

The Rooster is the strutting peacock of the Chinese Zodiac! These quick thinkers (not me) are practical (not me) and resourceful, preferring to stick to what is tried and true rather than taking messy, unnecessary risks (definitely not me). Roosters are keenly observant. (Yep.) It's hard to slip anything past a Rooster, since they seem to have eyes in the backs of their heads! (Yep).

How do you keep track of dates?
I have an engagement calendar on my desk for things I have to do, and a page torn out of a hanging calendar on my frig to keep track of when I did pet meds and exercised.

Bonus Question:

I like most games that don't require physical dexterity (which I lack). Last Saturday I discovered and joined a Bunco tournament when I was tootling around and ended up in a nearby small town. I like word/mind games like Boccherini. I love charades. For outside games, I enjoy friendly leisurely games of croquet and badminton. I've enjoyed putting on historic outside game events at work, like tug o' rope with a real hand made rope, potato sack races, 3 legged races, and etc. I lose patience with jigsaw puzzles. And I can't throw a frisbee properly to save my life.

Just For Fun:
How far is it to your nearest movie theater/cinema? 17.9 miles, says googlemaps.

What was the last movie you saw that you liked (either on TV or in a theater)? Oh my gosh, I just watched "Twentieth Century" on AMC tonight (Lombard and Barrymore). I had never seen it before, and it was really good!

Old 02-01-2015, 02:04 AM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Oh, and if I may belatedly show you why you don't call it ping pong;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbvOGh2T0uQ

The ball is going at over 100 mph at times and in close play there is hardly any time to react.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:14 AM

1 posts, read 545 times
Default Feb 1st Answer

Started riding the Green Machine I got for my 56th Birthday, yeee, haaa. I am an Aquarian too. Reading James Rollins, The Juda Strain. Too busy doing homework and ocassionally binging on serials to watch a movie. Loved History's Son's of Liberty.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:48 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
I have no use for astrology.

I keep track of dates in my head but once in a while, Post-It notes.

Not interested in games online and I don't play any other games. Maybe open to it if I had someone to play with.

The nearest movie theater from me is less than a 2 minutes walk but it's been closed for renovation for several months now. Been living here for 10 months and I never went. Guessing it's been closed for 3-5 months.

Last movie I saw was about 5 years ago. It was a documentary on an all girl rock band in the 1970s which featured Joan Jett called The Runaways. I did enjoy it. I have not seen a movie since and that includes at home.

Thanks, Bayarea4.
Hope everyone has a good Sunday!

Last edited by John13; 02-01-2015 at 02:58 AM.. Reason: Added something in "games" part.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:11 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Oh, and if I may belatedly show you why you don't call it ping pong;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbvOGh2T0uQ

The ball is going at over 100 mph at times and in close play there is hardly any time to react.
Holy smoke! I'll never call it pi... [mumble, mumble] *clapping hand over mouth* again!

Old 02-01-2015, 04:42 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
dog
wall calendar, i also set email alerts so I get reminder emails for appointments, etc.

solitaire, chess, sudoku, etc.

5.6 miles / 11 minutes
Veronika Voss (1982)

Old 02-01-2015, 05:07 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Today’s Question:
Year of the Dragon

How do you keep track of dates? Do you have a wall calendar, a desk calendar, a calendar program on your computer or on your phone, a combination of these or something else?
A wall calendar, phone, computer. Sometimes I don't know what day it is

Bonus Question:
I like badminton, card games~rummy, bullsh*t, ping pong, darts.

Just For Fun:
How far is it to your nearest movie theater/cinema? About 8 miles

Gone Girl on DVD.

Thanks B, have a great Sunday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics