Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 12:55 AM

39,095 posts, read 23,090,035 times

Advertisements

Today's Unhurried Questions: The US $10 bill is going to be re-designed with a woman's portrait on it by about 2020.
Whoever is selected, she cannot be a living person. With that in mind, who would you like to see on the $10 bill? Pat Nixon. The house she lived in as a young girl used to be located a few miles away from me (vandals burned it down a long time ago ).
---> https://thenew10.treasury.gov/faqs
---> https://thenew10.treasury.gov/share-your-ideas

Last time anyone was removed from a
US bill was the 1920s. How much will you miss Alexander Hamilton on the ten? Not much. I only pay attention to the amount on the bill.

What tips do you have for coping with hot weather? Stay inside an air-conditioned building as much as possible, wear light clothing and keep hydrated. Any outdoor activity should be restricted to early morning or after sundown.

How did you spend last Sunday? Ran a few errands then stayed home and read.

Something you own that has a magnet. Mostly my collection of refrigerator magnets.

The last thing you wrote on paper? A note on a yellow sticky at work to help identify what I'm currently working on at the office.

If a book was interesting, but 400 pages long, would that put you off reading it? No. I enjoy reading.

Foodie Questions:
What flavor Slurpee would you like? Orange cream sounds good.

Have you enjoyed watermelon yet this year? Not yet.

If you had to grab something last minute to bring to a potluck this Thursday, food or supplies, what would you bring? Soda and maybe a pie.

Enjoy the last Thursday of June!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 12:59 AM

7,996 posts, read 5,429,956 times
[/u]The US $10 bill is going to be re-designed with a woman's portrait on it by about 2020.
Whoever is selected, she cannot be a living person. With that in mind, who would you like to see on the $10 bill?
Mother Theresa

Last time anyone was removed from a [/b][b]US bill was the 1920s. How much will you miss Alexander Hamilton on the ten? I will miss Alexander very much!

What tips do you have for coping with hot weather? Stay inside with the a/c!

How did you spend last Sunday? City Farmers' Market and a Movie

Something you own that has a magnet.

The last thing you wrote on paper? Notes on what I need to get done today

If a book was interesting, but 400 pages long, would that put you off reading it? Yes

Foodie Questions:
What flavor Slurpee would you like? Coke

Have you enjoyed watermelon yet this year? Not yet!

If you had to grab something last minute to bring to a potluck this Thursday, food or supplies, what would you bring? Vegetables and dip

Have a terrific Thursday!

Old 06-25-2015, 01:42 AM

16,738 posts, read 17,515,861 times
Morning bjh and all.

Today's Unhurried Questions:
The US $10 bill is going to be re-designed with a woman's portrait on it by about 2020.
Whoever is selected, she cannot be a living person. With that in mind, who would you like to see on the $10 bill?

Not my call but how about Amelia Earhart?

Last time anyone was removed from a US bill was the 1920s. How much will you miss Alexander Hamilton on the ten? I'm devastated.

What tips do you have for coping with hot weather? I moved back to England.

How did you spend last Sunday? At an Alice In Wonderland tea party for someone's birthday!

Something you own that has a magnet. My personality.

The last thing you wrote on paper? Some scribblings at work yesterday trying to solve a problem.

If a book was interesting, but 400 pages long, would that put you off reading it? No

Foodie Questions:
What flavor Slurpee would you like? No idea

Have you enjoyed watermelon yet this year? Eating some now.

If you had to grab something last minute to bring to a potluck this Thursday, food or supplies, what would you bring? Melon and prosciutto for a starter

Thanks bjh.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:57 AM

11,421 posts, read 9,350,474 times
You know what they say: time flies when you throw a clock across the room. The 25th is the last Thursday of June 2015, almost halfway to 2016!
Yes, time is flying by...

But you can take your time with . . .

The US $10 bill is going to be re-designed with a woman's portrait on it by about 2020.

If they gotta do it might as well be Rosa Parks. A black person will be next so...

Last time anyone was removed from a US bill was the 1920s. How much will you miss Alexander Hamilton on the ten? I'll still be able to spend a ten dollar bill...

I think putting Rosa Parks on the bill will be cool.

What tips do you have for coping with hot weather? Water, water, and more water. Obviously use common sense too. And stay inside.

Avoid alcohol and caffeine.

How did you spend last Sunday? - I work Sunday's. My only day off is Tuesday.

Something you own that has a magnet. My work ID.

The last thing you wrote on paper? - A reminder on a Post-It Note.

If a book was interesting, but 400 pages long, would that put you off reading it? No.

Foodie Questions:
What flavor Slurpee would you like? I wouldn't have one if you paid me. My body may go into shock.

Have you enjoyed watermelon yet this year? - I haven't had watermelon in probably over 10 years. It's okay but I have no one to share and I haven't been offered any in a very long time.

If you had to grab something last minute to bring to a potluck this Thursday, food or supplies, what would you bring? Quinoa Lima Bean salad that I have been eating almost everyday for the past month from the CO-OP across the street from me. I told a guy attending the salad bar the other day I hope it's a regular staple because I may be addicted to it! He said it was but we'll see. I'm quite capable of making it myself if discontinued.

I'm sure as per usual pot luck I have attended during my work career that whatever I bring I will take most of it home because hardly no one eats the healthy salads that I bring. Sometimes it's the only thing I eat. Hate potlucks for that reason.

Thanks, bjh.
Happy Thursday to all!

Last edited by John13; 06-25-2015 at 03:11 AM..

Old 06-25-2015, 03:05 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,204,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
You know what they say: time flies when you throw a clock across the room. The 25th is the last Thursday of June 2015, almost halfway to 2016!

Whoever is selected, she cannot be a living person. With that in mind, who would you like to see on the $10 bill? N/A

US bill was the 1920s. How much will you miss Alexander Hamilton on the ten? N/A

What tips do you have for coping with hot weather?

Drink a lot. Don't go outside. Don't do much activities. Stay in an igloo.

How did you spend last Sunday?

I did nothing. Watched TV, and other lazy stuff.

I don't know...

The last thing you wrote on paper?

My signature for the hospital.

If a book was interesting, but 400 pages long, would that put you off reading it?

No. I'd like it even more for it.

Foodie Questions:
What flavor Slurpee would you like?

Lemon. I love lemon.

Have you enjoyed watermelon yet this year?

No.

If you had to grab something last minute to bring to a potluck this Thursday, food or supplies, what would you bring?

A ton of French baguettes.

Today in History:
1928 Peyo, illustrator who created The Smurfs, born in Brussels, Belgium
1948 The Berlin airlift, officially called "Operation Vittles," began and lasted almost a year until May 1949
-----> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Blockade
1976 Songwriter and Capitol Records founder Johnny Mercer, died aged 66. He wrote the lyrics for "I'm an Old Cowhand from the Rio Grande", "Hooray for Hollywood", "Jeepers, Creepers!", "You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby", "Fools Rush In", "Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive", "Moon River", and many others.
1981 Microsoft incorporated in Washington state

Today's Quote:
"Somebody said to me, 'But the Beatles were anti-materialistic.'
That's a huge myth. John and I literally used to sit down and say,
'Now, let's write a swimming pool.'"
~ Paul McCartney, British songwriter

Today’s (Slightly Censored) Word:
cockamamie [KOK-uh-mey-mee] adjective
ridiculous, pointless, or nonsensical, ex. a cockamamie idea
Origin: Americanism, at least from 1920s, from paper strip decal with an image which could be transferred to the skin when moistened,
apparently alteration of decalcomania; sense “ridiculous” probably by association with ****-and-bull story, poppycock, etc.

Today Includes:
Bomb Pop Day
Catfish Day
Color TV Day
Day of The Seafarer
Global Beatles Day
Strawberry Parfait Day

This Week Includes:
Watermelon Seed Spitting Week
Lightning Safety Awareness Week
Mosquito Control Awareness Week !! stupid insects...

Wishing you a tail-wagging-good Thursday!
Wishing you and everyone a good day too.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:12 AM

37,827 posts, read 41,163,799 times

Harry Truman. It should be a former president not some PC pick.

Last time anyone was removed from a US bill was the 1920s. How much will you miss Alexander Hamilton on the ten?

He actually had the best image of the bills but he wasn't a president, either, so he can go.

Stay indoors.

Indoors, online for most of the day.

refrigerator magnets are all I can think of.

A few dates on my calendar for the Fall because I received a schedule in email.

If a book was interesting, but 400 pages long, would that put you off reading it?

Not if I selected the book, myself. My nonfiction book group votes on books to read. If it's a book for the month that I would never have selected on my own to read, then I don't like seeing page numbers in the 450 or more range. I chose to read "Lindbergh" (on my own), a biography, not too long ago, and that was 562 pages (just looked) not counting the index, notes, acknowledgements, etc.. It was a good book. But, I have one coming up in August for the book group - 1493 (that's the title not the page number, thank God ) that I'm dreading. It's also in the mid 500 page range. I would have never selected that on my own to read even if it was 200 pages.

Foodie Questions:

Blue, what flavor is that?

Have you enjoyed watermelon yet this year? yes

If you had to grab something last minute to bring to a potluck this Thursday, food or supplies, what would you bring?

Last minute, I wouldn't have anything to bring. I don't have any one item in a large enough supply to bring for a group of people. If I had time to stop, I'd bring potato salad from Buddy's Barbecue.

Really like the photo.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:27 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,744,467 times

Last time anyone was removed from a US bill was the 1920s. How much will you miss Alexander Hamilton on the ten?

What tips do you have for coping with hot weather? Stay hydrated, keep cool by a/c or a fan, stay indoors.

How did you spend last Sunday? Went to the supermarket, came home and watched a movie or two.

Something you own that has a magnet. Refrigerator magnets.

The last thing you wrote on paper? A quote.

If a book was interesting, but 400 pages long, would that put you off reading it? Maybe.

Foodie Questions:
What flavor Slurpee would you like? Cherry.

Have you enjoyed watermelon yet this year? Yes.

If you had to grab something last minute to bring to a potluck this Thursday, food or supplies, what would you bring? Bean salad.

Today in History:
1948 The Berlin airlift, officially called "Operation Vittles," began and lasted almost a year until May 1949
1976 Songwriter and Capitol Records founder Johnny Mercer, died aged 66. He wrote the lyrics for "I'm an Old Cowhand from the Rio Grande", "Hooray for Hollywood", "Jeepers, Creepers!", "You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby", "Fools Rush In", "Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive", "Moon River", and many others.

Today's Quote:

Origin: Americanism, at least from 1920s, from paper strip decal with an image which could be transferred to the skin when moistened,
apparently alteration of decalcomania; sense “ridiculous” probably by association with ****-and-bull story, poppycock, etc.

Today Includes:
Bomb Pop Day
Catfish Day
Color TV Day
Day of The Seafarer
Global Beatles Day
Strawberry Parfait Day

This Week Includes:
Mosquito Control Awareness Week

Today's Nostalgia Picture:
1927, Travel photographer visiting Washington D.C.
This has been one of my favorites for a long time, especially the expression on the dog at the far right.

Library of Congress photo, in the public domain.

Wishing you a tail-wagging-good Thursday! [/quote]

Thanks, bjh.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:09 AM

126,429 posts, read 19,188,797 times

Whoever is selected, she cannot be a living person. With that in mind, who would you like to see on the $10 bill? I don't really know because I live in Canada..

Last time anyone was removed from a US bill was the 1920s. How much will you miss Alexander Hamilton on the ten? I am not even familiar with him

What tips do you have for coping with hot weather? take it as a warrior ...no just kidding..I drink hot tea than rather ice cold drinks, eat spicy food,dip legs and elbows in cold water,unless you have a pool,pond or lake near you,go for early morning and evening walks and just embrace the summer with its heat,humidity and sweat

How did you spend last Sunday? went shopping,and worked in my garden,cooked and served and watched a movie on Netflix

Something you own that has a magnet. advertisements on the fridge,picture frames on the fridge

The last thing you wrote on paper? a eulogy

If a book was interesting, but 400 pages long, would that put you off reading it? nope it just would take me a long time to finish it

Foodie Questions:
What flavor Slurpee would you like? I have not had one since I came to Canada so how about a lemon/lime Slurpee

Have you enjoyed watermelon yet this year? not yet

If you had to grab something last minute to bring to a potluck this Thursday, food or supplies, what would you bring? Samosas and mint sauce

Today in History:
-----> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Blockade

Today's Quote:

Today Includes:
Bomb Pop Day
Catfish Day
Color TV Day
Day of The Seafarer
Global Beatles Day
Strawberry Parfait Day

This Week Includes:
Mosquito Control Awareness Week

Today's Nostalgia Picture:
1927, Travel photographer visiting Washington D.C.
This has been one of my favorites for a long time, especially the expression on the dog at the far right.

Library of Congress photo, in the public domain.

Thank you bjh

Old 06-25-2015, 05:14 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,209,416 times
i have no idea
not much
acclimatize. get used to the weather. little by little, your body will get used to it.
watched a movie
flashlight
signed a check
nope

none
yes
ice

Old 06-25-2015, 05:43 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,401,636 times
Today's Unhurried Questions: The US $10 bill is going to be re-designed with a woman's portrait on it by about 2020.
No opinion-if someone offers ideas, I may agree or disagree, but it's not something I spend time thinking about.
US bill was the 1920s. How much will you miss Alexander Hamilton on the ten?
See previous answer.
The usual-showers, damp towels, ice water, seeking shade, fans.
Reading Stephen King's newest novel from cover-to-cover (430 pgs.).
"Churchkey" bottle opener, which is on door of fridge.
Journal entry.
That's the sort of challenge I'm happy to take on.

Foodie Questions:
Can't recall if I've ever had such a drink. Strawberry, I guess.
Have you enjoyed watermelon yet this year?
Not a thing I eat-so, no.
No idea, food is problematic for me. Paper napkins ?

Today Includes:
Bomb Pop Day <--- Lived on these popsicles for a week or so, when I was 17, had mono & my swollen tonsils made eating impossible.

Thanks for the Qs, bjh.
Hope everyone has a rewarding Thursday.

Last edited by cloven; 06-25-2015 at 05:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics